Content of the article:
The main advantage of creating flowerbeds from pipes is the absence of financial investments or their minimum costs. Often, after repair or other work, unused materials or their waste remain( in this case, pipe trimming).Two types of beds can be made from large pipes:
Horizontal beds from
pipes For horizontal beds, a large diameter pipe should be cut to the required length( it will be the length of the flowerbed after installation), put plugs on both sides, retreat a little from the edge and cut the middle of the pipe to half its diameter or slightly more. It is important not to forget to make holes for drainage, so that the plants in such a bed will not be lost due to stagnant moisture. Ready to put a flower bed on the rack-support so that it does not roll around the site.
If only the pipes of medium diameter were at hand, they would make an excellent hanging flowerbed.
Vertical beds from pipes
Making a low vertical bed from a pipe of very large volume is even simpler: if the length of the pipe( it will be its height) is not very large, the bed is ready. It remains only to put them in the chosen place, fill them with nutritive soil and plant the plants. Too long pipes can be cut into pieces of the desired length.
If there is a shortage of space, you can put vertical beds on the racks, resulting in a multi-tiered bed, which will allow you to grow many plants with minimal use of space.
When using a metal pipe, care must be taken that the planted plants do not touch it, and shift the possible contact points with small planks. Such a bed is placed in a darkened place, since the metal tends to heat up in the sun.
To create a multi-tiered flower bed:
- Cut the pipe into equal pieces.
- Cut small holes in which plants will be planted, given that in narrow openings there will be little room for development, and soil may fall out of wide openings.
- On both sides, close the pipe with special plugs of suitable size.
- Insert a small pipe into the inside of a large pipe so that it is convenient to water it, with the smaller pipe protruding 10 cm from the top and closing.
- To do in the pipe, which is inserted, the outlets for water, and seal the lower part of it with tape.
- Fill the flower bed first with a small amount of expanded clay( for drainage), then with nutrient soil, watering it as it fills to avoid the formation of a void inside the pipe.
This option of creating a vertical flower bed is widely used by both gardeners to grow strawberries and flower growers for climbers, for example, petunias.