The kitchen in the Khrushchev has two main drawbacks - a small area( from 5 to 7.5 sq. M) and low ceilings( 2.5 - 2.7 m).And it is often gasified, that is, it has pipes and / or a gas column, which spoil the interior. But we also have some good news:
- First, the kitchens in most Khrushchev houses have not bearing partitions, which means they can be easily rebuilt.
- Secondly, the problem of small kitchens is so common that furniture manufacturers have long adjusted to it, and designers have developed a lot of ideas and effective solutions on how to make a mini-kitchen cozy and functional.
Today we will talk about 13 ways to get the most out of a modest "Khrushchev" cuisine and present 90 photos of real interiors for your inspiration.
See also materials:
- Kitchen Design 5 square meters.meters from repair to decor
- How to equip the kitchen area of 6 square meters.meters
- Kitchen 7 square.meters in 9 steps
13 solutions for kitchen arrangement in the Khrushchev
Solution 1. Combining the kitchen with the living room
This variant of redevelopment is not in vain so popular among owners of Khrushchev, because it is simple, super efficient and almost always allowed for non-gasified kitchens. Of course, you will not carve out additional meters from nowhere, but at least you can bring the dining table to the living room, thereby freeing up space for the working area, and visually the kitchen will seem much more spacious. In addition, the combined room is good because it creates excellent conditions for family communication. For example, all family members can be next to each other, at the same time doing their work, and mothers can cook by looking after the children with one eye. Even home parties and parties to organize in the kitchen-living room more convenient and fun.
- However, there are also disadvantages - due to the absence of a partition from the kitchen, culinary smells will penetrate into the living room and soak all the textiles in the room. The same applies to the "kitchen" noise, say, from the released water, exhaust, blender, kettle, etc. Take a nap while lying on the couch while someone actively cooks in the kitchen, or make some noise while going to work while everyone is sleeping, is unlikely. If these disadvantages of the combined kitchen-living room are significant for you, think about Solution 2 - moving the partition.
Read also: Design of a stylish kitchen-living room: ways of zoning and decoration.
Before breaking walls, you will have to go to the BTI, order a redevelopment project and coordinate it( even if you are sure that the wall is not bearing).
Solution 2. Increase the kitchen at the expense of adjacent rooms
If the combined kitchen-living room does not fit into your lifestyle, or if your kitchen is gasified, then you can increase its area at the expense of the adjacent rooms - living room, pantry or corridor. Thus, the kitchen will become slightly larger, but it will remain isolated, which, frankly, is much more convenient for life. Here are a few ideas:
- Most often, the kitchen is increased at the expense of the living room by moving the partition. Below is an example of a two-room apartment plan in the Khrushchev before and after repair.
Further in the photo you can see an example of the kitchen interior in a one-room Khrushchev, which was rebuilt in a similar way.
- If the bathroom is combined with a toilet, the bath is replaced with a shower, and the partition is moved, you will be able to expand the kitchen or create a niche for the refrigerator. Such a project is not legalized often, but for those who live on the first floor, the chances are quite high. Below the photo shows an example of a kitchen in Khrushchev, enlarged by the bathroom, bathroom and living room.
look like after solution 3. Sliding doors or an open doorway
The swing doors in the mini-kitchen take up a lot of storage space and generally clutter the interior. You can, at a minimum, rearrange the hinges so that the door opens to the outside, and as a maximum - replace the swing door with a folding or sliding door as in the kitchen interior in the photo below.
If the kitchen is not gasified, you can completely remove the door, leaving the doorway open and possibly redo it into a beautiful arch, as shown infurther short photo.
And another tip. Doing renovation of the kitchen in Khrushchev, do not miss the opportunity to move the doorway and / or narrow it a bit( up to 80-70 cm).Even a couple of dozen free centimeters of the wall often play a big role.
Solution 4. Conversion of a window sill to a worktop
A window sill is that hidden reserve, by utilizing which you can save space and make the kitchen more functional. But for this, it needs to be redone a little, namely, embedded in a kitchen set or turned into a bar / table.
- Having embedded the window sill in the U-shaped and angular kitchen set, you can use it as a cutting table, while hiding the radiator and creating additional storage places. However, for this, in the process of repair, it is necessary to slightly raise the window in order to bring the window sill to the level of floor pedestals.
- Alteration of a window sill to a bar or dining table often does not require lifting the window, you only need to replace the window sill countertop with a larger countertop and install one or two supports under it( if you make a complete table).
Reworking the window sill, make sure that the warm air from the radiator reaches the window. To do this, in the new countertop, you need to make vents and decorate them with a decorative grille. If this is neglected, most likely, the window will start to mist over, which threatens to damage the finish and the appearance of fungus and mold.
See related material: Window sill and its variations - tabletop, bar counter, table.
Solution 5. Betting on modern minimalism or simplified classics
The choice of interior style is a matter of taste, but still small rooms are more advantageous and simpler to draw up in a modern way. For example, in the Scandinavian or Japanese style, as well as in the style of minimalism, hi-tech or eco.
In the photo below you can see an example of kitchen design in a Khrushchev-style, decorated in the Scandinavian style.
However, lovers of classics and ethnicity should not give up their preferences. You just need to slightly simplify the chosen style, for example, applying a minimum of decor, relying on light shades and reflective materials.
Here is an example of kitchen design in a Khrushchev decorated in a lightweight version of ethnic style.
Solution 6. Light walls and furniture
In the perception of space, much depends on the color of the walls and the overall furniture. An unmistakable way to increase the Khrushchev mini-kitchen is to decorate most of the interior in white.
- If your kitchen doesn’t have enough natural light or is crowded with furniture, rely on monochrome: paint the walls with white paint, choose white sets, a dining table and even curtains on the windows. So all the boundaries of space will be erased, and the kitchen will seem airy, even if it is very close. Do not worry about the complexity of care, because in fact, light surfaces are even more practical than dark ones( with the exception of textiles) and visually make the environment more accurate. And in order to avoid the feeling of hospital sterility, you only need to combine with each other different shades of white and combine spectacular textures and materials.
By the way, when you can’t hide the pipes and the water heater, the white facades and walls, including the apron, help out great. Indeed, against such a background, engineering elements will simply not be noticeable.
- If you want to fill the interior with color, combine white with one or two additional shades. Use too bright or dark colors only in accents, otherwise a small kitchen will only decrease.