The content of the article:
Properly selected feeders for pigs are not only a pledge of satiety of animals. From the design and size of this equipment depends on how clean and quality the feed will be, as well as its economical expenditure. No less important and installed on the farm drinking bowls.
What are the requirements for feeders and drinking bowls for pigs? What constructive solutions are the most effective and affordable in the conditions of a personal farmstead?
Varieties and arrangement of feeding troughs for pigs
The simplest feeders used for the fattening of any type of domestic animals and poultry are open containers of suitable size and depth. An example is a plastic or metal trough for pigs.
The advantage of such feeders is their cheapness and simplicity, but the feed mixtures in them are easily polluted, and they can not be dosed.
Another principle of action for bunker feeders for pigs. Designed for distribution of dry food, the structures consist of:
- from the bunker, where the feed mixture is initially filled;
- from the tray, into which food then enters;
- from the restrictive laths, which do not allow the excess food from the bunker to immediately get on the pallet;
- from the tray, from where the food is eaten by pigs;
- from the side barriers, which do not allow the mixture to spill over the limits of the feeder.
From the top of the hopper filled with food for the pigs through the slot below falls into the tray, where it is eagerly eaten by animals. As soon as the trough for the pigs is empty, and a gap opens into the hopper, as a new portion of food is poured down, and the feeder is again filled. As a result:
- the food stays fresh and fresh longer;
- even the weakest and latecomers do not starve;
- food does not scatter on the floor, which allows you to save and not be afraid of infection of animals with helminths or other infections;
- The livestock spends less time servicing livestock and feeding it.
Nipple drinkers for pigs
Similarly, nipple drinkers for pigs, although more expensive than conventional troughs, but more reliable than them, are more convenient and safer.
Unlike open water drinkers, where water is always available to pigs, nipple designs work only when the animal presses on the nipple and these open the supply of moisture. As a result, the liquid is not soiled for a long time, does not get on the litter and is consumed much more economically.
These drinkers can be bought or made by themselves. In the latter case, it must be remembered that the water pressure should be less than 2 atmospheres for piglets and 4 if the equipment is mounted in a pigsty for adult animals.
Whatever the design of the feeding trough for pigs or drinkers the livestocker chooses, its dimensions should be such that it would be convenient for all the inhabitants of the pigsty to approach the trough.
Requirements for feeders and drinking bowls for pigs
The sizes of the tanks for feeding and watering the animals depend on the age and sex of the pigs, and also on their quantity. The smaller the pigs, the more small and narrow troughs they are offered, the more animals can be simultaneously placed next to the hopper for pigs or a conventional trough.
The same criteria are used for the arrangement of long open water drinkers, as well as for the calculation of the number of places, if pig nipples for pigs are to be installed in the pigsty.
The height at which it is best to mount the drinkers also depends on the parameters of the herd. It is convenient to determine it based on the weight of the animals. Long troughs are often divided by lintels to make animals eat from the strictly designated area of the pallet. In addition to the size and depth requirements, pig feeders and drinkers should:
- easy to clean and wash;
- have a design that is protected from urine, droppings, litter fragments or other debris;
- be sufficiently capacious and stable, so that the food does not spill out, and the water does not splash;
- located on a convenient territory for access.
Feeders for pigs intended for liquid food and drinkers should not leak.
Feeder for pigs own hands
Buy ready drinkers and feeders - not a problem. But in order to save money, you can make comfortable and inexpensive equipment for a pigsty yourself.
For the manufacture of a simple design, plastic or metal drums, asbestos-cement and plastic pipes of large diameter and even obsolete cylinders from under the gas are suitable.
Depending on the diameter of the existing barrel, the vessel along the long side is cut into two or three parts. The resulting troughs are thoroughly washed, dried and fixed to heavy stable supports or bars. Sharp sections must be treated with sandpaper or folded so that the pigs are not injured.
Similarly, make feeders for pigs from old cylinders:
- Previously, the equipment is bleached with gas residues, checking the emptiness of the tank with soap foam.
- Then, from the lying balloon, the valve is cut very accurately, regularly moistening the place of the incision.
- When the valve is removed, the container is thoroughly washed, and the used water is poured away from the residential buildings.
- The longitudinal cutting of the balloon will turn it into two troughs for pigs.
- The tanks are fired.
- On top of the feeders can attach a metal grate, lowering which it is easy to prevent the ingress of pigs inside the trough.
A similar technology is also used in the case when a pipe made of asbestos cement or plastic is chosen for the production of a feeder or a drinking bowl. Self-made feeders for pigs from these materials are not corroded, they are easy to maintain and can be transported, for example, for installation on the ground.