- non-stick panscooked food. Ideally, the kitchen should have several pans of different sizes, thicknesses and heights of the walls, as well as materials, it’s not for nothing that professional chefs prepare different dishes in different pans. For example, a grilled frying pan is more suitable for frying meat, and any frying pan with a non-stick coating is suitable for frying eggs.
But since we are not chefs and most often use only 1-2 pans, this material will discuss how to choose a pan for universal use, that is, a round average diameter of 24-28 cm.
We understand pans with
non-stick coating Coatings today are very different. Let's see what they are and what will be better?
- Teflon coating, namely polytetrafluoroethylene is the most common type of coating for aluminum frying pans.
Pros: are light in weight, easy to clean, you can cook with little or no fat.
Cons: Teflon cannot be heated very much( optimal temperature is 200 ° C), otherwise it begins to emit carcinogenic toxic gases and, of course, it is afraid of sharp objects.
Service life: maximum 1 year.
Tip: Positive feedback has earned everyone the well-known Tefal, whose frying pans can be heated to 260 C °.
- Ceramic coating is a non-stick coating not from baked clay, as the name suggests, but from a nanocomposite polymer with sand nanoparticles in the composition.
Pros: Unlike a teflon pan with a ceramic coating, it does not emit harmful substances when it is very hot( it can be heated to 450 degrees) and is perfect for those who like to cook with the minimum amount of oil. It evenly and quickly warms up. In addition, aluminum frying pans with a ceramic coating are relatively light.
Cons: ceramic layer is afraid of mechanical damage, falls from a height, washing in the dishwasher, alkali and sudden changes in temperature, is not suitable for induction cooker.
Service life: about 1-2 years with careful use.
Tip: do not buy cheap models, as they deteriorate very quickly. Positive reviews have deserved brands TVS, Fissler, Moneta.
- Marble coating is a non-stick coating made of the same Teflon, but with the addition of marble chips.
Pros: frying pan with a marble coating weighs more easily cast-iron, evenly and warms up very quickly. In addition, unlike ceramics and Teflon, it cools more slowly, is less afraid of sharp objects, accidental drops, temperature drops, and therefore has a long service life. And still such ware unusually and soundly looks.
Cons: they are produced in both cheap and expensive categories, but a good frying pan( coated with 3 layers) and a thickened bottom costs at least 2000 rubles, another drawback - often they are sold without covers.
Service life: depends on the number of coating layers - the more layers, the longer the dishes will last. With proper care, a multilayer pan can last up to 25 years, as promised by manufacturers.
Tip: if possible, purchase dishes with a 5-layer marble coating and a bottom thickness of more than 6 mm. Periodically lubricate a clean pan with oil, and then wipe it with a napkin( no need to heat it).
- Titanium, diamond, granite coatings - nanocomposite coatings, reliable and the most expensive.
Pros: uniform and fast heating, wear resistance, are not afraid of metal forks, rims and blades, durability, practically do not require the use of oil, are safe for health and as close as possible to the quality of cast iron cookware, but lighter.
Cons: is not suitable for induction cookers, they are much more expensive than all other types of pans.
Service life: up to 25 years.
Tip: Positive reviews have premium brands from Swiss Diamond, Woll and Risoli.
- There is another type of coating, which, perhaps, can be called the safest and most durable, and this, of course, is a natural “non-stick” coating made of oil absorbed into the pores of the cast-iron pan. But read about it in the next chapter.
Review of materials: cast iron, stainless steel, copper
- Cast-iron frying pan
Pros: this dish can rightly be called the best in the "universal" category, because it can even bake pies in the oven. It produces the most delicious dishes, it is from cast iron that they make grill pans for roasting meat. It evenly warms up and cools for a long time. Pig-iron dishes are not afraid of even knives and falls from a height, besides it is absolutely safe for health and even useful, as in the process of frying the food is filled with a small amount of iron. And its main feature is a natural “non-stick coating”, which is created due to the fact that the porous structure of cast iron absorbs oil, so the dishes can be used forever in the truest sense of the word.
Cons: cast iron is heavy, requires care, that is, periodic calcination with salt and oil lubrication. Cast iron dishes can not be washed in the dishwasher and store food for a long time, as the iron can rust.
Service life: has almost no shelf life.
Tip: in terms of price-quality ratio is a good choice to pan from the Lodge. However, any cast-iron utensils will be good.
- Stainless Steel Frying Pan
Pros: Many professionals prepare stainless steel pans without any non-stick coating, as it preserves the flavor and color of the ingredients as much as possible. Stainless steel also make the dishes grill. It is durable, not afraid of knives and forks, as well as washing immediately after frying food. Easy to care if used correctly.
Cons: you need to adapt to it - to stir the food in time and to warm up the butter properly, otherwise the dish will stick. And on the "stainless steel" is very difficult to fry eggs.
Tip: is trusted by the expensive brands Fizzler, De Buyer and Lagostina, and the more affordable are Silampos Gourmet.
- Stainless steel-coated copper pan
Pros: is very beautiful in appearance, copper dishes are great for cooking dishes that require periodic temperature changes, so the copper cools quickly and just as quickly heats up.
Cons: cooking complexity, high price.
Service life: is durable.
Tip: Falk, Matfer Bourguet, Mauviel.
7 main tips: price, brands, signs of quality
How to choose the right frying pan and not get lost standing in the store? We have prepared 8 major recommendations for choosing a pan for universal use.
- If you decide to choose aluminum dishes with non-stick coating, then pay attention to cast aluminum, with thickened walls and bottom. Good reviews have: already mentioned Risoli and Woll, as well as less expensive Casta and Vari.
- The diameter, which is indicated by the manufacturer, is measured on the top of the dish, not on the bottom. The diameter of 24 cm is optimal for one person, 26 cm - families of 3 people, 28 cm - suitable for large families.
- Which pan is better from two models of the same type? The one with a thicker wall and bottom, the weight is heavier, and the non-stick layers are more.
- For roasting in the oven, choose dishes with a removable handle or a metal handle without plastic elements.
- For a glass-ceramic hob, contact with pans with a copper or aluminum bottom is undesirable.they leave traces.
- Only special cookware suitable for an induction cooker is marked with a special marking.
- A good frying pan, as a rule, costs at least 1500 rubles.
- Choosing a pan for universal use: comparison 7species, 6 tips and 1 video
- 7 ways to clean pans from soot, grease and rust
- Guide to choosing a universal knife and “kitchen triple”
- How to sharpen a kitchen knife - 7 steps for beginners
- Guide to choosing a dryer for dishes