Compliance with the rules of agricultural engineering can not fully guarantee high yields. Like other crops, tomatoes are subject to the onslaught of pests that are not averse to feast on young leaves or sap of the plant. The main task of the gardener is the timely implementation of preventive measures and instant response to insect attacks.
- main pests of tomato seedlings
- methods control the Colorado potato beetle
- Processing tomato against whitefly
- Spider mite
- wire worm
- sprout fly
- Ogorodnaya scoop
- root-knot nematode
main pests of tomato seedlings
Many parasites are tiny sizes,but this does not mean that they are harmless. In just a few days, a voracious flock can destroy an entire tomato bed or all the seedlings on the windowsill. Delay in processing sometimes deprives the crop. Pests are populated both on young shoots and mature bushes. The stage of plant development in this case does not matter. Not only the top part of the bush, but also the root system is exposed to danger. Therefore, to relax before the end of the collection of vegetables should not be.
Methods of dealing with the Colorado potato beetle
A potato lover does not deny himself the pleasure of moving to a tomato garden. Recognize it simply by the characteristic color( alternating stripes of orange and black colors).Very quickly, the parasite lays larvae on the outside of the leaf. The intensity of eating greens is so high that in a few days only the remains of stalks can remain from the bed. The danger of a pest is also high due to the fact that it has no enemies in nature.
- assembly of insects and larvae by hand( carried out daily and preferably in the morning and evening);
- planting between beds of marigolds, garlic, marigolds;
- treatment of plants with special preparations( Aktara, Prestige, Mospilan).
Processing tomato against whitefly
A small insect with white wings settles on the underside of a leaf with whole hordes. A favorite delicacy is the sap of plants. In addition, the parasites carry a number of diseases, infect tomato beds with waste products. Affected bushes begin to fade.
- treat the beds with infusion of garlic;
- installation traps( adhesive tape).
Get rid of the pest is not so easy. Chemicals are used extremely rarely, so as not to poison the crop. Voracious insect gnaws through the stalks of seedlings, damages the root system, fruits. A tomato for an underground dweller is considered a real delicacy.
- elimination of the use of fresh mullein as a fertilizer, which attracts Medvedka;
- flooding with a normal soap solution followed by catching insects( you can also use sunflower oil, crushed egg shells);
- digging a site in late autumn contributes to the destruction of burrows and freezing of parasites;
- arrangement of traps( beer, manure, compost, etc.);
- use of drugs( Granule, Rembek, Medvetoks).
Small bright spots and leaves tangled with cobwebs indicate the invasion of a spider mite. It is populated on tomatoes by the whole populations, quickly multiplies. The interest of the parasite is to suck the juice from the plant. Among other signs: holed leaves, yellowness on the leaves, which subsequently deforms the leaf and causes the bush to dry.
- spraying a bed of garlic infusion with the addition of soap;
- tomato processing infusion of dandelion;
- use of special tools( Karbofos, Iskra M, Fufanon).
A dark green insect of microscopic size( about 2 mm) settles on the underside of the leaves, intensively feeding on the sap of the plant. Aphid attracts to the place of settlement of ants that feed on its excrement. You can even recognize the parasite by the faded appearance of the bush, yellowing drying leaves, fallen ovaries.
- spraying affected plants with infusion of onion peel or garlic;
- dusting the beds with wood ash;
- rinsing the bush with insects with a solution of laundry soap and flea shampoo;
- dusting tomatoes with tobacco dust;
- application of insecticides( Fitoverm, Karate, Aktellik).
A microscopic insect( about 1 mm) that looks like a butterfly. It feeds on plant sap, disrupting the movement of nutrients through the vessels. As a result of the invasion of parasites, the culture is first covered with small silvery spots, which then grow and unite with each other.
- for preventive measures should be promptly removed from the beds of weeds that attract insects;
- before the first frost need to dig up the ground to destroy the larvae;
- in the detection of pests use special preparations( Vermitek, Akarin).
wireworms The wireworm is a larva of click beetles, it is easy to recognize by its orange color and touch-stiff frame. Parasites feed on tomato roots, as a result of which the plant weakens and dies.
- mechanical insect extraction when digging soil;
- planting next to tomatoes radish, cabbage, turnips;
- mulching of beds with sawdust or straw impregnated with urea;
- treatment of beds with drugs( Aktara, Antihrusch, Prestige).
The appearance of insects is almost the same as ordinary flies, but the interest of these pests is focused on vegetable crops. Parasites damage everything: seeds, root system, young shoots.
- digging a vegetable garden in late autumn, harvesting all plant debris;
- embedding manure into the soil;
- treatment of beds of tobacco infusion;
- application of insecticides( Fitoverm, Strela, Bazudin).
Two-colored butterfly( later caterpillar), leading nocturnal. Insect length reaches 3-4 cm, color - light green-yellow with bright yellow side stripe( caterpillar) and brown in various shades( butterfly). Voracious pests feed on leaves, making holes through them. Immature fruits are also of interest.
- as a preventive measure, it is necessary to dig up a plot in the late autumn, carefully removing plant residues from it;
- before the formation of the fruit can be treated with insecticides in case of detection of the caterpillar( Inta-vir, Fas, Zeta).
The parasite is a filamentous worm, whose dimensions are about 2 mm. One of the signs of the presence of a nematode is the formation of altered expanded tissue( galls) on the roots of a tomato. Affected cultures are significantly lagging behind in development. Other symptoms indicate the presence of water and mineral deficiency. In most cases, save the plant fails.
- as a preventive measure before planting bleach is introduced into the ground;
- garden beds for tomatoes plan better after garlic, onion or calendula;
- to carry out treatment with the drug Fitoverm.
To have knowledge means to be fully armed. Timely diagnosis of the problem will help to quickly select the necessary tool for the treatment of beds, thereby not leaving a chance to pests.