- Advantages of cork wallpaper
- Disadvantages of cork wallpaper
- How to choose a cork wallpaper?
- How to paste cork wallpaper?
- In conclusion
Cork wallpaper is one of the most environmentally friendly and beautiful materials for wall decoration. They appeared on sale not so long ago, but during this short period they had already become very popular, and all thanks to their uniqueness. They create in the room a special comfort, pleasing the household with its appearance and performance. WhatMain advantagesthis type of finish,how to choose the right cork wallpaper, and what you need to know tocorrectly paste them?
Cork wallpaper with its own name gives out the features of its origin. So, in their basis liescork bark, which grows in Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Portugal and in many countries of Africa. The bark is crushed and pressed, and then applied to paper or used as a stand-alone material.
Do not confuse cork wallpaper with other types of decoration materials for walls based on cork.
Advantages of cork wallpaper
Cork wallpaper is a unique and versatile material, which is confirmed by their many advantages:
- naturalness and environmental friendliness, because the composition of the wallpaper includes either just a cork or a cork on a paper basis. Such a finishing material can be safely used in children's rooms and in kitchens, because it will not emit any substances harmful to human health;
- such wallpaperDo not accumulate static electricity and repel dust, which once again confirms the possibility of using them even in children's rooms;
- soundproofing. Cork wallpaper thanks to its structure can delay a significant part of the sounds, and that's why they are great for those who are not lucky with noisy neighbors, and for those who live near the busy trails;
- heat insulation:the wood itself is a warm coating, and yet it is capable of retaining heat and not releasing it to the outside environment, maintaining an optimal microclimate;
- cork wallpaperdo not absorb odors, theyfire-resistant, so they can be used even in kitchens. Moreover, they even oppose the spread of fire;
- opportunityuse cork wallpaper even in rooms with a high level of humidity, if there is a coating of wax or if you cover the wallpaper yourself with lacquer;
- durability. Cork wallpaper will please you with its original appearance for a very long time, not succumbing to the influence of moisture and high temperatures. In addition, the coating is resistant to mechanical damage, excellent repels dust and dirt;
- cork hasbactericidal properties, so it does not get fungus and mold does not appear, although it is a natural organic material;
- Easy care;
- nice and nobleappearance.
Disadvantages of cork wallpaper
Like any other finishing material, cork wallpaper is not without flaws, but there are not many of them:
- thoughprocess of gluingalmost does not differ from the installation of other types of wallpaper, yet to cope with this task will be slightly more difficult, which is due to their greater weight;
- must be carefullyprepare the surface, so that it is perfectly even;
- small assortmentdrawings and colors. This is a natural coating, and the range of colors is very limited. In principle, this can not be called a significant drawback, but a small choice of colors and patterns may not satisfy some design ideas;
- high price, but it is more than compensated by the longevity of the coating;
- Cork wallpaper, although it will withstand some mechanical effects, but still under strong pressure or in contact with a sharp objectmay be damaged, so you need to be careful;
- wallpaper that will be used in the bathroom and in the kitchen, you need extrawaterproof.
How to choose a cork wallpaper?
To cork wallpapers showed maximum of their advantages and were durable, it is important to pay attention not only to their gluing, but also the choice. So, today in the market appeartwo main types of cork wallpaper:
- Bottomless cork wallpaper. They are made from crushed bark: it is pressed, resulting in glueing out substances, and when exposed to high temperatures, all components are glued together. This coating is more natural, but also more fragile. Find it today is very difficult, because it is not in great demand;
- cork wallpaper on paper basis: in this case a crushed stopper with a thin layer of 1 mm is applied to the paper. These wallpapers are more durable, and they are much easier to work with, and if you will glue the wallpaper with your own hands, it is better to stay on this type of cover.
In addition, today on sale you can find cork wallpaperon a non-woven basis, and fleece, as is known, largely repeats the properties of paper, only differs increased strength. That is why this type of finish will be as durable and simple as possible in the installation. There is alsoself-adhesive wallpaper, which are suitable for mounting on any surface, but they are not often found in building stores.
As for thecolor and pattern selection, in this case there is not a huge assortment, so you have to choose between different natural shades: from dark yellow to brown. In any case, cork wallpaper will bring a feeling of warmth and comfort to the room.
It is important to pay attention topacking of wallpapers, which must be complete. It is good, if the manufacturer appends to the production and the instruction on installation in which specifies all nuances of work with a concrete covering. It is also necessary to find out whether there are relevantcertificates for products, which confirm its quality and safety.
Cork wallpaper - one of the few types of coatings, when selecting which you need to pay special attention to thetype of glue. So, for example, PVA glue will be too weak, and liquid nails - too powerful, and eventually the coating in the future will be very difficult to dismantle. It is better to choose a special glue for cork wallpaper, or glue Kelid or Moment.
Cork wallpaper is so versatile thatsuitable for finishing almost any room:
- in the nursery they can be used at the expense of their naturalness and ecological compatibility, but, at the same time, Little children who love exploring the world can damage the cover and impair it. appearance;
- in the living room and bedroom, cork wallpaper will create the proper coziness and relaxing atmosphere;
- for the hallway they are also excellent, because you do not have to be afraid of moisture, and the small scratches that are inevitable in this room will not be noticeable;
- in the bathroom, this coating shows itself perfectly, despite the fact that it is based on a natural tree. Cork wallpaper is not affected by moisture, they will not become a place of development of mold or fungus;
- in the kitchen, cork wallpapers also excel at the expense of not accumulating smells and dust, easy to clean, not to be afraid of moisture and fire. True, for the kitchen and the bathroom you must choosewallpaper with a wax coating or independently cover them with varnish.
How to paste cork wallpaper?
Although gluing cork wallpaper - this is not the easiest process, yet with a certain amount of patience you can manage yourself. First you need to bring all the rolls of cork wallpaper into the room where they will be mounted, for 2-3 days, in order to prevent further deformation and shrinkage of the coating.
In addition, it is necessarycarefully prepare the surface- it should be perfect. Otherwise, the coating will begin to deform, peel off, and joints will diverge. That is why it is so important to clean the walls well of the old paint and wallpaper, then plaster or fill the surface. After that, the surface is treated with a primer to increase the adhesion strength between the wall and the wallpaper.
Now go tocutting wallpaper:for this it is necessary to measure the height of the walls in the room, but do not forget that at different points it can be different, so it is better to make measurements every 30-50 cm. To the result obtained, add 5-15 cm to the allowances and proceed to cutting the material. When all the strips of wallpaper are cut, they are left on a flat surface and allow a little time to lie down and level off.
Glue wallpaper on the wall can beboth vertically and horizontally, depending on the preferences of each and the design idea. Before gluing it is better to makemarking of wallsto ensure a more simple installation and, as a result, a qualitative result. From the floor or angle lay the width of a roll of wallpaper, draw a line along the level, then again retreat the distance, draw another line. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the above allowances.
The glue can be appliedas on the walls, and on the wallpaper itself, or both there and there at once, unless otherwise specified in the instruction. If you have purchased self-adhesive wallpaper, then you do not need to prepare and apply glue, and the procedure for installing the coating is simplified as much as possible. Since the cork wallpaper is very heavy, the adhesive must be of high quality and provide a reliable attachment to the wall.
It is better to glue the cork wallpaper together, so as not to tear and not deform the coating. Each strip is gently but firmly pressed against the wall, ironing with a roller to remove all air bubbles and excess glue. Such wallpaper can not be broken, because there will be cracks.
The gluing is madebutt-end, and the places of joining the wallpaper are then rolled with a roller. Surplus wallpaper from the top and bottom is better to cut with scissors, and not with a knife, and do not need to wait until the coating dries. Surplus glue is removed after it has solidified, and while using a knife. If air bubbles are formed when sticking, which can not be removed by rolling with a roller, then try piercing them with a needle or an awl and then pour in the syringe with glue.
Dry cork wallpaper2-3 days, and at this time you need to eliminate all drafts, so it's better to close windows and doors.
The service life of the coating is not less than 10 years, andwith proper care- and all 20. So, best after installationcover the wallpaper with lacquer, and choose a "breathing" composition. Periodically it will be necessary to wipe the surface with a damp sponge, but the use of detergents and cleaning agents is strictly prohibited. Also, you can sometimes vacuum the surface to get rid of dust. If there are stains, then you can use sandpaper.
Although cork wallpapers are a lot, and the process of their installation requires special attention, yet this is an excellent coverage, which wins its naturalness, safety, environmental friendliness, durability and resistance to moisture and fire. To all these advantages of wallpaper displayed in full, you only need to properly select and paste them.