- Advantages and disadvantages of vinyl wallpaper
How to choose vinyl wallpaper? How to glue vinyl wallpaper?
- The advantages should include:
- There are some negative aspects:
At the end of
- Surface preparation
- Cutting wallpaper
Each of us, starting repair work, first of all thinks about the future interior of the room. Wall decoration is one of the most important issues to be solved. The modern market offers so many different options that the eyes just run away, but many people choose the traditional and proven for decades option - wallpaper. But if a couple of decades ago, paper wallpapers were at the peak of popularity, today vinyl won the championship. They amaze with a variety, operational qualities and relative simplicity in installation. This is a universal option that is suitable for almost all rooms in the apartment. But, to get a great result, you first need to figure out how to choose vinyl wallpaper, how to glue them, and what they are .
What are vinyl wallpapers? They consist of two layers: the top or front one is made of polyvinyl chloride, whence the name, and the bottom, main layer, can be paper or non-woven. The top layer can be of any color and texture, imitate any material, it perfectly resists a variety of dirt and mechanical damage. Non-woven base is much stronger paper, more durable and strong, but also costs more.
Both non-woven fabric and paper are breathable, but the vinyl layer cannot boast with this feature, which is one of its main drawbacks. Today in the collections of some European manufacturers have already appeared vinyl wallpaper, which can "breathe" , but they cost a lot, and so far are not very common.
Advantages and Disadvantages of
Vinyl Wallpaper Before proceeding to the selection and sticking, it is necessary to carefully weigh all the pros and cons of vinyl wallpaper.
The advantages should include:
- unlimited variety options that differ in color, topography, can imitate wood, stone, leather, fabric, etc. With vinyl wallpaper, you can easily embody any interior dream;
- vinyl wallpapers can easily to disguise small defects of and wall irregularities;
- relatively low cost ;
- vinyl wallpaper can even be used in rooms with high humidity , without fear of harming their appearance. In addition, they are resistant to moisture levels;
- over time, even in the most sunny rooms, such wallpapers will not fade and will not lose their former appearance;
- durability ;
- vinyl wall-paper on a flizelinovy basis quite well take the form of a wall, do not shrink therefore they can be used even in new buildings.
There are also some negative aspects:
- air tightness , which can adversely affect the microclimate of the room, so you should not use this finish for the children's room. If, however, the choice fell on vinyl wallpaper, then it is better to find those that will pass the air, but such a decision would be expensive;
- with some types of vinyl wallpaper may experience difficulties in sticking , which are associated with expansion during wetting and narrowing during drying. As a result, there may be a problem with fitting the seams;
- Some samples of smell like , but the smell usually disappears quickly with proper ventilation.
How to choose vinyl wallpaper?
Vinyl wallpapers for different types of may differ slightly in performance and characteristics. Depending on where the wallpaper will be hung, and what requirements are put forward to them, you can choose one of the following types:
- foamed vinyl .This is one of the most common wallpaper options, which can be recognized by relief. They are produced by cold embossing pattern, and their surface is never smooth. Their difference is very low weight, so bulk-looking rolls are lightweight by weight. Due to this relief, wallpaper can hide small bumps and even cracks on the walls. Moreover, before their glueing the walls do not require careful preparation. It is very easy to glue them, and at the expense of their minimum weight they will hold on the wall for a long time;
- Silk Screen .Contrary to the name, in such vinyl wall-paper there are no silk threads, and the main feature of their production is the use of hot stamping of the pattern. This type of vinyl wallpaper is also popular in the modern construction market, as it combines a lot of advantages: a chic appearance, the ability to choose absolutely any pattern and texture, durability, and durability. They may resemble textile wallpaper, metal surface, decorative stone, etc.- options weight. The outer surface of such wallpaper, as a rule, durable and smooth, can be matte or glossy;
- smooth vinyl ( kitchen or thick vinyl).These wallpapers are great for rooms with high humidity, in particular for kitchens and baths. Make them out of rubberized vinyl. The finished product looks very dense, but it has tremendous operational properties: it is dirt-repellent, water-resistant, it can be washed. Such wallpaper can easily replace ceramic tiles. Despite the name of this type of wallpaper, they are not always smooth, and may have a relief surface. As for the variety of drawings and textures, their weight, so any design idea can be easily implemented. Caring for them is also as simple as possible, and some manufacturers offer wallpapers that can be cleaned even with a washing vacuum cleaner. With all these advantages, this type of decoration can be used only in bathrooms and kitchens, and in no case in a nursery or bedroom. Firstly, these wallpapers are thick and rough, and, secondly, they are not environmentally friendly for use in such rooms;
- hard vinyl is a relatively new coating that has not yet found wide distribution in the domestic market. It is a dense and durable material that can be perfectly used in conditions of high humidity, but it is also breathable. It can be of any color, pattern and relief, repeating the texture of stone, wood, leather, Venetian plaster.
Naturally, it is necessary to choose the type of vinyl wallpaper, starting from the type of room where they will be used, and only then determine the color and other purely aesthetic parameters. By the way, it is worth noting that if the walls are not enough smooth , then you can hide all defects with the help of volumetric wallpaper, and smooth matte will only emphasize all the flaws.
In addition, it is also important to immediately be aware of the basis on which the wallpaper should be. Of course, if this is a kitchen or a bath, then it is better to choose non-woven, and for the living room, bedroom or office you can use more affordable vinyl wallpaper on a paper basis.
With , the choice of color and pattern of will enable everyone to cope on their own: it all depends on their own taste and future interior. But still you should not glue dark wallpaper in dark rooms, and in the rooms with windows to the north - wallpaper of cold shades and vice versa. If the room is small, then it is also better to refuse too large patterns on the wallpaper. But thanks to vinyl wallpapers, you can create an imitation of brickwork, tiles, fabric coverings, etc. on the walls.
Also, having decided on the type and design of the wallpaper, and going to make a purchase, pay attention to some subtleties :
- All wallpaper rolls must be of the same batch and manufactured at the same time. At first glance, the same wallpaper may differ in color if it was made at different times. In the room it will be very noticeable;
- plastic packaging must be complete;
- should be available in the instructions for sticking;
- compliance with all standards and regulations;
- if the price is lower than the market, then such wallpaper is unlikely to surprise you with quality. Therefore, think carefully before you make such a deal;
- the name of the manufacturer today means a lot, so it is better to give preference to well-known and reputable companies.
How to glue vinyl wallpaper?
In principle, the process of gluing vinyl wallpaper is not so difficult, and almost everyone can cope with it. But still there are a few nuances that are worth paying attention to.
First of all, you need to figure out, what kind of tools you need:
- selected wallpaper;
- level, ruler and knife;
- primer brush;
- roller for glue;
- spatula for smoothing wallpaper;
- roller for rolling seams;
- cloth or sponge for wiping off excess glue;
- a small brush for gluing wallpaper in hard to reach places.
Before starting work, you need to get rid of the traces of the old coating and level the walls. Small defects can be puttied, and in the presence of large irregularities, you may need plaster or even drywall, the sheets of which can simply and quickly align the walls.
After leveling, a primer is applied to the walls. If the walls are concrete, there is no way to do without a primer, otherwise stains may appear on the wallpaper. You can use special formulations or simply dilute wallpaper glue. It is also advisable to treat the surface with a fungicidal composition to prevent mold.
On the wall, it is better to draw a vertical line strictly along the level so that the wallpaper canvases are pasted as evenly as possible. Before sticking remove the plinth, cover sockets and switches.
Before you open the rolls of wallpaper, once again, make sure that they have the same pattern, and they belong to the same party. To cut the monochrome wallpaper is a breeze: you only need to know the height of the wall and leave a few centimeters below and above for allowances.
If an is painted on the wallpaper, then it must be correctly aligned. Cutting in this case is carried out taking into account the combination of the pattern, and the allowances will take much more wallpaper. On the reverse side, each canvas is numbered, and it marks on it where the top and bottom are. If you choose wallpaper with a pattern, it is better to buy them with a good supply.
First you need to prepare wallpaper glue .It is better to choose special compositions for vinyl wallpaper and prepare them exactly in accordance with the instructions and let it swell for 10 minutes. On the wallpaper, there must necessarily be a labeling on how they should be glued: apply glue to the wall or wallpaper. By the way, there is a wallpaper on which the glue has already been applied, and in this case the task is simplified as much as possible.
If the glue needs to be applied to the wall, then you should use a roller to coat the wall with the first sheet. If the canvas is glued, then it is unnecessary to apply too much glue to it, otherwise it can stretch out noticeably: the glue is applied with a roller in a thin even layer.
Experts recommend starting gluing from the window and working together, holding the canvas above and below. After you attach it to the wall, it is necessary to displace excess glue and air bubbles from under it with a roller. Movement made from the center of the strip to its edges. Speaking glue immediately wipe with a sponge or cloth.
When the strip of wallpaper is glued, you can cut off the allowances. Near the ceiling it is removed completely, cutting off with a sharp knife and holding the edges with a spatula. The bottom edge of the wallpaper should go 4-6 mm under the baseboard.
We do the same with the next strip. Vinyl wallpaper glue butt-on , so you need to be very careful and focused. If you chose plain wallpaper, the task is simplified. You can glue the canvas overlapping, then cut the place of their overlapping each other in the middle with a knife and remove the two thin stripes formed. The result is a perfect joint.
The places where the sockets and switches are installed are glued, and when the glue dries, cuts are made in their place. For radiators, for example, wallpaper does not glue, as this is a laborious process. The walls there can be painted to match the wallpaper and everything, if that is possible.
The optimum conditions for for these works are the temperature of 20-240С and the absence of drafts.
Vinyl wallpaper is a universal option for wall decoration. They will suit any type of room, as there are different types, they will be able to satisfy any design idea, since a wide variety of patterns and textures are produced. It is not difficult to cope with glueing, and even a beginner can do this, but if you are not completely confident in your abilities, you should start with finishing the hallway or corridor, so that later in the living room or bedroom you can glue vinyl wallpapers perfectly.