- 1. Material for production
2. Type of design garden hose . range 6. Storage and maintenance 7. What to look for directly when buying
- Rubber hose
- PVC hose
- PVC hose
No garden or summer cottage can exist without watering. Irrigation systems are different, but in most of them one of the main roles is played by a skillfully selected hose. The variety of this seemingly simple element is simply unimaginable today. Let's see what kind of garden hose for watering really worth buying, and take into account tips on choosing from experienced gardeners.
1. Material production
The choice of material is a very important criterion that determines the service life of the product. Let us consider in more detail all types of materials from which modern watering hoses are made, their main features and highlight advantages and disadvantages of each type.
The most common and affordable form, which is actively used by many consumers. It can withstand a water flow pressure of more than 8 atm., Its service life, if properly used, is about 10 years.
of its application are
universal. Basically it is used for organizing permanent watering systems. The rubber hose can maintain its properties in a wide temperature range - from -30 ° C to + 90 ° C.This inexpensive material has a number of advantages:
- It can be stored in unheated rooms without harm to the product;
- Its structure remains stable even under the long-term influence of ultraviolet rays;
- Unaffected by temperature extremes;
- Not subject to the ravages of chemicals;
- Resistant to external deformations;
- Has a long service life.
Despite significant advantages, like any product, a rubber hose is not without drawbacks:
- It has considerable weight, which makes its transfer across the site inconvenient and traumatic for plants;
- Rubber is a toxic material, so it is absolutely not recommended to use such a product for organizing systems with drinking water. And frankly cheap products can cause damage to plants;
PVC products can be as the most primitive - single-layer without a reinforcing layer, and more durable and reliable - three-layer with a reflective coating. Please note, that transparent hoses are not recommended for masonry along the beds, because under the influence of ultraviolet radiation, over time, its inner surface becomes green and overgrown with microorganisms.
PVC hose withstands water pressure from 1.5 to 3 am. The wall thickness can be as minimal as 1.5 mm, or as thick as 3 mm. The special feature of of such a hose is that it is preferable for watering plants only during their growing season. To , the advantages of of this product include:
- In case of purchasing a reinforced multi-layer hose, you will receive a product that can last for about 35 years;
- Reinforcement is performed in the form of cross-shaped intersections, which allows the walls to withstand pressure up to 40 bar;
- Multilayer PVC hoses include food and non-food plastic in their composition, which prevents the growth of algae in its internal cavity;
- For a long period of time, hoses of this material withstand constant pressure and provide a stable water pressure;
- Affordable cost
Let us turn to disadvantages:
- The simplest single-layer hose is very thin because of which it is prone to bends, fractures, twists, which quickly lose their performance;
- PVC products are subject to rapid fading under the influence of sunlight;
When operating at temperatures lower than -5 ° C, they quickly lose their elasticity;
- The formation and development of algae and microorganisms on the inner walls of transparent products is possible;
- Non-reinforced hoses have a service life of less than 3 years.
Thermoplastic Elastomer Hose
Such a product easily withstands water pressure of more than 8 atm. It can be used at any time of the year, both for simple watering and for other horticultural purposes. Its structure and appearance remain stable and unchanged under the influence of temperatures from -50 ° C to + 90 ° C.This makes the thermoplastic elastomer hose almost universal. What else benefits it possesses:
- High frost resistance;
Even when stored in an unheated room, no creases form on the surface of the hose;
- The soft-touch, non-slip surface makes using the hose very comfortable. Even with high water pressure, it will not slip out of your hands;
- Curl Resistance;
- Increased ductility and flexibility;
- Resistant to UV rays and various chemical reagents;
- Adequate service life - about 15 years.
can be attributed to the disadvantages of the if it is even higher than in previous types, but due to its long service life and the possibility to use the hose all year round and under heavy loads, this disadvantage is considered non-critical.
This type of garden hose is very flexible, soft and flexible. It is recommended to use it exclusively for irrigation by gravity. Silicone product retains its properties in the temperature range from -20 ° C to + 40 ° C.The advantages of the include the flexibility of the hose, due to which fractures and bends are rarely formed and its light weight. The disadvantages of are slightly larger:
- Hose cannot be used for high pressure irrigation. This leads to sprains and cracks in the outer walls. Accordingly, it is impossible to provide a high pressure of the water flow;
- When used under elevated temperatures, the walls of the hose heat up and expand. During reverse cooling, microcracks form in the material structure, which contribute to the rapid destruction of the walls.
Based on the foregoing, it can be argued that silicone hoses can last from 3 to 5 years only if they are properly used.
Unambiguously state that one or another material cannot be better. Each species has its own advantages. The key to a successful choice of will be the selection of material depending on the future application.
2. Type of execution of garden hoses
In the previous paragraph, we mentioned that the garden hose can be made differently and have different wall thickness. Let us consider in more detail the possible options:
- A single-layer hose is rare, but is still commercially available. It does not have any additional coatings on the internal or external walls. In this regard, its resistance to external environmental influences or various reagents almost tends to zero. Because of this, its service life is very limited. Such a product can be stored only in rooms with a positive temperature inside, but not exceeding + 40 ° C.Attract only its low cost. This hose will be convenient to use when overflowing water from one tank into smaller ones.
- The multi-layered hose provides stable resistance to UV light and chemicals. Increased wall thickness ensures its durability and a longer period of operation. Due to its good flexibility, the multilayer hoses are resistant to twisting. They have a high capacity and are able to provide a stable water pressure even under high pressure. These hoses are optimal for daily watering work. They can be stored at a wider temperature range, both in a twisted form in a special bay, and left in the beds for the whole season.
- The reinforced hose is generally multi-layered. Between the layers is a special pad of reinforced fiber. This makes it possible to use such hoses under more severe conditions under heavy loads. This is true in large areas that need regular watering. Many gardeners claim that reinforced PVC or rubber hoses are the most durable and durable, and recommend using them. Due to the thickened structure, the weight of the product increases, which also needs to be taken into account if they are used by older people.
- The expandable hose is a hose-in-hose design. Now the popular name for this type of product has become "Xhose". The inner element is made of rubber rubber, which has tremendous tensile properties. To use it was convenient, the outer layer is made of nylon threads, which limit the degree of stretching of the rubber hose at the right time. Thanks to the nylon coating, the hose is practically free from contamination, is easy to maintain and has an increased wear resistance. It is most suitable for watering ornamental flower beds with flowers and delicate plants or for cleaning the area with constant water pressure. This is true for well-equipped country cottages. In the absence of a good head, which is often found in suburban areas, you may not get the expected effect. Another obstacle to the may be the uneven ground surface, which will complicate the stretching and subsequent assembly of the hose. The self-stretching hose is very lightweight and quickly collapses to compact size, which makes its storage very convenient.
- The spiral hose is very light and compact, gaining more and more popularity among experienced gardeners. It is made from polyurethane or ethyl vinyl acetate. Able to withstand operating pressures up to 5 atm. Its feature is a high degree of stretching due to the spiral manufacturing method. Thus, a folded hose of meter length can stretch to a length of 20-25 meters, while maintaining all its positive qualities. Such a hose does not break and does not drag along the ground, crushing plants in its path. With its help it is very convenient to carry out dot manual irrigation on small areas. Spiral hose can be operated at temperatures from -5 ° C to + 60 ° C.
- The corrugated hose has a distinctive feature - its upper layer is made in the form of corrugations, which helps prevent the formation of creases and kinks. Also corrugated products have increased rigidity, which increases its operational life. At the same time, the product retains a small weight and a sufficient indicator of flexibility. The scope of its application is universal, this design is suitable for the implementation of watering works of any kind.
3. Classification by type of use
Garden hoses can be used in different ways, while providing a different type of watering for plants. Depending on the features of caring for plants growing on your site and the required degree of soil moisture, there are five types of watering hoses :
- Traditional - that is, the most common hose without any design changes. Reliable, versatile product that can be used for watering plants just under the root, and with a gun or sprayer. Optimal species for use in a small garden area with unpretentious plants.
- Drip hose. Accordingly, it provides a drip system for watering plants under the root due to the special design. It is a flat tape with small holes along the entire length, located at a given distance. This hose fits the entire length of the beds and can be used for several seasons.
- Oozing hose is not the same thing as a drip hose. It is made of rubber or polypropylene. Its structure has several layers. In the cavity of the inner layer there is a special labyrinth, which serves for the passage of water. And the outer layer has many micro holes, which are located at a very small distance from each other. Thus, the water seeps through the surface of the hose. Such a system provides very economical watering. It is used locally, laying the hose along the entire length of the bed, but not at the roots, and preferably at a short distance from the ground. This is necessary so that the lower holes are not clogged from contact with wet soil. This is the best option to ensure constant humidity for drought sensitive plants. To use the flowing hose, just connect it to a container with water. The disadvantage of the product is that when using untreated irrigation water, microholes are quickly clogged with mechanical impurities that it contains. Against this background, over time, the internal cavity can become algae. Therefore, if you plan to carry out prolonged irrigation using just such a hose, take care of installing a cleaning filter and periodically clean the system.
- The porous hose made of rubber has small holes all over the surface for slow, continuous water transmission. It is convenient to use it for watering plants that are located on sloping plots or loamy soils that are prone to erosion due to slow moisture saturation. In other words, so that the top layer of soil, which is a steep slope, does not endure in gusts of wind.
- hose-sprinkler or fog hose is capable of splashing water through special openings at a distance of several meters, where it turns into mist and forms a continuous moist cloud. Such a hose is used for gentle irrigation of plants with a shallow root system. Its advantage of is the absence of a crust on the soil, it is not able to wash delicate seedlings with high water pressure, but provides an adequate level of humidity. By adjusting the pressure of the water supplied, you can increase or decrease the irrigated area covered and the height of the formation of fog. If the water pressure is insufficient, watering will be superficial, and the radius of action will be a strip along the system of small width.
4. Length and diameter of the hose
Surely you have already decided on the material of the hose that suits you, with the type of execution of the hose that will satisfy exactly your needs and how to use it. Now it is necessary to determine the required length and diameter. In specialized stores you can purchase garden hoses for a cut or in the bay. The itself is the most common length of the last variant - 15, 20, 25, 30.50 meters. Most are the common diameters of with ½ inch or 12.5-13 mm, inch or 18-19-20 mm, 5/8 inch or 16 mm, 1 inch or 25-25.4 mm or 1 and ½ inch or31.5-32 mm.
- With , choosing the length of the is simple - taking into account the size of your section, select a value that allows you to stretch the hose along the entire length of the beds from the water supply and diagonal of the section. In this case, there will not be enough for sure. Consider and the way in which it is possible to move around your garden or garden. If you can get to the farthest ridge only along the path, which is lined with the letter "G", then it is necessary to take into account precisely this distance to the intake point. If you find it difficult to navigate - draw a rough plan of the site, the location of the paths and beds on it with the size. Think about how the hose will be located when watering, and just add up all the distances you need to cover. If you choose a hose for drip irrigation or oozing hose, which implies location along the entire length of the plantations, add up the length of the section as many times as you have beds and do not forget to take into account the distance to the crane. As necessary and for convenience, several hoses of different lengths can be interconnected using connectors, , which can be made in the form of a Christmas tree, tee or cross. They are attached using galvanized or stainless steel clamps with a worm or bolt connection. But keep in mind that a large number of connections affects the speed and power of the water supply.
- Regarding diameter selection. The main rule of is the diameter of the inner, not outer hole, which must be directly proportional to the length of the hose. Only in this case you will be able to provide constant and sufficient water pressure. If the length of the hose is insignificant, and the diameter of the hole is chosen as the maximum, you will get a thin trickle. Water pressure is simply minimized in a wide internal cavity. Also, a large hole diameter implies high water pressure. If your site does not differ in this indicator, it is better to purchase hoses with a smaller diameter. Conclusion - the longer the hose, the larger the diameter should be, provided water is supplied under sufficient pressure.
5. Choice of working pressure and temperature range
The choice of working pressure means selection of wall thickness of the hose. The most common single-layer hoses without reinforcement can withstand a pressure of not more than 2 bar, while more durable three-layer reinforced products can freely withstand a pressure of 5-6 bar. Therefore, if you see that the water pressure in your area is very large, then you should refrain from purchasing thin-walled products. Otherwise they will simply crack or burst during operation. It is better not to save and purchase more modern and improved types of hoses. The pressure in the system can drop, it can rise, jumps are not excluded, but you will be ready for this and do not damage the watering system. Regarding the temperature range. It is clear that the majority of watering hoses are used in the warm and hot season. Therefore, they should have an upper temperature limit of at least + 40 ° C.But it should not be forgotten that during the cold season, the hoses will either remain on the site or be removed to the economic premises. Not all such buildings are heated, so the lower limit should reach at least -20 ° C.In a word - choose products with a wider temperature range, and you will save yourself from unnecessary extensions or cracking of the walls.
6. Storage and Operation
Despite the high degree of wear resistance of the same PVC hoses, similar garden tools need careful storage and operation, and even the above-mentioned material is no exception. Follow these simple recommendations, and your watering system will serve the promised time without any difficulty:
- When cleaning the hoses for storage in the room, it is better to wind them gently in the bay. Do not throw the hose directly to the floor; there they may be damaged by rodents. It is better to wrap them in a bag or factory packaging and hang on a hook on the wall;
- Even hoses with a high positive temperature limit should not be stored under the scorching sun. Put them in a light-proof box or cover with a tarp;
- Do not put buckets of water, cars, trolleys or other heavy objects on the hoses;
- When transferring the hose behind you from the garden to the garden, make sure that it does not rub against sharp corners and objects;
- If you need to increase the water pressure, do it smoothly;
- Do not exceed the allowable pressure limit on the hose, otherwise it may burst;
- Before you remove the hose to the utility room, be sure to drain the water from it and allow it to dry completely. This will prevent the formation of mold and other bacteria.
7. What to look for immediately when buying
Highlight once again the main points, that will allow you to purchase a quality product with a long service life:
- Choose opaque hoses, this will save you from unwanted microorganisms and green walls;
- It is not recommended to purchase cheap Chinese-made hoses that have a characteristic unpleasant smell of naphthalene. Working with such a product will be unpleasant, and the smell can remain persistent for a long time. It is also worth thinking about the quality of the materials used, which have such a smell. It is possible that they can harm young plants;
- Pay attention to the appearance of the product. The color over the entire length should be uniform. The surface should be smooth, but not slip out of hands. Besides the fact that the hose must lie securely in the hand, it must also slide freely over the ground;
- When buying spiral hoses, consider the perimeter of the plot. In large areas it may be ineffective. Yes, and carry out watering the beds of this scale manually will be very tiring and long;
- The minimum length of the garden hose must be equal to the maximum distance from the water supply to the farthest bed;
- If you have not been able to determine the diameter of the inner hole - contact the seller for help;
- Buy products with a wide range of operating temperatures.