- Advantages and disadvantages of liquid wallpaper
- Technology of application of liquid wallpaper
- Tools and materials
- Surface preparation
- Preparation of liquid wallpaper
- Application of liquid wallpaper
Liquid wallpaper just recently was not the most popular in the market of building materials, and they preferred the usual roll wallpaper. Now they began to be used more and more often, which is explained by their merits and original appearance. It should immediately stipulate that the liquid wallpaper only with stretch can be called wallpaper, because by the way they tend to gravitate more to the plaster.
The composition of liquid wallpaper can include substances such as cellulose fibers, silk, cotton, as well as adhesives, possibly fungicides natural origin, and, of course, the decorative components that set the color of the finished surface, and maybe its shine, mother of pearl etc.
Advantages and disadvantages of liquid wallpaper
The increasing popularity of liquid wallpaper is due to their advantages over conventional ones. So,
- in order to be able to apply liquid wallpaper on the wall, do not need a lot of space, because they do not need to be cut as usual, you do not need to use glue that will necessarily drop to the floor. Yes, and apply such a composition can be in parts, without fear of the formation of highly visible joints;
- to cope with the application of liquid wallpaper can not even a professional, but some roll wallpaper requires knowledge nuances of application, therefore at self-sticking defects can be formed which then it will be necessary correct;
- Liquid wallpaper is not as demanding on the surface as some other types of finishing materials. Therefore, they are an indispensable option, if the walls are small defects in the form of cracks. By the way, if the house has just been built, and it can still shrink, then liquid wallpaper is an ideal option and in this case;
- liquid wallpapers are able to solve a lot of problems with the microclimate of the room, as their surface passes air, in contrast, for example, from vinyl wallpaper, so they will remove excess moisture from the room, or vice versa skip from the outside;
- in the composition of these wallpapers there are no unnatural materials, which means that they will not cause allergies and other negative consequences of use, so they can be used even for children's finishes rooms;
- liquid wallpaper is characterized by good indicators of sound and heat insulation, frost resistance, do not accumulate electricity and, accordingly, dust. They are not flammable and do not burn out in the sun, they are durable;
- you can not fail to mention the huge potential of liquid wallpaper when forming unusual wall decoration, because different colors can be combined as you like, getting patterns or whole pictures. Paper or vinyl wallpaper can not boast of such opportunities.
For all these descriptions, it may seem that liquid wallpaper is an ideal material that does not have anyshortcomings, but this is not so:
- price- Although every year this material is becoming more affordable, it still remains more expensive than the wallpaper. And it is this factor that often encourages buyers to purchase more traditional materials;
- Until recently, it could be considered a shortcoming and not so hugeassortment of colors for liquid wallpaper, but thanks to the fact that several colors can be combined on one wall, and manufacturers come up with more and more ways to diversify wallpaper, then this minus will eventually come down to no;
- though about the liquid wallpaper and say that they are moisture-resistant, yetIt is better to minimize contact with water, or cover the surface with a protective varnish. However, if some site lost its appearance due to water hit on it, it is easy to repair, cutting and applying a new layer of wallpaper. That's the disadvantages of these wallpapers can be transformed into pluses.
Technology of application of liquid wallpaper
Tools and materials
In order to cope with the application of liquid wallpaper, you need a small set of tools and materials.
- the liquid wallpaper itself in the required quantity and color;
- plaster, which is necessary for sealing large cracks, if they are, of course, available;
- primer to strengthen the surface and reduce moisture absorption. You can use Alpina from Caparol;
- primer with quartz dust, if the surface is too smooth (concrete or polished wood);
- oil or latex paint, if the surface contains metal elements;
- on request, acrylic lacquer - it is useful for protecting the finished surface in the kitchen or bathroom.
- deep containers for the preparation of liquid wallpaper with a volume of at least 7-8 liters per package;
- a spatula made of Plexiglas or stainless steel with a smooth surface for applying liquid wallpaper;
- a spatula can be replaced with a trowel or a gun to apply liquid wallpaper;
- Painter roller or brush for primer application;
- wide and narrow spatula for puttying walls, as well as a mixer for the preparation of the putty;
- pencil to apply a picture on the wall, if you plan to make a whole pattern or picture of liquid wallpaper.
If the advantages of liquid wallpaper, in your opinion, outweigh the disadvantages, and you decided to trim your way in this way, then it is worth taking into account some of the nuances. So, though such wallpaper and can hide some defects, but not all, so the remnants of the old paint, protruding from the walls are metallic elements and other irregularities liquid wallpaper hide is not the way, so before they are applied it will be necessary to properly prepare surface.
Before you apply the liquid wallpaper to the wall, check it for compliance with certain conditions. So, it should be strong, i.e. Do not have any layers that can later fall off, such as an old paint or plaster. It should not let any color pass through the wallpaper layer, that is why metal elements are either eliminated altogether or covered with special compounds so that they do not corrode. The surface should not absorb moisture, so do not interfere with its priming.
Surface before the application of liquid wallpaper need to get rid oftraces of the previous coating: old wallpaper, paint, plaster, so that after a while all this did not fall off together with a fresh layer of finish. If there are large cracks on the wall, then it is desirable to putty: this can be done even when applied by themselves liquid wallpaper, but then increase the consumption is not the cheapest material, so it is better to use the usual putty. Some experts recommend plastering not only cracks and, for example, seams between sheets of gypsum board, but the whole surface.
To add strength to the surface of the wall, its betterprimer: thus, penetration of moisture inside is also prevented. It is better to use a deep penetration primer and apply in 2-3 layers, while the popular primer Ceresit CT17 is not very suitable, because over time it can manifest itself in the form of yellow spots on the wallpaper. The primer should be either colorless or white.
If there is a surfacemetal elements, such as nails, corners or reinforcement, they can also form stains of yellowish-rusty over time color, so it is better to cover them with oil or latex paint to limit the contacts and reaction of the metal with water. After priming, it is better to apply another layer of putty.
It is worth noting that liquid wallpaper is best placed on a slightly rough surface, so on putty or unpolished plaster they can be applied immediately, but if the base is a smooth wood or concrete, then it is better to apply a primer with quartz dust. Such a primer can be made independently, adding to the usual fine, sifted through a sieve for flour, sand. As a result, the liquid wallpaper will be applied evenly and do not reach for the spatula, as can be if the surface is perfectly smooth.
Preparation of liquid wallpaper
In principle, the process of preparing a liquid wallpaper composition will be indicated in the instructions for each package with content, but it is still useful to indicate some nuances in order to accurately calculate the time.
So, you should start preparing liquid wallpaper in advance,about 6-12 hours before their application, so you can start at the priming stage. So, the composition of liquid wallpaper includes a base of cellulose or silk, dye and glue - all this can already be mixed, or sold in separate packages. In the second case, it will be necessary to mix everything thoroughly in a large container: it is necessary to mix, not crushing, but as though fluffing. If all sorts of dyes and glitters do not enter into the finished mixture, then they should be mixed first with water, and then there already add a base: this will help evenly distribute the color and glitter all over surface. Those wallpapers that are already mixed, can also be swollen, so that there are no lumps - it is not necessary, but partly a pledge that they will be applied more evenly.
Features of the preparation of your specific wallpaper you will find in the instructions, for example,amount of water, which must be added. It is worth noting only some points: so, it is better to pour the right amount of water into the prepared container, and then to fill the mixture, although the reverse order is not excluded. It is better to prepare the mixture specifically from one package in one container: a combination of several packages or conversely, the use of only part of it is not allowed if you want to obtain a uniform layer with the same color. Therefore, prepare the mixture in different containers, combining already in the finished form.
Mix the mixture with water with just hands - nothing harmful and caustic there. Although the instructions for some wallpapers indicate a tool such as a drill using a nozzle mixer, but in some cases, this method can simply break long fibers, and in the end, the appearance will be a bit different than relied.
When the mixture is ready, it is leftinsist on 6-12 hours- depending on the manufacturer's requirements. This is necessary for the glue to soften completely and bind the other components of the mixture well. After that, you can mix all the prepared wallpapers in one container: you need to calculate so that this amount is enough for either the whole room or at least one wall. Wallpaper from different mixes can have slightly different shades, and the transition to one wall can be a bit is noticeable, but if it is applied to different walls in a room, then a different shade will be detected is impossible.
Separately worthy of attentionconsumption of liquid wallpaper. Usually, manufacturers indicate that one kilogram of the mixture is enough for 5-6 m², but in fact, it is better to calculate from the consumption of 1 kg of the mixture for 3-4 m². A ready-made solution of wallpaper can stand for a long time without losing its properties, but still tighten with the application on the walls is not worth it.
Application of liquid wallpaper
In order to apply prepared liquid wallpaper, you can use one of the followingtools: trowel, spatula, spray or grater. And graters can be used as usual, and special for liquid wallpaper. The latter are often made of transparent plastic, which makes it easy to control the application process, especially when applications are made.
Himselfthe application process is fairly simple: very similar to puttying, only slightly easier. You can type a portion of the mixture either with hands or with a spatula, and apply it to the wall or the instrument that is used. Then the wallpaper is triturated on the wall in a uniform layer of 2-3 mm - the thickness may vary depending on the manufacturer. Begin to apply wallpaper to a separate island, and the following portions are added to it. A problem may arise that the solution does not adhere well to the wall or is too thick. In this case, a small portion of water can solve the problem.
Grater, which is applied wallpaper, it is better to keep at an angle of 5-15 degrees, and the direction of movement to achieve a spectacular appearance is better to choose different, including. slightly twisting. When approximately 1 m2 of the coating is applied, it is possible to slightly level it with the same grater only moistened with water.
If you want to get a more embossed surface, you can use a gun: it is filled with the required amount and evenly applied to the surface.
Requiredconditions for applying liquid wallpaper:temperature not lower than 10 ° C and well ventilated room.
In order for these wallpapers to dry completely, they are usually enough, usually 1-3 days. Then, if desired, they can be varnished for additional protection against negative factors of their environment. The varnish is usually covered with liquid wallpaper in a bath or kitchen, while using only a vapor-permeable lacquer, although for these rooms it is better to immediately choose a moisture-resistant liquid wallpaper.
Caring for liquid wallpaper
When used properly, liquid wallpaper mayserve for at least 10 years. So, in order to keep them clean, just go for a vacuum cleaner. If you covered the wallpaper with varnish, then you can use a slightly damp sponge.
If on some sitea visible defect, then the wallpaper can be soaked with water and carefully removed with a spatula, then progruntovat wall 2-3 times and apply liquid wallpaper again. Therefore, it is always worthwhile to buy the original mixture with a margin. And if after the application of the main layer there are unused wallpapers, they do not need to be thrown away - in wet they can be stored for about two weeks, and at this time after the drying of the main layer it may be necessary correction. Otherwise, the residues can be decomposed, dried, and then only added water, so that the mixture was ready for re-application.