Traditionally, the apron and the kitchen walls are faced with a ceramic wall and they are covered with a ceramic wall with a hand of
.in terms of design, and in terms of practicality. To understand why this is so, consider the classification of the material.
What are the plastic panels for the kitchen
Plastic panels for the kitchen are made of extruded polyvinyl chloride( PVC).They are classified into types according to dimensions:
- PVC lining: 10-12.5 cm wide, up to 3 m long, usually in monochrome color;
- The actual plastic wall panels: width 15-50 cm( 25 cm more common), length up to 3 meters, seamless connection;
- PVC sheet: 0.8-2.03 meters wide, 1.5-4.05 meters long, from 1 to 30 mm thick;with a flat, smooth surface, matte or glossy.
plastic panels The walls and kitchen apron, lined with plastic panels, have the following advantages:
- The ease of construction, which makes PVC fastening incredibly simple;
- Fast fixing work - plastic kitchen panels are mounted 10 times faster than ceramic tiles;
- Apron and plastic walls are incredibly easy to clean - they can be cleaned with napkins or washed with standard detergents( non-abrasive);
- Plastic panels for the kitchen are made of solid PVC, resistant to high temperatures( threshold of sensitivity - 120 °);
- Modern plastic trim allows you to create a kitchen apron with any design - with unusual prints, three-dimensional patterns or original colors, transparent wall panels are also often used;
- And the main advantage - wall cladding and apron made of plastic - budget and affordable.
Disadvantages of plastic finishing
Of course, plastic wall panels have their drawbacks - in most cases they are a counterweight to the affordable price. The main negative characteristics of plastic include:
- A small margin of safety, low resistance to wear;
- The possibility of damage to the front decorative panel due to prolonged contact with detergents or ultraviolet rays;
- Flammability when in contact with open fire - this should be considered when placing a kitchen apron.
There is another nuance - PVC wall panels for the kitchen must necessarily have all the certificates, including hygienic, confirming the manufacture of material from safe raw materials that do not emit harmful substances when heated.
Do not think that finishing the kitchen with PVC panels is impractical or unprofitable. The main thing is to choose the right material.
Recommendations for choosing wall panels
When choosing kitchen wall panels, you should follow these recommendations:
- The dimensions of the plastic sheet or panel should be larger than the apron area - so that the material goes behind the cabinets and is slightly below the working surface.
- If you plan to place plastic close to the cooking surface, then do not forget to make sure that the material has fire safety certificates.
- The color scheme is selected depending on the characteristics of the kitchen: large drawings and dark colors are preferable in spacious rooms, while small ones will be more appropriate for wall panels with small floral patterns or soothing light tones. Win-win - light solid color or imitating wood panels without gloss.
- You can choose wall panels of unique design textures: metallized for hi-tech, brick for minimalism, wood for classics, imitation of old images or ornaments for vintage.
With the help of plastic panels in an apron and on the walls, you can even visually expand the kitchen space, if they are installed horizontally, and “lift” the ceiling in a vertical position.
Tip! A plastic apron should be supplemented with a border protecting the panel joints from moisture and dirt.
Fastening wall panels do-it-yourself
To fasten panels in an apron or on the walls you need the following tools:
- Puncher-drill and screwdriver;
- Pencil, tape measure;
- Plummet, or level;
- Construction Stapler; Staples;
- Profile of metal or wooden beams to create crates;
- Dowel, screws;
- Actually PVC panels of the selected type and size.
Method 1. Plastic panels can be glued directly to the wall. This is an easy-to-implement method, but disassembling the material without damage if necessary will not work. In addition, gluing is possible only if the kitchen walls are even and their difference is no more than 1 centimeter. Additionally, the panels should be fixed in the corners with self-tapping screws.
Method 2. You can fasten the material directly to the wall — for this, the mounting holes are drilled, the panel is fixed, and the places where the screw heads are located are masked with plugs. For this method of fasteners, you will need to pre-prepare the wall: to seal the cracks and gouges, align, prime.
Method 3. Plastic can also be installed on the batten - first, the panels are screwed( attached) to the profile or the bar, and then mounted to the wall.
Method 4. Installation of plastic panels with metal profiles and staples is performed using similar technology using battens.
Plastic panels for facing the kitchen apron and walls are a limitless choice of design, thanks to which your kitchen will be transformed. You can choose from the widest palette of colors - from white to black, smooth or textured surfaces that mimic the skin, fabric or any natural material, three-dimensional patterns, photo printing, semi-matte, matte, glossy or mirror coating. And if desired, the plastic panel is easy to change, because the material is budget. You can learn more about the plastic apron from the material: Plastic apron - information for the buyer.