among other berry crops. She has a very high taste and therefore has to appeal, both children and adults.
Sometimes it is rather problematic to grow strawberries in the garden or garden plots - the berry requires special care. Those who nevertheless decided on this step should learn in advance the peculiarities of this culture. In this article we will talk about the timing of ripening berries. They, as a rule, depend on the selected variety, as well as on the territory in which they grow.
Terms of ripening strawberry remontant varieties
I must say that there are two types of strawberries: single fruiting( short daylight hours - KDS) and multiple( remontant).The latter variety is gaining popularity every year for obvious reasons. This is understandable, because the crop goes much higher. So, let's talk about the main features of this type.
Remontory strawberry differs from ordinary one in that it has practically no antennae. In addition, fruits and, accordingly, it ripens much earlier. The main feature is re-fruiting. It occurs in waves. For example, the first crop can be harvested in June, the second in early July, and the third, if successful, in mid-August.
Read also: Cultivation of Beijing cabbage and care for it
As for the varieties of this variety, today there are a lot of them. Among the most popular are the following varieties: "Albion", "Borderello", "Vima Rina", "Geneva", "Temptation", "Queen II", "Lyubava", "Maara Des Bois", "The inexhaustible", "Ostra, Prima Donna, Referent, Superfections, Tristar, Flora, Hummi Gento, Charlotte, Evi, and others.
Add one more plus of strawberry varieties - large-fruited. The size of a single berry can reach 50-75 g.
When strawberries ripen as ordinary varieties
Strawberry KSD produces crops only once a year. It differs from the remontant one with a smaller mass of fruits( 25-30 g.), The presence of more developed whiskers.
Single-strawberry strawberries are divided into four groups: early, middle-early, medium, and late ripening. In each group, of course, have their favorites.
Early varieties of strawberries
- "Kimberly" - a variety bred in Germany. Fruit weight 50 g. It is resistant to many diseases, for example, powdery mildew.
- "Honey" - the weight of berries reaches 40 g. The fruits begin to ripen from 15 to 25 May.
- "Alba" - the mass of fruits does not exceed 30 g. The berries are sweet. The fruits ripen quite early - in the central zone of Russia in early May.
- "Anita" - variety bred in Italy. Fruits are medium in size( 40 g).Transportable.
Read also: Planting and growing grapes in the Urals
Middle strawberry varieties
- "Crown" - variety bred in Holland. Fruits ripen in mid-June. Resistant to powdery mildew.
- "Krasny Bereg" - the variety was born thanks to Belarusian breeders. The fruits are average. Variety tolerates negative temperatures.
- "Ellis" - a variety bred in England. Fruit weight - 30-35 g. Unpretentious, well fruits on any soil. Resistant to late blight.
Medium Strawberry Varieties
- "Nightingale" - bred by Russian breeders. Resistant to drought, tolerates winter. The average fruit weight is 25 g.
- "Elsanta" - large fruits. With good care, the weight of the berries reaches 45 g. The variety is high-yielding - you can get 1.5 kg from one bush.
- "Syria" - the weight of the berries - 30-35 g. The fruits are very tasty. The variety has a high resistance to many diseases.
- "Marmalade" - berries, sweet and sour, the average weight of the fruit - 30-40 gr. It has a high transportability.
- Darselect - launched in France. Fruits are medium in size( 40 g).Weatherproof
- "Asia" - a large-fruited variety, the minimum mass of the fruit is 35-40 g. The berries are sweet. The variety is well kept, transported without problems.
- "White Swede" - a unique variety. The color of the berries is white with red splashes. The fruits have pineapple flavor. Berry weight - 20-25 g.
- “Tsarina” - obtained by Russian breeders. The variety is considered large-fruited, the average weight of berries can reach 50 g.
Read also: Raspberry pruning rules: we take into account all possible nuances of
Late strawberry varieties
There are not that many late strawberry varieties. Here is the main list:
- "Galya-Chiv" - fruits ripen in July. The berries are very sweet, the average weight is 45 g.
- “Malvina” is considered the latest variety - the ripening period is the end of July. The berries are large, have a rich red color.
- "Adria" - a variety bred in Italy. In this case there is no talk of large-fruitedness - the weight of berries is on average 25 g.
How to speed up the ripening of strawberries
It is noteworthy that the period of ripening of strawberries can be accelerated. For this there are two simple ways. The essence of the first is to use a film or covering material. This method allows you to harvest a week earlier.
There is another way - planting this crop in the greenhouse. Both the first and second methods are equally effective. Which one to use is decided by the gardener himself. In any case, to get a good harvest, you should not forget about the proper care of this crop.
Video about strawberries varieties Florence