Tidying up the orderThe garden area awakens from the winter sleep - the last snow comes off, the first flowers and leaves appear. There is no time to be lazy at this time - the cottager is waiting for a lot of things that are not urgent.
Bringing order to
On the soil that did not absorb the spring moisture, it is necessary to walk very carefully, avoiding a violation of its structure. In order to prevent stagnation of water, grooves for drainage are dug out. The area dried out after snow melting is cleared of last year’s foliage and dried grass on lawns with the help of a metal rake. Particular attention is paid to plant residues, covered with a pinkish bloom. Places affected by moss are sprayed with iron sulfate, diluting 500 g in 10 l of water. After 2 weeks, moss rake. Winter binding is removed from trees and shrubs. All garbage collected must be burned.
It is impossible to imagine a garden without flowers. Waking up from hibernation, they are waiting for our attention. Spring work on the care of plants takes a lot of time from gardeners:
- When the snow is completely gone, the irises, strawberries, clematis, and roses are planted for the winter. During the period of frosts, which still often occur in April, shelter from thermophilic crops is removed gradually, lifting it for a day and dropping it in the evenings.
- While the air temperature has not risen above 5 ° C, it is necessary to cut the roses. Old, as well as weakened, frozen, cracked branches are removed before the first bud, located on the bottom of the shoot with a healthy crown.
- The soil after wintering needs protection from the fungus. For this purpose, special fungicides are used. The next stage of processing is feeding and mulching.
- With the appearance of the first shoots on the bulbous flowers, it is required to spray them from pests.
- The soil around the lilies is free from mulch. When the stems grow back to protect against diseases, plants are watered diluted one tablespoon per liter of water with copper sulphate, soda and liquid ammonia.
- In April, sowing of annual dahlias, balsam, alissum, marigolds, and calendula seedlings begins.
- At the end of the month, before the period of active growth has come, they are engaged in the division of pions, irises, and other perennials.
Read also: Brussels sprouts - growing and care
Do not forget that feeding is necessary not only for flower beds, but also for lawn.
Taking care of trees and shrubs
For many, Dacha not only serves as a resting place, but also brings a good harvest of berries and fruits to a good owner. To do this, it is only necessary to ensure proper care of plantings. Be sure to pruning shrubs, if it was not done in the fall. The blackened tips of the shoots, affected by powdery mildew, are completely removed. Honeysuckle pruned only broken down and thickening crown branches. Currants put in order, removing old branches, as well as directed inside the crown. Gooseberry free from all young shoots located in the middle of the bush, leaving only growing at the edges.
When examining currant bushes, you should not miss the overgrown buds, which resemble a head of cabbage. They must be collected and burned immediately. Each such kidney contains not one thousand bud mites, which are the most dangerous pests of the garden.
Raspberry shoots that are crouched for the winter are released from a leash. After removing the damaged branches, the remaining ones are attached to the trellis pegs. It is recommended to shorten all tops with a 10 cm pruner.
Read also: Liana and shrubs for living, fast-growing, perennial and evergreen
If there are plantings of strawberries and strawberries at the dacha, they must be cleaned of mulch, dried leaves, cut off the whiskers and feed them. For this purpose, complex mineral fertilizers are used, diluting them at the rate of 2 spoons per square meter.
To obtain an early harvest of berries, strawberry bushes are recommended to cover with foil.
The trunks of the trees are carefully examined. The lichen that appeared on them during the winter should be removed by washing the bark with vitriol( 0.5 kg diluted in 10 liters of water).All cracks, hollows carefully cover up.
Read also: It’s quite easy to make a belt for fruit trees with your own hands.
After loosening the soil, mineral fertilizers are applied to the tree trunks. Solid scatter on the projection of the crown, digging or loosening the soil. Liquid is poured into annular grooves made at a distance of half a meter from the barrel. Up to 50 liters of divorced mullein are poured onto one adult tree, 10 liters for shrubs.
Pest and Disease Control
You can grow a beautiful flowering garden only by paying attention to measures aimed at combating diseases and pests:
- Branches that have golden-noose, Hawthorn nests must be cut and burned.
- Remove old tree trunks from the trunks of the bark and secure it with trapping belts of sackcloth soaked with insecticides.
- For preventive purposes, treat fruit plants with special preparations. Usually use Tanrek, Kinmiks, Biotlin.
- Bordeaux liquid, copper or iron sulphate used for spraying plants will help protect the planting from diseases.
In the northern regions, new trees and shrubs are recommended to be planted in April, before the bud break.
Performing work at the dacha in accordance with the gardener's calendar will help create an eye-pleasing landscape, as well as get a good harvest.
Video about garden work in April