- №1. Enameled sink: the pros and cons
- №2. Types of enameled sinks
- No. 3. The shape and size of the enameled sink
- №4. What must be considered when buying?
- №5. Mounting method
- №6. Features of care
- In conclusion
Everything in the kitchen revolves around the refrigerator, cooker and sink, and the last one gets the most: boiling water, a sharp temperature drop, oily and dirty dishes, detergent... To withstand such an attack, the shell must be very strong, but at the same time its appearance important. Let's not hide that today the palm tree of the kitchen sinks belongs to models made of stainless steel. In the back they are breathing sinks made of artificial stone, but the demand for once so popular enameled samples today is small. What is the reason? Are the enameled shells so bad, or is it just that we do not pay attention to them, following the fashion for bowls made of stainless steel and composite? We deal with this issue and learn how to choose the enameled kitchen sink correctly.
№1. Enameled sink: the pros and cons
Still recently covered with snow-white enamel cast-iron or steel sink was the same symbol of the kitchen, as it is today a sofa for the living room. It was believed that such products are ideal from the point of view of aesthetics. Today enameled sinks are often used by those who want to create a retro interior in the kitchen. However, you can love these products not only for the original appearance, but also for a lot of excellent performance.
So, inThe advantages of enameled kitchen sinks are:
- durability. With relatively simple care, the product will quietly last about two decades;
- low price. Enameled sink is almost alwaysthe most budgetary option;
- strength, resistance to high temperatures and temperature changes;
- enamel protects the substrate from corrosion;
- excellent appearance;
- a variety of shapes, sizes and colors. Steel sinks, for example, can not boast of a large assortment of shades;
- universality. A wide range of products allows you to enter enameled car wash without problems, not only in the retro interior, but also in almost any other interior style.
Advantages so much that the enameled sink can be considered to purchase on a par with the models of stainless steel and stone, but do not forget to take into account andlimitationssimilar products:
- from strong impacts, the enamel can crack, which will not only worsen the appearance of the bowl, but also make it less resistant to corrosion. Cracks and chips can occur when heavy pans and pans fall, so be extremely careful;
- white enamel can gradually lose its whiteness as a result of interaction with dyes in food and detergents. Maintaining the cup in the original state will not be easy, but, in principle, it is possible;
- clean the surface of the sink can not be acid-containing products (corrode enamel) and metal brushes (scratch the coating);
- When the water falls, a loud loud sound will occur. If before that you had a stainless steel sink, then you will not have to get used - the sound is about the same.
Enamelled sinks are not ideal, but with proper care they can last long enough, so when choosing a kitchen sink, the option with an enameled bowl should definitely be considered, especially if the budget is tight is limited.
№2. Types of enameled sinks
Enamel is only the top layer of the sink, its protective coating, thanks to which numerous useful performance qualities are provided. Under the enamel is usually hidden steel, less often - cast iron, and sometimes ceramics. Depending on the material of the substrate, some of the washing properties are different:
- for the manufacture ofsteel baseusually use low-carbon grades of steel, due to which it is possible to obtain products of various shapes. These are durable sinks that withstand solid loads, are not afraid of high temperatures, have a relatively small weight, but they rustle when they get a flow of water from under the tap. On the basic properties of such products resemble ordinary washes made of stainless steel, but at the same time they benefit from a variety of colors;
- cast iron basemakes the product unnecessarily heavy, and if earlier with this lack for some lack of options somehow put up, now the pig-iron enameled sinks have lost popularity. However, outwardly such models look no worse than competitors, they are distinguished by high strength, durability and very advantageous price, and for this iron sinks can forgive their weight and the inconveniences caused by it in terms of transportation and installation;
- enamel is applied toceramic base, but such products are still considered to be ceramic wash. Enamel is making already sufficiently resistant to negative factors, ceramic washes are practically invulnerable to high temperatures and mechanical damages. The other side is fragility.
The first two options have become most popular. If there is a need to save money, you can safely take a cast-iron enamel sink - it will be as durable and strong, but only on the variety of forms of cast iron products are much inferior to steel, which is due to the nuances of technology production.
No. 3. The shape and size of the enameled sink
The main thing when choosing a kitchen sink, from whatever material it was, isdepth. If you take an excessively deep bowl in the hope of putting more dishes or vegetables in it for washing, then you can face back pain, if, of course, the working processes in the kitchen are more or less actively. A small sink will bring inconveniences in the form of splashes throughout the kitchen. The optimum depth parameter is 15-18 cm.
Selectionwidth of the sinkdepends on the area of the kitchen and your activity on it. The standard parameter is 50-60 cm, but there are also more compact products if the space in the kitchen is in short supply. If the table top is narrow, you can look for a sink wider than the standard one. Bowls with a width of more than 60 cm will suit also in cases when the hostess actively uses the kitchen, and the area of the room is sufficient.
Keep in mind that a bowl with a width of more than 80 cm is difficult to find. If you plan to wash 70-110 cm under the sink, it is much more reasonable to take the productwith an additional bowl. It will allow more efficient organization of kitchen processes. In the second bowl, it will be possible to defrost minced meat or wash vegetables, while the first stores dirty dishes. Additional bowl in size can be identical to the main one, and maybe several times smaller than it. There are washeswith three bowls: this is usually a corner model, where two small additional washers are located on each side of the main. Note that it is not easy to find an enameled sink with an additional bowl - the most popular option is the usual sink with one bowl.
In respect offormsthe variety is small. Yes, it is theoretically possible to make a shell of any shape, but in domestic stores the most popular option is a square sink with rounded corners. It is quite comfortable, roomy and, most importantly, universal. If you look, you can find round enameled sinks and even corner ones.
Many products receive a wing, a place for pre-drying dishes. It can be located on the left, on the right, or on both sides. There are products in which the wing is located between the bowl and the wall, in the area where the mixer is attached. This is a good option for small kitchens.
№4. What must be considered when buying?
Going to the store for an enameled kitchen sink, do not forget to look not only at the size and appearance, but also onproduct quality. Enamel should be perfectly smooth and smooth, without chips, cracks and other defects. The enamel layer should be uniform and thick enough. If it is insufficient, then the material of the substrate will shine through. Any chip, even the smallest, shortens the life of the sink and brings the moment when it will be covered with rust, so be careful.
On sale are mainly sampleswhite. This is a classic. If you work hard, you can find products andother shades. Choose a shade in the tone of the countertop, apron or other significant elements of the kitchen interior.
In addition to the sink you can buydrain plug, which will allow you to collect a small bath and soak dishes, vegetables or greens. Washing vegetables is also convenient in specialbaskets, and to unfreeze meat and minced meat - incolander(this is a bowl with small holes at the bottom for the outflow of water). All these devices exactly repeat the shape of the sink, due to which the kitchen space becomes more comfortable for the hostess. You can also buy andchopping board, corresponding to the shape of the bowl: not only will the additional workplace appear, but also the cleaning / cutting / cutting processes will be more convenient at times. To equip the sink can besoap dispenseror detergent: the dispensary will be under the sink, and the dispenser itself - near the mixer.
№5. Mounting method
Depending on the method of installation enameled kitchen sinks are divided into:
Overhead washersactually replace part of the countertop and mounted on top of one of the kitchen modules or on the curb. The installation process is quite simple, but it is necessary to thoroughly process the joints of the sink with the wall and other lockers.
Mortice sinksare installed in the work surface. A hole of the appropriate size is prepared in advance on the countertop, where the sink is installed. From the top you will notice small side edges, and on the opposite side the sink is fixed to the table top using screws or brackets. Such fastening, although it gives excellent stability, but can lead to some difficulties during the repair. That is why today, more and more often the installation of such washers is carried out with clip clips that are installed on the countertop and snapped into the sink. In which case, they simply unfasten and remove the sink, gaining access to communications.
№6. Features of care
To enameled sink for a long time was as new, it is necessary to keep it clean. Each time after use, the walls and the bottom of the bowl should be cleaned with a sponge or a kapron brush. Once a week, you can wash the sink with a special enamel. You can use other detergents, but it is important that they do not contain acids that are destructive to enamel.
Use abrasive cleaners, too hard jaws and metal brushes are not recommended - they can leave micro-cuts on the surface of the enamel and start the process of its destruction.
As for the manufacturers, the enameled sinks are mainly represented by domestic companies. Good products are sold under the brands Elsotherm, Santehprom, Gran-Stone, Santex, Antika. Basically, these are simple and inexpensive products that show themselves well in operation. If the budget allows, you can buy a more expensive and refined model, which will have an unusual shape and color, perfectly fitting into your kitchen interior.