Amazing diversity of species of visvadelicate buds, fills the garden with exquisite aroma and gives unforgettable moments of happiness. This beauty is called Levkoy, but many know her as mattiol. Once the plant was grown on the terraces of the royal gardens to enjoy its fragrance. Over time, the flower appeared in the front gardens of ordinary people. Today, the nightly beauty regains its former glory, since fashion, although changeable, still walks in a circle.
Detailed description of a fragrant flower
When flowers are presented to a woman, the first thing she does is bend over and breathe in their scent. To hear the smell of mattiola, simply enter the zone of its habitat. In addition, it has beautiful buds and comes in different shades.
The flowers got their name in honor of the Italian botanist of the XVI century - Pietro Mattioli. Thanks to his efforts, new varieties of daffodils, tulips and hyacinths appeared. The very same word "Levkoy" means a violet, which reminds of the amazing smell of a plant, especially at night.
Culture has the following features:
- abundant bloom;
- graceful view of the bushes;
- original foliage coloring;
- unusual shape of buds;
- variety of colors;
- is an intoxicating and unique scent.
It is for these virtues that the flowers of the flowers, the photos of which are shown below, deserve universal love and recognition. Biologists say that in nature there are more than 400 varieties of night violet. Each of them has its own unique look and characteristics. In general, gardeners distinguish three main types:
- summer( one-year);
- autumn( hybrid);
- winter( two-year).
Summer Mattiola sown in March or April. But it blooms almost the entire season. The autumn hybrid is grown in the same way. His magnificent beauty reaches the first frost. The winter variant is sown in the middle of summer, and they are admired with flowers only next spring.
Read also: How to properly care for sick asparagus?
The left-wing flower is a grassy or semi-shrub crop that grows in height from 29 cm to 80. Its shoots can be with a hairy, soft pile or a glossy character. The leaf plates are oblong lanceolate with jagged edges. The buds are painted in the following colors:
In addition, there are simple and terry buds, which are collected in a brush or spike inflorescences. They appear on the culture in the early summer and bloom until late autumn. At the final stage of the growing season, the plant bears fruits in the form of pods filled with flat seeds.
Interestingly, terry varieties from the left are formed from simple varieties, although they do not produce seeds themselves.
The amazing variety of species of the left
Since gardeners have a huge number of species of annual and perennial mattiola, consider the most popular ones. Botanists divide them into such units:
Levka dwarf varieties grow to only 20 cm. It has small inflorescences and small leafy plates. These include:
- "Snowflake" with white delicate buds slightly similar to roses.
- "Rita Blosey" differs in various shades of the inflorescences collected in a compact pyramidal bush. It can rightly be called "Terry Levka", for its unique appearance.
- Red "Ruby" reminds of the greatness of the precious stone, and the buds are located on the tops of dense peduncles.
- "Sapphire" - is a gorgeous inflorescences in the form of a panicle, which is covered with a variety of blue or blue buds.
- "Pure Gold" variety has erect inflorescences of yellow-orange hue, which stand like lit candles.
Low-growing Levkoy can reach a height of about 35 cm. The flower pleases gardeners for 3.5 months, continuously exuding a fragrant scent. It has a compact bush shape in the form of a small pyramid. The division includes the following varieties:
- "Victoria".This plant has many branches covered with large elongated leaves. On stable peduncles for 2.5 months, you can observe stately buds with a divine smell.
- "Summer".Delicate inflorescences of white color are harmoniously combined with dark green leaves of oblong lanceolate form.
- "Large-flowered".The abundance of terry flower buds on an erect stem is truly a magnificent sight. Such a flower will give not only a lot of positive emotions, but also a dizzying scent at dusk in the country garden.
- "Excellent."The original coloring of elegant buds will be able to decorate the cottage garden throughout the season. Purple, white and pink tones will turn it into an oasis of bliss - a bottomless source of vitality.
Read also: The subtleties of growing one-year-old aster
I especially want to mention the short, low-growing “Caprice”.The culture grows up to 30 cm. It has large double or semi-double buds, which are collected in volume spicate inflorescences. Grayish-green leafy plates are usually lanceolate, which is a wonderful backdrop for bright colors. Grow a plant on home gardens or as a border decoration.
Tall varieties( from 60 to 80 cm) are often used for cutting:
- “Vygonochny”.Scarlet loose inflorescences with delicate petals will decorate a flower bed on the garden plot before the onset of cold weather. A charming aroma will be the hallmark of a country house or apartment.
- "Stambovy".Saturated pink hue inflorescences will not leave indifferent even those who are not interested in flowers. A fragrant smell will remind you of the greatness of the environment.
- "Northern".The peculiarity of this variety is that the buds of the main flower stalk are much larger than those growing on the sides. This is all its charm and originality.
Amazingly beautiful perennials - the flowers of the flowers will fill not only the garden, but also any room where there are people. Consider several types in detail.
In order to keep the plant fresh longer in cutting, it is advisable to uproot it, wash it off the ground, and then put it in a container with water.
Special attention deserves the view - “Levka gray”, which is considered the birthplace of the Mediterranean. The plant grows from 30 to 70 cm in height. It has a rich aroma. It has woody shoots with large dark green leaves of a diamond shape. The plate is both pubescent and glossy. Buds are collected in thick or loose inflorescences from 10 to 60 pieces. The first flowers appear in June, the last - in November. On the territory of the southern regions Levkoy can bloom even in winter.
Since mattioli seeds of this variety can be stored for up to 6 years, the year of planting material should be monitored.
Levka "Royal Mixture"
This plant grows up to 45 cm in height. It has upright flower stalks, on which are fragrant terry flower buds, gathered in heavy brushes.
Read also: A popular element of home interior is the dollar tree
Levkoy "Royal Mix" prefers areas where there is an abundance of sunlight. It grows well on neutral soil. Dislikes long periods of drought, as well as stagnant water. It is grown to decorate home gardens, on balconies in boxes, as a houseplant and cut to decorate the premises.
In order to ensure long-flowering plants, it is necessary to feed, water, protect from weeds and weed in a timely manner.
An attractive variety that is distinguished by terry buds of a large size. They smell good and bloom much longer than other types of mattiola. This short bush left grows up to 35 cm, so it miraculously takes root in containers. As a result, it is used as a decoration near arbors, at benches or on balconies of high-rise buildings. In addition, the flower looks wonderful on the alpine hills and near the curbs. To get an early version of lewkoy "Thumbelina", it is grown with seedlings.
Due to the ability to successfully transfer the cold, it is desirable to plant the plant on an open area in early May.
A low deciduous shrub of this species grows up to 30 cm. Its numerous shoots are abundantly covered with delicate hairs that shine with silver in the light of the morning dawn. The leaves of the sweet-scented leaf are egg-shaped with a serrated rim. The inflorescences are located on the top of a dense shoot, like cute bouquets that one wants to give to someone. The plant is endangered, therefore, requires careful attitude
Interesting about left - video