The function of the modern garden includes not only providing crops, but also giving the site a decorative, aesthetic look. Many gardeners are looking for solutions to combine business with pleasure. One of the worthy options is the cultivation of berry bushes and hazel trees on the trunk .This technique allows you to use dogwood, hazelnuts, chokeberry and even prickly gooseberries in landscape design. Separate conversation deserves shtambovaya currants.
Table of Contents
- What is Standard Currant?
- Features of planting
- How to grow currants on a trunk with your own hands?
- Growing on a rosted trunk of
- Growing on a stock
- Care for standard currant
What is standard currant?
In form, this is no longer a bush, but a mini-tree. It has one central conductor, from the top of which several side branches extend.
Hungarian gardeners were the first to surmise the cultivation of berry crops in such an unusual way. True, this invention was not born by aesthetic needs, but by severe necessity.
In the old pre-revolutionary Russian gardens there were also stab berries. For a long time only individual enthusiasts used this method, but now the technique is gradually becoming fashionable again. Moreover, in stab cultivation has many advantages:
- fruitful shoots and berry hands do not fall on the ground , which reduces the percentage of damage;
- currant less exposed to pest attack ;
- crown well and evenly lit , which improves the formation of the crop;
- fruit picking and plant care much easier ;
- it is possible to make more than compact landing and save area;
- facilitated care for pristvolnom circle;
- decorative standard currant on the order of superior bush forms .
Of course, as in any serious matter, it is not without its drawbacks:
- standard forms are less winter-hardy ;
- strong winds can break the tree .
And yet with a skillful approach, any shortcomings can be reduced to zero.
Features of planting
Acquired standard currant seedlings can be planted both in autumn and spring. The specific period must be selected based on the nature of the climatic zone. In regions where there is a lot of snow in winter, the autumn planting is suitable. The snow cover will protect the immature plant from freezing. If winters are not snowy, it is better to plant currants in spring, after thawing the soil.
A standard pit is being prepared for the standard currant - 0.5m * 0.5m * 0.5m .Filled with compost or humus and two glasses of ash. A strong high support is driven into the bottom of the landing pit.
There is an important nuance when planting a standard currant. In contrast to the bush one, its seedling is not placed in a pit under a slope, but is installed straight upright .The plant is securely fixed to the support. Roots straighten and bury a hole, after which the seedling is watered well.
How to grow currants on a trunk with your own hands?
It is not necessary to buy seedlings of stem currant. To form such a plant yourself with your own hands is a snap.
In practice, there are two methods of cultivation:
- on the rootstock;
- Kors own shtambom.
The first method is relatively modern. The second is the old one that was used by gardeners over a hundred years ago.
Growing on a proper shterby
This method can be used to form a seedling of any red, black or golden currant variety purchased at the site.
- In early spring, before the start of the sap flow, one well-developed upright shoot with a length of 80 cm to 1 m is selected on the plant. The rest is cut off at the root.
- On the left escape, they pinch the top of the .
- Retreating 3-4 buds above, blinds the underlying along the entire length of the conductor.
- When lateral shoots are made from the upper buds, they should be nipped over 3-5 with a sheet .
- In the second year, the is repeated on the growing shoots.
- Starting from the third year of the , the performs only thinning and sanitary pruning as needed.
Throughout the life of the plant, it will be necessary to keep an eye on the bole and remove all emerging growth from it.
Cultivation on stock
This method today is the most frequently used in European nurseries. But in order to grow shtambov currants in this way, you need to master the art of "garden surgery."If there is an opportunity, on a stock buy a sapling or stalk of golden currant Breht Corona .If not, you can try using your own plants.
- From the rooted cutting or layering growing stock, initially expelling the plant into one vertical shoot. All lateral branches appearing on the future trunk will be removed to make the trunk more likely to thicken. A stock is considered ready for work when its length reaches 80 cm , and the tip thickness is 4-5 mm .
- H and the graft take the stalk of any variety that you like. It is better to choose winter-hardy, disease-resistant, with beautiful long tassels. Scion Length - 3-4 buds .
- Inoculate with an improved copulation method.
- On the trunk, all the kidneys of are blinded.
- When the side shoots growing on the graft reach a length of 10-15 cm, they are pinned over the 3rd leaf. Giving them to grow stronger can not: there is a large sail, and the plant may break off at the site of vaccination.
- The next year, in the same way, they pinch new side shoots.
- From the third year after vaccination, sanitary and thinning pruning.
After grafting, the stems will again and again try to start up lateral growth. This should be monitored and in time to remove excess.
Care for standard currants
The life expectancy of standard currant forms is longer than bush. "Berry on a Stick" can successfully bear fruit up to 15-18 years .A complex of agrotechnical measures is necessary to ensure yields.
|Watering|| We can not allow both drying and waterlogging. Watering is necessary by necessity, ensuring the penetration of moisture to a depth of at least 1 meter. |
In the autumn, especially in dry years, it is useful to make water-recharge irrigation to increase the currants' winter resistance.
|Top dressing|| Spring : nitrogen fertilizers( manure, compost).Be careful with urea - standard forms cannot be overfed with nitrogen. |
Summer : manure - 5 kg, potassium sulphate - 10 g, superphosphate - 40 g.
Autumn : superphosphate - 50 g, sulphate of potassium - 20 g.
|Pruning||Starting from the 4th year of life, rejuvenate the circumference. All the old shoots, on which fruiting has ceased, are annually removed from the plant. The shape of the crown is supported by cutting thickening shoots. Radical shoots are regularly removed.|
|Shelter for the winter||To prevent frosting of the branches( especially in black currants) for the winter, the standard currant can be wrapped in a cover of 2-3 layers of agrospan.|
Another important manipulation that is required when caring for blueberry currants is garter. Branches loaded with a crop may break off. One of the best ways to prevent a catastrophe is through the construction of an umbrella challet. This design resembles a carousel:
- for the standard currant is screwed onto the wooden support to which the bobbin is tied, the is screwed from above;
- tied to a self-tapping screw tied several pieces of twine ( by the number of branches);
- tie the ends of the twine around the branches of the and pull up a little.
Thus, the branches with the harvest are suspended and do not break off.
Growing currants on a trunk is a creative activity. Having shown your imagination, you can create on your site avenues or labyrinths of mini berry trees, at the same time freeing the area for flowers and lawn .A rich harvests, which brings standard currants, will be at the same time an additional bonus.