- How to make Lincrusta wallpaper?
- Advantages, disadvantages and choices
- Installation linkrusta
- Required Tools
- Surface and wallpaper preparation
Lincruste again comes into fashion, having experienced a long period of forgetting. It is noteworthy that it was invented in the 19th century, replacing stucco in the nobility houses, as its manufacture was an expensive and troublesome process, and lincruste looked as good as it looked.
By itself, a lincruste, and it is often called Lincrusta, is a relief wallpaper that looks like a stucco on the wall, looks very expensive and luxurious. Especially well suited for classical interiors, although it is also used in restaurants, public places, ordinary urban apartments - such walls immediately allocate a room from a number of similar ones.
By the way, many in general only with a stretch carry lincrust to the wallpaper, since it is very similar to stucco molding, but we will still be refer it to the type of wallpaper, since it is sold in exactly the same way in rolls, has a classic, as for wallpaper, scheme sticking.
How to make Lincrusta wallpaper?
Linkrust is considered a material with high environmental performance, as in production, like 100 years ago, only natural materials are used. The basis in these wallpapers is paper, but the relief layer is formed from very finely ground wood flour mixed with chalk, wax, rosin and some other natural ingredients. The pre-prepared mixture is applied to a paper substrate, and then a relief is created by roller-stamps. Next, the canvases are cut to standard sizes and dried for two months.
An interesting feature of lincrusta is that over the years it becomes only stronger, as the natural components harden, and this is an amazing and exceptional phenomenon in the world of wallpaper. However, at the first stages after gluing they are a little fragile, therefore they recommend to cover them with varnish. But now that linkrust, which was glued in the palaces about a century ago, still holds and has a beautiful view. So with normal care this is a fairly durable coating.
It is worth mentioning that not all manufacturers adhere to the original lincrusta production technique, therefore there are also such materials in the composition of which includes synthetic resins, artificial plasticizers, etc., which, while making the product cheaper, makes it less environmentally friendly and durable.
Lincruste from natural materials has a beige color and is intended for painting, but still its specific external properties allow you to distinguish it among the rest of the wallpaper for painting. The same options that are made with the use of synthetic substances, can already have a certain color, which simplifies the process of creating a finish.
Advantages, disadvantages and choices
Lincroost is a material with a lot of advantages, and it is from them that we begin:
- naturalness, which has already been mentioned above, is a huge advantage of this material, which makes it possible to use it in any type of premises. True, special substances are added to the composition to strengthen the outer layer, but they do not affect the final ecological compatibility of the material;
- environmental friendliness is also manifested inability to breathe, so that problems with the microclimate in the room, such as excessive humidity, should not be;
- the chances that the material will eventually become delaminated is extremely small, since in production the upper layer penetrates into the base and becomes one with it, which can not be said about some other multilayered coatings;
- one can not help but recalldurability: as already mentioned, over time the material becomes only stronger. And the facts about the fact that such a decoration, made at the beginning of the last century, is well preserved in buildings, and even cabins and wagons that have long been written off, speaks volumes;
- linkrustresistant to mechanical damage, is not subject to any kind of deformation, incl. shrinkage, withstand impacts and water ingress, so some use it also in the bathrooms. It is worth noting that lincrusta is used to make linseed oil, which has antiseptic properties, so even if water gets into the mold and fungus will not develop;
- is sufficientsimple carealso becomes an advantage - enough as necessary to brush the dust or wipe with a damp cloth;
- the ability to color the material in any color, use several colors or create even individual drawings - is also an indisputable plus on the way of creating an original interior. Yes, and the luxurious appearance will make even an ordinary room externally much richer and presentable. In city apartments, lincrust is used not only as wallpaper, but also as decoration of furniture, walls and ceiling, which are only partially pasted with this material: as an option - only one wall or part of it is finished linkrustom.
But even such material as linkrust does not do without its ownshortcomings. Though popularity to it also comes back, nevertheless some properties do not give to name its universal material:
- in the first place, as in many cases, it is worthprice. Although this is not a natural stucco, but such an analogue will also cost a lot, and luxury will be described not only by appearance, but also by price. And the cost is formed not only from the price of the roll itself, which is also not low, but also from the cost of installation work, glue, as well as painting and decorating;
- installation processmore difficult than with conventional wallpaper, so if you are not 100% sure of your abilities, then it's better to use the services of specialists;
- the only operational minus -intolerance to low temperatures, at which linkrust becomes very fragile and begins to crumble.
The variety of different types of lincrusta in the market of finishing materials is quite extensive, so a pattern to your taste will not be difficult to find, and with a competent approach to the interior solution, this decoration will look stylish and organic in any room, giving refinement.
It is worthwhile to once again pay attention to the fact that the material can be on a natural and synthetic basis, so if naturalness is your priority, then specify the composition in advance.
If the desired pattern is not found, some manufacturers will be able to produce lincrusta according to your order with the original design, but such an individual approach, naturally, will be very expensive.
When choosing the color of the paint for coloring, consider combining colors, since the use of the same color is sometimes boring. In general, in advance it is necessary to think over all the little things, especially the type of pattern and the type of painting.
Installation linkrusta though not the most difficult occupation, still requires a very careful approach. After reading the whole technology, everyone can decide for himself whether he will cope on his own or better not to risk it.
- the wallpaper itself;
- glue of the chosen type: perchlorovinyl, based on flour paste, etc .;
- warm water;
- brush for applying glue;
- a plumb and a pencil for conducting even vertical lines, so that the sticking is done exactly;
- plastic spatula for leveling wallpaper;
- roller for joints;
- Wooden rails and nails for temporary fastening of wallpaper;
- plaster for filling holes from nails;
- paint the right shade;
Surface and wallpaper preparation
So, like all the wallpaper, linkrust requires careful preparation of the surface: in the end, it should be flat and dry. Naturally, you need to get rid of all traces of past finishes, putty all cracks and completely level the surface, sand. All plinths and sockets must also be removed before starting work.
The use of a deep penetration primer is necessary, and after its use it is better to allow time for a day or two to settle and dry, in order to obtain a normal result. Some experts recommend after drying the primer once again to fill the surface, sand and primer, but often there is simply no need for such actions.
Linkrust wallpaper also requires preliminary preparation. First, at first, quite a traditional process - you need to cut the wallpaper along the strips of the required length, given that the pattern on the adjacent stripes must match. Secondly, then the finished strips must be twisted again into small rolls and soaked in hot water (temperature of 600C) for 10 minutes.
Then the wallpaper is laid out on a flat surface with a pile, wiping off excess water from each strip. In this state, they are left for 8-9 hours, so that they are well impregnated with water, softened, shrinkage. It is convenient to carry out such "soaking" for the night, so that in the morning everything is ready. After all this, it is hoped that joints will not be noticed at all.
If you purchased lincrusta on a fabric basis, then pre-soaking is not needed.
At once it is necessary to say a few words about the choice of glue. For these works, glue based on flour paste with the addition of joinery glue, perchlorovinyl glue, and also "Bustilat" is suitable. All works are recommended to be carried out at a temperature of at least + 150 ° C in the absence of drafts.
Prepared glue is best applied to both the wallpaper and the walls. For this, the usual brush is perfect. After the glue is applied to the wallpaper, they should be folded in half and held for about 10 minutes so that the glue is soaked well.
On the walls, with the help of a plumb and pencil, you can apply lines - they will help to perfectly smooth the wallpaper stripes. Further all as usual: glue the first strip of wallpaper, smoothing, so that there are no bubbles of air, wrinkles and wrinkles. The next strip is glued to butt, tightly to the first, observing the correctness of the pattern and pressing the edges.
Linkcrust refers to heavy materials, so it may move slightly after gluing. Therefore, after installing each strip, it is not superfluous to nail down the wooden bar: it will keep the wallpaper from slipping, after drying is dismantled, and the traces of nails shpaklyuyutsya, and when painted and do become imperceptible.
In the corners, the wallpaper usually dock, but if it does not work out, then to the corner it's worthwhile to press the wooden rod tightly and attach it so that the wallpaper does not come unstuck. Then it is dismantled and acted in the same way as with the slats at the top.
After the end of the gluing, the walls should dry for a few days, and preferably a week, so take your time and let them dry thoroughly. Only after this, you can start painting, and plinths and trim are better to put in their places before painting, and rosettes and switches - after.
Staining can be carried out by several types of paints. So, oil will keep on lincrusta the strongest, but recently acrylic is more popular - it is more it is more ecological, it has more shades, but after a while it starts to react with the wallpaper materials and is easy to give damage. But nevertheless at careful operation it is capable to serve more or less long.
The color of the paint is chosen by each under the interior, the staining should be done better with rollers. But often in order to make the interior more interesting, you need to highlight the relief details, but for this you can Use silvery or golden shades of wax paste - this decoration is good for a classic interior.
Sometimes after drying between the cloths of the wallpaper there are cracks: they need to be gently squeezed, through a couple of days to polish, and then apply the same paint, which is used for wallpaper - there will be no traces at all. This is also good lincruste: seams after staining are generally invisible.
Care of lincrusta
Care of this finishing material is simple: if necessary, wipe off dust from it or wipe it with a damp cloth. The coating is not afraid even of friction with the help of a brush, and any damage can be easily eliminated: dents, for example, can be puttied and tint, and if there are any very contaminated areas or the desire to change the color, then you need to wipe the wall white spirit. Then you can paint in any desired shade or tint, but if the previous layer of a darker paint, then the new one will need more, because it will have to be applied in several layers.