- №1.We update the ceiling
- №2.We eliminate the defects of the walls
- №3.We repair the floor covering
- №4.We put in order the plumbing
- №5.Replace the lamps
- №6.Let's organize the correct storage of
- No. 7.Considering the little things
- In conclusion,
Is it possible to update the situation in the bathroom in the shortest possible time and with little cost? If you correctly approach this issue, you will be able to significantly transform the bathroom, without resorting to overhaul, the very mention of which frightens many. Redecoration in the bathroom and toilet involves the restoration or replacement of finishes, plumbing fixtures, lamps, installation of new furniture and other modifications that do not relate to the replacement of water and sewer pipes and redevelopment. We understand what can and should be done, what work can be done independently, and for which it is better to call in specialists.
# 1.We update the ceiling.
Constant temperature changes and high humidity in the bathroom adversely affect any finishing material. First of all it concerns the
ceiling, lined with whitewash or paint.
It is impossible to apply a new layer of finish to the old one, therefore first of all it is important to remove the damaged layer. To remove whitewash, it is necessary to wet the surface section by section with warm water( use a roller, sponge or sprayer), and after a couple of minutes, remove the old material with a spatula. If in some places whitewashing will not give in, then you can use a brush with metal bristles.
If the ceiling was painted with moisture resistant paint , then work on the dismantling of the finish will be somewhat more complicated. You can use the belt grinder or a drill with a special nozzle: the paint will come off relatively easily, but there will be a lot of dust, so take care of protecting plumbing and furniture, and do all the work in a respirator. There is also the thermal method , which involves the use of a building hair dryer, it heats up a section of paint, which is then removed with a spatula. An alternative option is the method of shock therapy: first, the paint surface is rubbed with a metal brush until numerous scratches are formed, then it is moistened with warm water and again it is rubbed with a brush, you can additionally arrange a draft. After all this, the paint itself must fall off in layers.
After the old damaged finish layer is removed, you can proceed to applying fresh. If painting is chosen, the surface of the ceiling should be smooth, without cracks, pre-primed. The paint should be resistant to moisture and it is desirable to have antifungal components in its composition. From low-cost methods to finish the ceiling, you can select the glass and polystyrene foam tiles. The suspended and stretch ceiling systems will cost more expensive, which will perfectly hide the flaws of the original surface( some even do not take off the old trim) and allow you to use spectacular built-in lighting. On the other hand, such constructions "steal" part of the height, so if it is in short supply, then it is better to consider other options.
№2.We eliminate the defects of the walls of the
. Despite the existence of many ways to finish the walls in the bathroom, more than half of the bathrooms today are decorated with ceramic tiles .It is the most durable and wear-resistant material, but even on it small defects may appear over time. Depending on their scale, the nature of the work will be different:
- if the whole tile is whole, has no cracks or chips, then focus better on the seams. Under the action of moisture, they begin to darken or turn yellow, making the bathroom sloppy and betraying the fact that the overhaul has not been done for a long time. It is often enough to only update the seams of the to create the effect that the tile was laid only yesterday. If the active cleaning of the old grout does not bring the desired result, you will have to remove the old joints with a spatula or a knife and apply a new grout. You can simply cover the seams with special paint, but all the work will need to be done extremely carefully. A sanitary silicone sealant, which eventually loses its original appearance, may also need to be replaced. It is removed, the place is treated with a composition against mold and filled with a fresh seam of sealant;
- if a couple of tiles have small scratches and chips , you can do with minimal investment and level the surface with mastic or putty on a polymer base;
- seriously damaged tiles are removed with a chisel and a hammer, and new whole elements are fastened in their place. However, this option is possible if the tile was taken with a stock, and this stock was responsibly kept until minor repairs.
In cases where the tile is badly damaged in many places or you want to completely update the situation, they resort to complete dismantling. Then the choice is yours: use a new tile or replace it with a painting, PVC panels or moisture-proof gypsum plasterboard.
You can keep the old tile and paint the walls to match it - with a limited budget, but with a careful approach to the design you can achieve excellent results. Craftsmen advise another interesting option to update the tile without dismantling it: a special primer is applied to the surface, allowing you to repaint the tile or draw any necessary ornaments.
If the condition of the bathroom as a whole is not bad and there is a minimum of time allocated for repairs, the vinyl stickers , which are absolutely not afraid of moisture, will help to update the situation. You can glue them on tiles, painted surfaces and other materials. The choice is huge, so you can decorate the walls with floral motifs and geometric shapes. On sale you can find a film with a pattern printed on it, this is a semblance of photo wallpaper. Such a film can be glued over at least the entire surface of the tile, but it is desirable that the base be light and solid.
№3.We repair the flooring
The floor in the bathroom suffers no less, and maybe more, other surfaces. It is constantly affected by moisture from spilled water and wet feet, so there is a high probability that the list of works on redecorating will include updating the floor.
The leader among the floor finishing in the bathroom - ceramic tile .Update methods here are the same as for the wall counterpart. The seams will need to be put in order in any case, since they darken on the floor much faster than on the walls, and then we look at the state of the tile. We repair or change the damaged elements, and if everything is completely bad, then we remove all the tiles and lay a new one, or use a different type of coating, for example, self-leveling floors.
№4.We put in order the plumbing
Repair old plumbing will be cheaper than buying a new one. The old bath can be decontaminated with special store supplies or you can use a solution of vinegar and salt to get rid of rust. If this does not help, use more costly, but much more efficient ways:
- enameling .For the work will require a special enamel, hard and soft brush. Enamel is prepared in accordance with the instructions, the first layer is applied with a hard brush, then after about 20 minutes a second layer is applied with a soft brush, trying to make it as even as possible and without smudges. It takes about a week to solidify;
- method of “filling bath” involves the use of liquid acrylic. The mixture is poured on the sides, and it flows freely down, forming a uniform layer. From the old cast-iron bath, a new acrylic is obtained. Material hardens for about 4-5 days, during this period no water should get onto its surface;
- uses acrylic liners , which completely follow the contours and dimensions of the old bath. This is the fastest way to upgrade, but will cost a little more than the previous two and is not suitable for non-standard bath configurations. It is difficult to install such an insert yourself - the help of professionals will be required.
The outer side of the bath also needs to be put in order and the easiest way to do this is to close it with a screen. Plumbing, which does not cope with its functions, can not be repaired or simply does not like the appearance and functionality, will have to be replaced. Designers say that you should only change the faucet in the bathroom or in the sink, and the room will be perceived completely differently. It is necessary to be guided in choosing a new mixer not only for the appearance, but also for the type of connection and other parameters.
If minor alterations can be mastered by yourself, then works on complex plumbing repairs, replacing it, connecting new equipment is better than to entrust professionals in order to make sure that everything will work, and your own bathroom and neighboring apartments will not suffer from the flood. Residents of Moscow and the Moscow region can apply for qualified assistance to the construction company "Etalon", which will help with the plumbing fixtures and, if necessary, perform turnkey apartment renovation: the price per square meter is calculated depending on the work performed.
When carrying out repairs in the bathroom lighting often do not pay enough attention, making a big mistake. Properly organized lighting and interesting lamps can affect the perception of the room as much as a new tile or shower cubicle.
The easiest way to replace the cover of the old lamp. You can go a little further and create several new areas of lighting, using lamps or LED strip near the mirror or cabinets. A great option for the bathroom - bus systems that can be mounted to existing wiring. Their light is easy to direct to any point in the bathroom.
When organizing a new light source, wiring will have to be arranged outside the walls. There is an option that involves laying the cable in the seam between the tiles, but where it is safer to use a special box. When choosing a luminaire, pay attention that it is suitable for use in wet areas.
№6.Let's organize the correct storage of
. The main problem of modern bathrooms is their insufficient area. Therefore, all things stored in the bathroom should be carefully reviewed and thrown away almost empty jars, old washcloths, unnecessary utensils, which only litter the space. All really necessary things are best kept on closed shelves and in cabinets.
When redecorating a bathroom, you can replace the old furniture with an or refit an existing by repainting it or gluing a film. The mirror can be replaced with a mirrored wall cabinet, hang a shelf above the toilet door, and provide the door itself with hooks, baskets and an organizer. Carefully laid out things - a pledge that the bathroom will be perceived more free and spacious.
№7.We take into account the little things
From the details of the overall impression of the bathroom. Accessories can greatly affect the perception of space and transform even the most simple repair. Think over to buy a new rug, a curtain for a bathroom, a set of towels, and also a soap tray and a cup for the toothbrushes, executed in one style. This is not a very high cost, and the bathroom will immediately acquire a hue of novelty.
It may be worthwhile to move towel hooks in order to increase the level of comfort and aesthetics of the room. The curtain under the bathroom can be replaced with a screen: in most cases, this option will be more justified, the only exception will be a Provence or Country bathroom. If necessary, it is worth replacing the handles on the furniture and doors, hooks and other accessories.
redecoration lasts from a couple of days to a week and is capable of giving an excellent result with minimal waste. Do not overdo it with attempts to save - some things relating to plumbing and electricity, it is better to entrust specialists. If there is no time, opportunity and minimum skills, then cosmetic repairs in general can be entrusted to a team of professionals. Remember that even the highest quality repairs can quickly spoil, if you do not maintain order and cleanliness.