Content of the article:
Shrubby bruise, unlike its wild relative, does not have medicinal properties. Among gardeners, he is valued for his decorative. Its large globular bushes become a spectacular decoration of any infield. To the plant had a spectacular appearance it is necessary to properly care for it.
The best varieties of
To date, science knows more than 300 species of St. John's wort shrubbery. On the suburban areas you can find only a few varieties:
- Spreading. This species is popular in Southeast Asia. The height of one bush reaches a meter. The leaves have a regular ovoid shape up to 5 cm in length. Bright yellow flowers are decorated with numerous large stamens. Flowering continues for two months.
- Hooker. The height of the spherical bush can reach one and a half meters. During flowering, it is covered with flowers, whose diameter reaches 6 cm. They are painted in bright yellow color. Due to the large number of small stamens, the middle of the flower seems fluffy. Only a plant that has reached the age of three years can bloom. It does not tolerate cold, so it should be better covered for the winter.
- Double-Sided. Widely distributed in the Caucasus and in Western Europe. Shrub of Hypericum shrub of this variety grows up to one and a half meters in height. Flowering begins in mid-June and lasts for a month. After three years, fruits appear on the plant. They have a decorative appearance.
- Brigadier. A distinctive feature of this variety are the shiny elongated leaves of yellow-green color. Small golden flowers cover the shrub in early spring. The height of the bush rarely exceeds 30 cm. It prefers sunny areas with light drained soil.
- Cup. Considered the most unpretentious variety. In height does not exceed 30 cm. During flowering it is covered with large flowers, up to 7 cm in diameter. Flowering continues throughout the summer.
St. John's wort can be used as a hedge. Its large shrubs reliably protect from prying eyes. The main thing is to follow the simple rules of plant care.
For the dachas, it is better to choose a cup tutsan. He is unpretentious and does not require special care. It can be planted on slopes to strengthen the soil.
Planting and caring for bush hunters does not require special skills. Even an inexperienced florist can handle this. The plant multiplies well with cuttings. During planting, you must follow a specific sequence of actions:
- Acquired or cut cuttings must be put in clean warm water for two weeks. During this time, they should form roots.
- Petioles with root system are transplanted into small pots filled with soils. Make up the soil of sand and peat, taken in identical proportions.
- In this condition, subject to regular watering, the cuttings should spend the entire winter.
- Spring plants can be planted in open ground. To do this, dig a small hole, on the bottom of which a layer of humus is poured.
- Bury the cuttings deeply. It is enough to close the root system. Well tamp the ground and pour warm water.
If planting and caring for bush farming is correct, flowers will appear in the first year. In order for them to hibernate, they need to be covered with non-woven material, for example, spunbond.
.basic care guidelines
Hypericum an unpretentious plant. Care of it consists in regular watering and weeding of weeds. In the spring, it can be fed with mineral fertilizers. It responds well to making nitrophoska in the first two years of growth.
Before wintering, the plant must be pruned. Remove all aboveground parts. The remaining necks are covered. To do this, use non-woven material, fallen leaves or dry grass.
As the Hypericum grows, it is necessary to remove dry leaves and cut off the damaged branches. In rare cases, dark spots are found on the leaves. This suggests damage to the rust fungus. Affected leaves are cut and surely burned. Even with good care, after three to five years, the plant loses its decorative effect, so the planting needs to be updated.
St. John's Wort is an ornamental shrub with excellent decorative properties. It looks great on the slopes or near the fence. With proper care, it will delight you with rapid flowering.