Many gardeners have already mastered the technology of growing seedlings at home. Everyone can confirm that tomato bushes develop better from strong and healthy seedlings. Therefore, at the stage of growing young shoots, special attention is paid to fertilizer. In this review, we consider the most popular ways to fertilize seedlings with urea, ash and nettles.
Table of Contents
- How to understand that tomato seedlings need feeding?
- D AOURNEY PANEL OVERRANTS OVERALL OVERLAYin top dressing?
For the feeding of tomato seedlings, ready-made purchased fertilizers are used and are prepared by yourself according to popular recipes at home. The composition is selected depending on the goals: to stimulate the growth of shoots, in order to prevent diseases, to enrich the nutrients that contribute to the normal growing season. To determine the lack of any micro or macro elements, you just need to look at the plant, it itself gives a hint:
Signs of iron deficiency in tomato Violet leaf color of tomatoes indicates phosphorus deficiency Signs of calcium deficiencyFirst feed is administered after the formation of the first leaf on the seedling. Further, according to the compiled schedule.
- If you feel lack of iron , then the leaves become pale, and the green veins are clearly pronounced.
- With slow growth , most likely not enough nitrogen fertilizers. They will help to restore withering and dried shoots.
- In the case of the appearance of a violet hue , phosphorus-based supplements are used.
- Leaves turn white and deform more often when calcium deficiency occurs.
- If the fruits appear dark spots , then most likely the problem is a lack of calcium. At the same time spotting on other parts of the plant is absent.
- When stopping the growth of a shoot there is a lack of magnesium and potassium.
Useful feeds for tomato seedlings in greenhouses and open ground
Tomatoes for full growth and abundant fruiting requires different foods, containing a certain set of trace elements:
In addition to the main components, complex tools include: calcium, copper, iron, zinc, and other substances.
Urea: fertilizer after planting
Urea( urea) is a white granule. Fertilizer supplies the plant with nitrogen, soil bacteria react with the substance, transforming the main component into ammonium carbonate. The formed product partially evaporates, which eliminates the effect of accumulation of the compound in the fruit.
How to use urea correctly when planting a tomato? A feature of the use of urea is moisture soil before sprinkling. If this is not possible, then the added supplement must be covered with a small layer of soil. Per square meter consumed 10-15 grams.facilities. At cultivation of solutions on a bucket of water add 20-30 gr.Urea slightly acidifies the soil and does not like vegetable crops. The effect is neutralized with ground limestone( 0.8 kg of limestone is taken for 1 kg of carbamide).
The benefits of urea:
- substance is completely soluble in water ;
- with the correct use of , the accumulation of nitrates in the soil and fruits is eliminated;
- accelerated growth of vegetative mass ;
- acts as a means of combating and prevention from insects and diseases .
When working with urea, some nuances should be taken into account:
- uses warm water to prepare the working solution( the reaction during dissolution reduces the temperature of the liquid, the tomatoes under irrigation will be stressed);
- in large quantities fertilizer can burn plants( in order not to damage the shoots, sodium sulphate must be added to the solution).
The use of urea for fertilizing after planting tomatoes is beneficial in that the seedlings are more durable due to the strengthening of the immune system. At an early stage, seedlings are actively increasing the green mass, and the root system is developing well.Urea is used for all types of soil.
Use of wood ash
Wood ash is considered one of the most affordable fertilizers, rich in minerals. However, do not use it uncontrollably. To determine the dosage, the type of cultivated crop and the type of soil are taken into account.
The chemical composition of ash includes the following substances useful for tomatoes: phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium, etc. Nutritional components play an important role in photosynthesis, increase plant resistance to diseases and pests, contribute to the better development of the root system, prolong the fruiting period.Wood Ash is a popular tool in horticulture and gardening. However, such a valuable and useful product cannot be used as the main one. Plant nutrition must be balanced, so minerals are used in combination with organic matter.
How to fertilize the plant with ashes, how to properly dilute the infusion and water?
- for the preparation of an infusion dissolve 200 gr.ash in a bucket of water and insist 1-2 days;
- when spraying on the soil contribute 200-300 grams.on 1 m2;
- for cultivation solution on a bucket of water take 100 grams.
The advantages of wood ash:
- affordable and inexpensive way to fertilize the beds ;
- is used by as a food for and the prevention of certain diseases and pests;
- can be used in several ways - dusting, spraying, watering at the root;
- security means.
The disadvantage is the short-term effect of wood ash-based products; therefore, the procedures and treatments are repeated several times.
From nettle: how to infuse and water
For replenishment of nutrient reserves, gardeners use nettle along with wood ash and urea. Its main advantage is naturalness and safety, which is important for obtaining an environmentally friendly harvest. The burning plant is saturated with nitrogen compounds. The composition is also rich in valuable minerals and trace elements such as: potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamins A, E, B, K, carbon compounds, etc.
The advantage of using tomatoes as fertilizer is as follows:
- stimulates the growth of young shoots ;
- has fortifying effect , increases resistance to diseases and pests;
- destroys aphids in stable hot weather;
- contributes to the increase in green mass seedlings.
To obtain a good harvest of tomatoes and other cultures of the family of bowling, it is recommended to combine nettle infusions with the use of mineral fertilizers. The alternation of such dressings will provide tomatoes with all the necessary nutrients.Fresh nettle branches are more valuable than pharmacy counterparts. Therefore, you can grow a plant right on the site. When collecting grass in nature, avoid places close to the highway and industrial facilities.
The benefits of nettle-based products:
- soil restoration, enrichment with micronutrients;
- available raw materials;
- application safety;
- complex effects on tomatoes.
Virtually no nettle deficiencies, except that you have to tinker with collecting herbs and preparing infusions.
Among gardeners, fertilizers based on nettle are very popular. From the most simple, but effective recipes are the following options for infusions.
Recipe No. 1
Freshly harvested grass is filled with a large container and filled with cold water until the liquid covers it completely. Tara covered with a lid and leave the contents for several weeks( until the moment when the fermentation process begins). At least 2 times a week, you must mix the potion.
High temperature contributes to rapid fermentation, so the tank needs to be installed in direct sunlight. Also, gardeners add fermentation catalysts( yeast or fertilizer Baikal) to the mixture. After the appearance of persistent ammonia aroma and thick foam, the infusion can be supplemented with a sprig of valerian and wood ash. It neutralizes the stench.
End of fermentation is expressed in reduced gas formation and the disappearance of foam. The resulting liquid is filtered through gauze, folded in 2-3 layers. Green fertilizer diluted with water: for foliar dressing 1:20, for watering 1:10.This solution can feed not only tomato bushes, but also cucumbers, peppers and strawberries.
Recipe # 2
Pick up the nettle, wormwood, dandelion and yarrow plants in a plastic container, fill it with water and cover with a lid. Leave for 10 days in the sun. After the start of fermentation, add ½ tsp.yeast and give the infusion to ferment until the formation of bubbles. Pass the obtained liquid through a sieve or gauze layer, dilute with water in a ratio of 1:10.
Recipe No. 3
Pour the chopped green nettle into a non-metallic container, add crushed bread and a bag of dry baker's yeast. Cover with water at room temperature and cover the container with a lid. After 5 days, the potion will be ready. After straining, you will only need to dilute the concentrated fertilizer with water in the ratio of 1:10 and water the plants.
In fact, there are more fertilizer options for seedlings; in the article there are examples of only the most popular and affordable nutrient formulations. For the long-term practice of growing tomatoes , each gardener acquires his own practices and recipes, adapted for specific conditions( for greenhouses or open ground) and varieties.