- Step 1. First we lay the
- tablecloth Step 2. Lay out the plates
- Step 3. Put the cutlery
- Step 4. Put the glasses, wine glasses, glasses
- Step 5. Serve the napkins
- Step 6. The final touch is the decor of the table Step 5. Serve the napkins
- Step 6. The final touch is the table decorStep 5.about the arrangement of dishes
Proper serving - it is always a sign of attention to the guests, a way to create a festive atmosphere, as well as an indicator of the artistic taste of the hostess.
- In this article we will consider the rules of informal serving, that is, those that are appropriate for receiving guests at home in everyday life and on holidays.
- Serving at home depends on the occasion, time of day, theme and menu, but in all cases the purpose of serving one is to spread out the dishes and appliances so that it is convenient and pleasant to eat.
Based on this goal, table setting rules were invented. In everyday life, all these canons should be observed only in the most solemn cases, but once you have learned their essence, you can set the table with your own hands for any occasion - from a romantic dinner to a family celebration of the New Year.
Before you begin, take a look at two sample table layouts. As you can see, it is much easier for guests to set up a home holiday table than at an official reception!
So, how to set the table? We have compiled step-by-step instructions in a specific sequence, describing each of the stages. In short, the most convenient procedure is the following:
- Tablecloth - Plates - Cutlery - Glasses - Napkins - Decor( vase with flowers, candles, themed decorations).
Keep in mind that a few days before the event, you need to solve all organizational issues and prepare:
- Decide on the number of people, create a menu, tidy up the tablecloth, check the quantity and quality of napkins, dishes, appliances, think over the decor.
On the day you receive guests, wipe all the dishes and appliances clean and then set the table.
Step 1. First we lay the tablecloth.
The main thing here is to make sure that the overhang of the tablecloth is no more and no less than 20-30 cm. The overhang will look shorter and ugly and longer - uncomfortable for those sitting at the table.
As for color, you can choose either a win-win and a traditional white tablecloth, or lay down any favorite option, add it with tracks and dimming tracks as shown in the photo.
And here are examples of festive tableware at home and without a tablecloth at all.
Step 2. Fold out the plates.
This part of the “serving” theory will be the most extensive. After all, the composition and combination of plates depends on the planned menu, the number of guests and the scale of the holiday.
According to the classic table setting rules, one can rely several plates for one person:
- A large-plate substitute( serving) - it is not necessary for daytime or everyday tables, some types of serving( for example, rustic) also allow its absence. The photo below shows examples of serving with and without a placeholder plate.
Also may be needed: medium( snack bar), small( pie or dessert) and a deep plate for soup.
- According to canon, the type of deep plate depends on the type of soup. For a thick one, choose a wide one( photo on the left), for a light broth or cream soup, choose a bowl with or without handles( photo on the right).But this is exactly the rule that can be completely neglected.
With regard to the arrangement of plates, then put on the placeholder snacks or deep plates, dessert and / or salad plates put on the left as shown in the picture to the right. This place can also include a tea pair, a pie plate or, for example, an Easter bowl for eggs. The photo below presents options for a festive serving and composition of the plates.
- Plates should be placed at a distance of 1.5-2 cm from the edge of the table and at the same distance from each other;
- To prevent the snack plate from sliding along the support plate, you need to put a paper or textile napkin between them as shown in the photo below.
Step 3. Put the cutlery
Now proceed to the layout of devices. They are placed on the sides of the number of changes of dishes( the concave side of the table):
- To the right of the plates have knives and spoons;
- Left - forks;
- From above you can put a teaspoon.
Festive table setting at home does not require a large number of special knives, forks and spoons. Most often one knife, one fork and a pair of spoons are enough( for soup and dessert).
But if necessary and desired, you can additionally set the table with special forks, knives and spoons as shown in the following photo selection.
Learn more about the rules for the placement of devices in the next video tutorial.
Step 4. Put the glasses, wine glasses, glasses
Next, behind the plates, just to the right, put the glasses from larger to smaller. Depending on the available drinks and the preferences of the guests, glasses for water, red / white wine, champagne and / or a glass for juice, strong drinks and glasses are set.
Step 5. Serve the napkins
For especially solemn occasions, the napkins can be folded beautifully and artistically on a plate. For all other cases there are no strict rules for serving napkins. You can put them in a glass for water, put a plate under the snack bar, stick them into rings, tie them with a ribbon and decorate them with decor.
In case you set the table not for a holiday, but, for example, for dinner, you can place napkins on the side of the plate under the forks as shown in the photo below.
See also the material: 5 ideas and workshops on making handicrafts from napkins.
Step 6. The final touch is the decor of the table
Hooray, almost done! It remains only to decorate the festive table with flowers in a vase and themed decorations. On New Year's Eve, it can be cones, rosemary and fir branches, on March 8 - flower buds, and at Easter - hares and willow branches. The theme of the table decor should be paid more attention in a separate article, but for now we offer to look at the photos of beautifully decorated tables in different subjects and styles.
And a little bit about how to set up an table setting
- Step 6. The final touch is the table decor