Rules for the care of euonymus in room conditionsEven beginner lovers of ornamental cultures can take care of it.
- The shrub grows well in almost any soil, as long as the substrate is loose and permeable to moisture and air.
- Euonymus of all kinds tolerate shade well, but a compact, even crown and bright color of autumn foliage can be obtained only if the bush is planted in a well-lit place or at least in partial shade.
- Dry air is also not destructive for shrubs, but dry soil can cause foliage to wilt and premature abscission.
- The rest period lasts from November to April, during the cold season. In these months, the plant almost does not need moisture and nutrients. Shrub illumination decreases.
The same rules should be followed when planting and caring for a room, as in the photo, with an euonymus.
Planting and subsequent maintenance of indoor euonymus
For euonymus requires loose soil with a weak alkaline reaction, abundance of nutrients and good permeability. If the plant is not planned to be rigidly formed, a mixture of turf soil, sand and humus can be taken.
For bonsai, it is useful to add loam to the substrate in order to provide better grip of the root system with a small earth ball.
In order to limit the growth of the shrub and facilitate the care of euonymus, planting is carried out in a small-sized pot whose width is equal to or greater than the depth. At the bottom of the tank, a drainage is made to remove moisture from the plant and prevent rotting of the roots.
When planting, it is important to preserve the integrity of the initial coma of soil around the roots. Therefore, the plant is immersed in a recess made in advance in the substrate, then the voids are filled with soil and compacted neatly. Soil during planting should be wet, like the root system of the plant.
Read also: Features of growing eosklet garden
Care for euonymus after planting includes:
- regular watering when the topsoil is dry under a bush;
- top dressing with complex means from April to September with a frequency of 2 times a month;
- spraying the crown of euonymus in particularly hot summer days;
- forming crown pruning prior to the beginning of the active growing season;
- nipping side shoots appearing in summer;
- sanitary pruning in autumn;
- plant transplant every 3–4 years.
At home, the Euonymus feels good on the western or eastern windows.
It is better to protect a plant from direct sunlight, and if it is possible, it is best to keep shrubs in the fresh air from spring to the onset of autumn coolness. The wintering of the euonymus takes place in a cool room. Watering is carried out very sparingly, fertilizing is not needed.
Breeding of Euonymus at home.
The room flower of an Euonymus can be propagated with the help of seeds collected from matured and opened boxes, as well as by cutting.
If a grower has at his disposal seeds of a suitable grade and quality, they are placed in a container with moistened sand and sent to a household refrigerator for three months. Positive temperatures close to zero will harden planting material and activate pecking.
After the expiration of the period of stratification, the container is removed from the cold and placed in a bright place, previously covered with glass or film to prevent the evaporation of moisture.
- Heated seeds are transferred onto a layer of loose sterilized substrate, laid out on the surface and gently sprinkled with a thin layer of sand.
- Then irrigate the soil from the spray gun.
- The container closed by a film is put in a hothouse.
- For the germination of seeds of an eosklet flower, a constant air temperature between 22 and 27 ° C is required.
- Every 4 days they monitor the condition of the soil, which is sprayed if necessary, and the container with the seeds is aired.
The seeds of the plant are not distinguished by fast and friendly germination, therefore, the breeding of the euonymus by this method is rather laborious and not always successful.
Long-awaited sprouts can appear only 8 weeks after sowing. When real leaves appear on seedlings, they gently swoop down. Further development of seedlings takes place indoors or on the terrace, protected from drafts and cold air.
Read also: Rules for the care of dragon flower at home in the photo and in video
Reproduction of euonymus by cuttings gives better results than obtaining seedlings from harvested seeds. The planting material, cut in August or September from the tops of healthy shoots, is rooted in the room greenhouse, digging sand and peat into a mixture of equal parts. When the cuttings acquire their own root system, they are transplanted to a permanent place. This is best done in early spring.
Pests and diseases of the indoor flower of the euonymus
Like the shrubs in the open field, a small indoor euonymus needs protection from diseases and pests. Most often, growers are faced with the defeat of plants with mealy worms, which weaken the pot culture. The colonization of the spindle tree with spider mites and harmful fungi is not excluded.
In order to prevent the death of a green pet, not only do it be treated with systemic preparations, but also adjust care. Planting euonymus carried out only in the decontaminated soil.
Rooting by planting plants - video