They practically do not require care, even an inexperienced gardener can cope with growing. The mass of varieties of this plant has been derived. In order not to get confused in such a variety, it is necessary to study irises, varieties with photos and names. This will help create a spectacular garden of envy to all neighbors.
Varieties of irises
Iris is a perennial unpretentious plant, which is characterized by an unusual shape and color of flowers. It is suitable for cultivation in open areas flooded with sunlight. A distinctive feature of the flowers is their charming delicate aroma. Therefore, they are often used in the perfume industry.
Wild irises today can be found on the meadows, in the steppes or on the cliffs. In the conditions of greenhouses, about five hundred different varieties have been developed, which are suitable for growing on household plots. They can be divided into several large groups:
In European countries, it is common to divide these plants into 10–15 categories. Separately isolated curb, Californian and some other species. To decide which of them will take root on your site, study attentively the irises, their varieties with photos and names.
Bearded Iris is considered one of the most common plant varieties. Its distinctive feature is the presence of fine hairs on the lower petals. They have a more saturated color compared to the general tone of the flower. Among the most spectacular varieties are:
- Cloud Ballet. The variety attracts with its touching and romance, which are emphasized by an elegant wavy edge and a pleasant white and blue color. The aroma of flowers captured notes of caramel and apple.
- Depeche Mode. The variety belongs to the category of flowers with a "broken color."A bright purple pattern consisting of small strokes and thin lines appears on a delicate yellow background.
- Arabian Story. It embodies the exquisite combination of yellow and orange shades. Flowers have a delicate aroma with notes of citrus.
- Back in Black. Showy dark purple flower. From afar, it seems almost black. Great for creating contrasting beds of unusual design.
- Heritage Lace. This flower will be loved by connoisseurs of ageless classics. He is like an elegant lace creates an atmosphere of lightness and airiness.
Read also: The Divine Queen of Flowers - Lady's Slipper
This is only a small part of the diversity on the market today. When choosing, pay attention to the fact that the flowers are in harmony with the neighboring specimens and fit into the overall design of the site.
The height of such varieties can reach 80 cm, so you should not plant them in close proximity to light-loving low-growing plants.
Dwarf Iris differs from its counterparts in small growth. The height of peduncles does not exceed 40 cm. In most varieties, this parameter is even 20 cm. They will become an ideal option for making small compact beds. Among the most popular varieties are:
- Wink. Exquisite snow-white flower, which is framed on the edge of delicate blue petals. On one peduncle appears on two buds. The size of one flower does not exceed 9 cm.
- Cry Baby. Young flowers have a blue color. Over time, they fade and become almost white. On one peduncle blooms up to three buds.
- Little Dream. The color of the petals can vary from purple to pale blue. The size of the flower in diameter does not exceed 10 cm.
- Sapphire Gem. Petals have a bright saturated color. They can see thin light grooves. The height of the stem does not exceed 37 cm. There are three or four flowers on one peduncle.
Dwarf irises feel good on light, moisture-permeable soils. If you have heavy soil in the garden, then enter the sand into it before planting.
Everyone is used to the fact that irises are rhizomatous plants. Modern specialists managed to bring several varieties grown from bulbs. They differ unusually early flowering. They can be compared with snowdrops. As soon as the snow melts, the first flowers appear. There are three main types:
- Iridodictum or Iris net. Plant height does not exceed 15 cm. At one place can grow up to six years. Leaves appear simultaneously with the peduncle. The flowering period lasts for two weeks. Fully leaves and peduncles die off by the middle of June. A distinctive feature of such flowers becomes a two-tone color, on which the strokes of a contrasting shade are clearly visible. Popular varieties: Dunford, Baker, Vinogradov and others.
- Juno. This variety of iris is considered rare. Flowering of such plants is observed in late May - early June. The height of peduncles can reach 40 cm. Crescent-shaped leaves are arranged in several tiers. On one peduncle can bloom up to five flowers. It is recommended to dig out the bulbs in July, dry them well and plant them back in September. Of particular interest are varieties: Nicholas, Caucasian, Orchid.
- Xypheum or Dutch Iris. This species is considered the most capricious. It will be possible to get beautiful flowers only if all the rules of agricultural technology are observed. Varieties of this species do not tolerate frost. Therefore, the bulbs will have to dig for the winter. Since the price of xypium bulbs is low, many people prefer to grow them as a one-year crop. Today on sale you can find a mix of Dutch irises. One bundle of bulbs is enough to create a spectacular flower bed.
Read also: Key rules for the care of aquatic plants
Onion irises look good in a bed with crocuses, muscari, galantus and so on. They will be ideal for alpine slides.
These varieties can be grown in pots and large pots. They will be an excellent decoration of the verandas and gazebos.
Photos Siberian irises are impressive. They are distinguished by the extraordinary beauty of flowers. The value of this species is also in the fact that the foliage of the plant has a rich green color throughout the season. The most spectacular varieties are:
- Ester C.D.M.This iris is white without blotches of any other colors. The flowers look light and airy. It seems that they hover over the foliage. The variety has large, wide leaves.
- Clarkei. The flowers are painted in delicate violet-blue tones. White background strokes of small size stand out against their background. The height of the peduncle can reach 60 cm.
- Delavayi. This variety has a shape of petals. They are oblong and rather narrow. Painted in blue and purple. They are visible light streaks. Peduncle in height does not grow more than 60 cm.
- Dykesii. Tall variety. The height of the peduncle can reach 90 cm. In the flower, dark blue petals alternate with rich purple. They have touches of bright yellow.
These varieties look spectacular along the banks of improvised reservoirs, in large rockeries. Groups of such flowers can decorate the lawn, which will make the landscape unusual.
Iris marsh or iris grows everywhere in our country. The leaves of this species have a xiphoid shape. Their length can reach two meters. This species feels well in the penumbra. Therefore, these flowers can be planted along fences or near trees with a not too dense crown. Among the most popular varieties are:
- Veriegata. Flowers medium-sized soft blue hue. This iris iris is valued for its high decorative leaves. They are bright green and beautiful yellow stripes. The most impressive plant looks in the spring. Closer to the fall, it loses its decorative effect.
- Flore Plena. This iris is yellow. Flowers terry. They stand out brightly against the background of dark green foliage. The plant develops well, provided there is a sufficient amount of moisture and sunny color.
- Black Form. Showy dark purple flower. Small yellow strokes are visible on the lower petals. The height of the adult specimen does not exceed 50 cm.
Read also: What to do with the arrow after the completion of the orchid bloom?
After examining these varieties of irises with photos and names, we can conclude that they are ideal for group plantings. With the help of different types of irises, you can create spectacular flowerbeds.
Japanese iris has orchid-shaped flowers. Their size can vary from 15 to 25 cm. In Japan, such plants are planted so that they can be admired from a height. From this perspective, they look the most impressive. Plants are large, so when planting between them it is necessary to maintain a distance of at least 30 cm. Most popular varieties:
- Ghost of happiness. The flower consists of six petals. They are white in color and pale pink. With age, the flower becomes completely white. Flowering occurs in mid-July.
- Vasily Alferov. This is a giant plant, the height of which can reach 110 cm. It is distinguished by large flowers of dark purple color with splashes of yellow. Petals have a velvety texture. Flowering continues for 19 days. On one peduncle bloom three or four buds.
- Altai. Differs in a pleasant lilac color of the petals. Each flower has a small yellow tongue. It blooms for two weeks in mid-July.
- Vivat Rodionenko. The flowers of this variety have six petals. They are painted in a delicate purple color. On petals there are small bluish streaks and spots. A white pestle is visible in the middle of the flower. On one peduncle bloom on two flowers.
After examining the photos of varieties of irises, you will be able to choose the planting material appropriate for your soil type. If you choose instances with different periods of flowering, you can admire the beauty of flowers all summer.
Irises bloom in the garden - video