- Water emulsion - is an emulsion consisting of water, pigments and small particles of polymers, which are the basis. This species is breathable, that prevents the formation of fungi and mildew. has high adhesive characteristics, which prevent its premature peeling and flaking. The color palette of the is very wide and varied. There are even textured varieties that create a variety of relief. This type of paintwork material is not intended for decoration of rooms with high humidity levels. The maximum that is able to withstand the finished coating is cleaning with a barely damp cloth or grouting more serious dirt no more than two or three times. With frequent friction and exposure to water, the appearance loses its attractiveness, and the damaged area will have to be repainted. By the way, it is very rarely possible to do this without visible transitions. Therefore, it is recommended to use a water-based variety for decoration of rooms in which is possible a minimum level of pollution, for example for living rooms or bedrooms.
- Water-dispersion compositions, like the previous ones, can pass air well, , but at the same time, they withstand regular wet cleaning more consistently. Most often, these paints are produced in white, but you have the opportunity to get the desired shade , adding a special concentrated dye. The amount and intensity of color will depend on the number of colors, which allows you to create smooth transitions or gradients. Due to the greater wear resistance of , this type of coating can be used in rooms that are more prone to pollution, for example, in the hallway, kitchen, toilet. But for use in the bathroom or in the bathroom, this type of paint, however, is not recommended.
- Acrylic compounds that do not contain excess impurities, have very high rates of elasticity, mechanical resistance and gas-tightness. Due to these properties, it is successfully used for waterproofing works, for example for painting reinforced concrete. This coating is not subject to change even with constant exposure to ultraviolet rays. Due to its composition, this type of paint can even clog small cracks and pores on the surface, thereby preventing water penetration. The cost of quality pure acrylic paint, compared with other types, tangible, but it allows you to create good insulation.
- Latex paints contain an additional element - rubber, , which makes the finished coating very durable, resistant to mechanical stress and elastic. The wall painted with this kind of acrylic composition absolutely is not afraid of moisture and direct water, which allows you to successfully use it for painting the bathroom or work surface right next to the sink, besides, it is very easy to remove dirt from such a coating. A pleasant matte texture, which has latex paint, has a very attractive appearance and looks much more interesting than glossy. Such paint is often covered with special wallpaper for painting in order to emphasize their texture and create a protective layer in the form of a very thin transparent film. In addition, a matte finish can visually smooth out small unevenness of and wall imperfections. There is a glossy variety of such paint, which has an even higher moisture resistance of and antistatic. But remember that the gloss unprofitable emphasizes all the defects of your walls, therefore, it is recommended to apply it only on a perfectly flat surface.
- Polyvinyl acetate paints have a very narrow purpose and low cost. The main component of their composition is PVA glue. On the other hand, this is an environmentally friendly type of coating that is not affected by ultraviolet rays and is not afraid of oily or greasy dirt. The disadvantages of this kind of are the absolute lack of moisture resistance and a very poor color palette. You can paint such only on your own, and even then you will hardly be able to achieve rich and vivid colors. It is possible to get only pleasant shades. In this regard, polyvinyl acetate paints are used only for painting ceilings in dry rooms. Because of the simple components of the composition and narrow application, import manufacturers almost do not produce this type, so almost all the goods you find will be of domestic production, which generally has a positive effect on the cost.
- Silicone paints are the most expensive. This is due to increased moisture resistance and vapor permeability. Due to its special composition, this type of coating can easily mask shallow cracks, chips or irregularities of the treated surface. It very well keeps on any material of a basis and even on a layer of an old paint and varnish covering. This paint can also be used in wet premises, and in rooms with high rates of contamination, without fear that the coating will lose color, peel off or fade. Despite all its positive aspects, because of its price, these colors are used quite rarely.
- 1. Main varieties of acrylic paint and tips for choosing
- 2. Advantages and disadvantages of acrylic paint
- 3. Features of painting walls
- 4. We paint the ceiling correctly
- 5. Is it advisable to paint the floor?
- 6. Manufacturers of acrylic paints
Rarely what repairs do without the use of paint. Even window slopes, many of us still prefer to simply paint a matte white paint. This is not surprising, because this material has a lot of advantages, and for a small amount of money, you have an endless color palette, thanks to which you can create such a bright and rich interior than with any other finishing methods. Paint differs not only in color, but also composition. If earlier oil paints were at the peak of popularity, today they have given way to acrylic. We understand how to properly select and paint acrylic paint on walls, ceilings and floors.
1. The main varieties of acrylic paint and tips for choosing
Acrylic paint is a water-dispersion paint based on polyacrylates, as well as their copolymers, which are used for film formation. Polyacrylates are polymers of acrylic, methacrylic or cyanoacrylic esters. This type of paint is most prevalent due to the fact that its technical characteristics are superior to other emulsion paints. It is used for finishing work both inside and outside the premises. Its main feature of is that after drying, the water evaporates completely, leaving only the polymer layer.
consists of six main types of emulsion compositions:
As you can see, acrylic compositions compare favorably among all emulsion compounds. A variety of acrylic compositions provides you with a huge selection, both in principle and in color and cost. For each room, with its specific features, it is possible to choose the ideal coating , both matte and glossy.
2. Advantages and disadvantages of acrylic paint
Acrylic paint is considered one of universal finishing materials for a very long time, and has been successfully used by modern designers in interior decoration. Of course, for many, nevertheless, the dilemma still remains unsolvable by , what to choose - painting or pasting wallpaper. In order for you to finally come to an unequivocal decision, let us consider in more detail the pros and cons.
- Of course, the availability of this material is first of all, which is important when it comes to large areas and scales.
- Cost Effective. One can of standard-sized paint( 1 liter) is on average sufficient to cover a surface of about 7-11 m² in one layer. With proper surface preparation and the use of high-quality paint without the second layer and you can do. Much will depend on the absorbing properties of the coated surface. For consumption reduction, is recommended to cover it with primer.
- Fast drying. On average, one coat of paint dries completely within 1.5-2 hours, this makes it possible to immediately start applying the second layer, which significantly reduces the processing time.
- Easy application of coating. It is enough to read the instructions on the package or watch a few videos on the Internet, and even a person who has never held a roller in his hands will be able to paint the walls.
- The moisture resistance of the makes it possible to significantly save on the bathroom. Agree that it is cheaper to buy even a few cans of high-quality paint than to tile the walls and make a plastic ceiling. By the way, and finish time significantly reduced.
- High resistant to sharp temperature extremes. Thermal stability of is manifested in the range from -30 ° C to + 30 ° C.
- High environmental friendliness of the product, which makes it possible to use it in a residential area without risk to health.
- A properly applied coating can serve from 10 to for 12 years, without losing its aesthetic and technical properties.
- With proper surface preparation, the coating will be smooth and very strong, but at the same time breathable. This is a very important indicator that helps to maintain a favorable indoor climate and has a positive effect on human health.
- Some types of acrylic formulations, after complete drying, create an washable layer, , which is not afraid of wet cleaning and local cleaning of dirt. Thus, you do not have to repaint the entire wall because of one spot. Even if you can not get it, you can always neatly tint. Agree with the wallpaper such a number will not work.
- A simply unimaginable color palette, which makes it possible to combine, make smooth transitions and simply apply artistic painting without any restrictions. Please note that different manufacturers, the same, in your opinion colors, may differ significantly. Due to such differences, there are very a large number of various shades. If it suddenly happens that you don’t find the right color from any supplier, you can always buy white paint and a tinted color scheme, and mix them in the desired proportions on your own. For best results, especially when it comes to gradient staining, give preference to paints of the same brand.
- Painted walls, as opposed to wallpapering, absolutely do not cause interest in pets. In particular, cats who like to sharpen their claws on a soft paper cover.
- When it comes to finishing curved surfaces, , for example, such as arches or plasterboard niches with intricate shapes of internal shelves, the paint simply has no equal. Imagine how long and tediously to cut out countless pieces of wallpaper or other materials, without fail, before making sure to make an exact measurement to cover all these curves. It is very difficult to do such a job qualitatively and from the first time, but the gaps cannot be avoided. Then there is a need to mask them. Whether it's paint! Simply put a layer of putty and you can get to work. The finished result will look no less attractive, but much more accurate.
As you can see, has positive aspects, is really, indisputable and there are a lot of them. But, of course, acrylic paint has disadvantages.
- The most essential is the thorough surface preparation, without which you can not do if you do not want the paint to show absolutely all the flaws of your walls or ceilings. Although, for many other types of finishes, quite stringent requirements are being put forward in the same way, so this is a very controversial issue.
- A thorough approach to selection of coloring composition. We are talking about , according to , the characteristics of the finished covering the characteristics of the room, the in which it will be used.
- With , the wrong choice of an painting tool, such as a hard bristle brush, can leave noticeable streaks and gaps. This can be avoided very simply by using foam rollers.
- Immediately you need to buy the amount of paint, which is enough to paint the entire surface. Then create or pick exactly the same shade will be almost impossible.
Not to say that the shortcomings are very critical, because most of them depends on only on of your skills. Probably, therefore, an increasing number of people prefer this kind of decoration, both inside and outside the premises.
3. Peculiarities of painting walls
We have already said that one of the most important stages is the stage of preparing the surface and bringing it to the desired state. First of all, you need to remove the old coating. This is especially true of small pieces of wallpaper, which are firmly stuck. They will have to soak well and remove with a spatula. Now you need to go with a spatula or special trowel-type nets over the entire surface and make sure that there is nothing superfluous on it. After cleaning the walls, is carefully primed. After it dries, it is necessary to evaluate the straightness of the surface and identify the presence of defects. If there are such, with the help of putty, they need to be leveled and pre-applied leveling layer on the entire surface. After drying, the putty will smooth out the and re-ground to remove dust. If now your wall is perfectly smooth, then a layer of finishing putty is applied on top, after it is completely dried, sand the with a mesh and ground again, and proceed to painting. If you are not satisfied with the result, put the putty on the problem areas again and repeat the process until you get the desired result. For reinforcement basics, some experts recommend to apply a layer of fiberglass before applying finishing putty. This is not a mandatory item, but if you want to additionally reinforce wall, it will only benefit. To apply the itself, you need an medium size flat brush, a small roller and a carriage for pouring liquid. At first, all the corners and joints between the walls and the ceiling are well painted with a brush, then two layers of paint are applied with a roller. Very important point - paint over a brush only once. Do not apply and too many layers of paint. If the coating comes out too thick, it may crack. It is possible to apply the second layer only after full drying of the first. Sometimes the process may form smudges. To avoid this, it is necessary to monitor the amount of material on the tools. Do not pick up too much paint and periodically squeeze the roller, otherwise it will necessarily drip or flow along the wall. The floor in front of the wall is better to cover with old newspapers or film. Sometimes the walls are painted not in one color, but in several. If you want to keep clear lines of the transition, use masking tape for this. Stick it on the wall, separating the border of the first color, and paint the desired fragment. After complete drying, remove the tape and stick a new strip on the colored area, leaving a couple of millimeters not glued, and do not forget to glue the border of the next color. Paint the measured area again and keep repeating the process until you have applied all the desired number of shades. can be applied to painted walls with various patterns of using stencils or simply painted if your skills allow it. It is not recommended to use the same stencil twice if the side that is adjacent to the wall is stained with paint. You risk spoiling the coverage. Better stock the right amount of sheets at once. After complete drying, your walls will long delight you with their smooth, strong surface.
4. Paint the ceiling correctly
The ceiling is the , the first surface to be painted, even if you decide to paint the walls too. And if you have already laid a floor covering, which is very vain, do not forget to cover the surface of with a protective film. Painting the ceiling must begin with a choice of paint. If you think that white is always the same, then you are mistaken. All acrylic paints have three degrees of whiteness : is white, super-white, milky-white. For best results, it is recommended to use the maximum white and bright paint. Estimate the degree of whiteness, if nothing is compared with what, sometimes it is very difficult. Therefore, going to the store, take with you an A4 sheet and ask the seller to open a can of the chosen shade. Compare its color with the sheet, you need the same, or whiter, but not paler, otherwise your ceiling will seem dirty.
It is also worth noting that is preferable to matte paint than glossy. They will help to hide minor flaws and make the surface visually smoother and more attractive. If you decide to make color ceiling, then in this case, it is better to choose gloss. With the use of tinting paints should be careful , because this technique can visually reduce the height of the room. Therefore, this option is suitable for large, high and well-lit rooms. Now let's start surface preparation. It must be properly cleaned from old whitewash, wallpaper or other materials. To remove the whitewash, use a cloth dipped in warm water. Wipe the surface with it until the water in which you rinse it is clear. Do not forget about personal protective equipment - glasses and headgear. The joints of the ceiling with walls must be washed with a brush. Cracks, irregularities or holes must cover up with putty. After drying, clean it with a mesh and prime the surface well for a better connection with the dye. If there are various decorative elements on the surface to be treated, for example, rosettes or baguettes, then you can glue them immediately and paint them with them. So you hide the extra joints and create a single, impeccable composition.
Now mix the paint thoroughly, reaching to the very bottom. For this you can use a construction mixer. Often the composition is too thick and requires the addition of water. Its quantity is always specified on the package. If you open the jar, you saw film on the surface, it is necessary to remove , preventing it from entering the main mass and, all the more, do not mix with it. When small pieces hit, it is better to to strain the mixture, otherwise all these grains will surely end up on your ceiling. Now it is necessary to determine the working tool - brush or roller. If the area is small, then the brush will be enough. If decent - you just get tired, so it is better to choose a roller of suitable size. When working with any tool, do not type a lot of paint so that it runs down the handle. The roller is generally necessary to roll on an empty surface after fully dipping in the paint. What is more convenient for you, so work.
The width of the strip and the layer thickness will depend on the force on the brush. With a weak pressure, you only apply a thin strip of uneven coating, with a strong - each stroke will be visible. Therefore, everything should be in moderation. Before starting , paint over the corners along the perimeter with a brush, it is difficult to get there with a roller. It is necessary to apply paint not from the corner itself, but at a distance of half a meter from it. The first strokes of should apply the required amount, and the subsequent ones, smooth it. Crosshide to shade previous strokes and move away from the window. Apply the second layer of perpendicular to the first one, and then flatten the surface with an empty roller. After applying the first layer, look at the result from different corners of the room and find the gaps. If they are, but the paint is already dry, it is not necessary to paint them separately with a brush, otherwise noticeable stains will form. If these places do not have time to dry, then you are lucky, and you can gently hold on them again with a not too wet roller. The second layer should be slightly thinner than the first, in order to slightly blur the defects of and apply towards the light in order to cover the first one. So your coverage will be uniform. If, after drying the second layer, you again notice the gaps, do not even try to paint them, now you need to gently to clean the with a fine sandpaper for the entire ceiling. If you clean only certain places, then even after re-staining spotting persists. So do not rush, move in small areas and follow one direction of the strokes, and you will definitely succeed.
5. Is it advisable to paint the floor?
Yes, the floors really paint and, moreover, such a coating has excellent wear-resistant properties. And the special matte gloss of the surface will avoid visible scratches. These paints can be used to paint concrete, after having previously cleaned it of various contaminants, greasy stains, dust, and progrunt. wooden floors are polished and treated with wood putty before painting. After drying, it is cleaned and the surface is treated with a deep penetration primer. Paint, penetrating into the cracks, perfectly fills them and contributes to the durability of the surface. The technology of applying paint to the floor is very similar to the previously described process, so you should have no difficulties. The main - do not forget to carefully paint over the corners and baseboards. Be sure to pay attention so that has “for the floor” and “can be washed” on the packaging. For fixing surface layer and prevent it from peeling and spalling, you can open the floor with a transparent varnish after the paint has completely dried. If special paint-mastic acrylic-based, which create a very durable coating that resembles a thin rubber. Such a surface is easy to clean and very durable.
6. Manufacturers of acrylic paint
quality plays a very important role, plays your chosen paint. We will give an example of several manufacturers, who, according to consumers and people involved in the decoration of premises, have proven themselves on the positive side.
- Dulux is a global leader in the manufacture of paints and varnishes, whose main production is located in Amsterdam and the Netherlands. The quality of their products is beyond doubt. The compositions are practically odorless and dry out in a couple of hours. There is a very wide range of , which allows you to choose coatings for any foundation, be it concrete, drywall or plaster. When applying paint in two layers, you will be able to hide minor flaws. And the shelf life in the closed state is about 5 years, which once again confirms the reliability of the products.
- Sniezka - Polish company, about which everyone has heard, probably. Also established itself as a manufacturer of high-quality products. The range is very diverse, and the color palette is quite wide. In addition, the surface coated with paint from this manufacturer will be protected from moisture, but will remain breathable. You can choose the composition at an affordable price for the treatment of any surface.
- Caparol - German manufacturer of high quality paint and varnish products. The company has two representative offices in Tver and in the Moscow region. Some types of coatings from this brand can withstand the intensive loads of the environment, which is typical for the of the northern regions. All formulations have a certificate confirming their environmental safety.
- Finnish company Tikkurila has factories in Russia. The line of these products is environmentally friendly and safe, and their main feature is hypoallergic basis, which is recommended for people suffering from respiratory diseases.
- TEX, a domestic manufacturer that has earned recognition. It is a leader in sales of paint and varnish coating on the markets of Russia. Products are distinguished by reasonable price, variety of items and resistance of finished coating.