Currant leaves - a gift of nature, with a wide range of beneficial properties for the internal health of the body and external beauty. This is an affordable raw material for the preparation of therapeutic infusions and decoctions, culinary preparations and cosmetics .The beneficial properties of black currant leaves are recognized by official medicine, and the extracts are used by beauty concerns for the preparation of expensive care products.
- Useful Propertieseach product for the human body is determined by the predominant in their composition of substances, a combination of vitamins and macronutrients.
A record amount of vitamin C( 260 mg%) accumulates during the flowering of the bush in the leaves of the currant. This is 1.5-2 times more than in the fruits of the culture, which is achieved due to the low content of ascorbic acid degrading enzymes. Vitamin C contained in 100 g of the product significantly exceeds the daily requirement of the human body( 90 mg).
Without the participation of vitamin C, collagen and connective tissue cannot form. It provides bone and dental density, elasticity and firmness of the skin. Therefore, the external beauty of our body partially depends on vitamin C.
Organic compound regulates the process of blood clotting, reduces the permeability of the vascular walls and suppresses the development of inflammatory processes. These properties are excellent for the prevention and auxiliary treatment of atherosclerosis, hypertension, vascular pathologies and viral diseases.
Vitamin C is not synthesized in the body, so it must consistently do with food. The organic compound is easily destroyed by mechanical damage and improper heat treatment. Therefore, fresh currant leaves are used whole and put only in boiling water.
The leaves of currant and the content of polyphenolic compounds significant for the human body differ:
- flavonols 2700 mg%;
- free catechins 941 mg%;
- condensed catechins 4414 mg%;
- proanthocyanidins 2174 mg%;
- bioflavonoids 7365 mg%.
These are strong natural antioxidants that inhibit the development of free radicals, unstable oxygen molecules that oxidize and destroy healthy cells. Excessive formation of free radicals disrupts all biochemical processes in the body , contributes to the malignant transformation of connective tissue. Therefore, currant leaves are useful for the diet of people after cancer treatment or with a hereditary predisposition to them.
The use of currant leaves is indisputable for people who smoke, living in areas with a predominance of radiation background and in cities with polluted air. Natural antioxidants resist toxic substances and contribute to their removal from the body.
Currant leaves contain an impressive amount of basic macronutrients:
- magnesium 370 mg%;
- Calcium 327 mg%;
- potassium 178 mg%;
- phosphorus 7.5 mg%;
- sodium 2 mg%.
These minerals are responsible for the strength and growth of bones, the health of muscle mass and the motor function of the body.
The predominance of magnesium and potassium in currant leaves is particularly useful for heart function and the prevention of infarction. These macronutrients strengthen the myocardium( heart muscle), regulate blood flow and restore heart rhythm.In addition to the benefits of currant leaves can bring harm to the body. Herbal component can not be used with increased acidity of the body, acute gastritis and gastric ulcer, hepatitis. In the presence of chronic pathologies, it is important to consult a doctor before use.
Thrombophlebitis is a contraindication to the use of currants in any form. It is impossible to abuse the leaves of black currant , because of them blood clotting may be increased.
Do not take a decoction based on black currant leaves, if gastric acidity is elevated, with an ulcer disease, inflammation in the duodenum. In a large number of drugs can not be taken during pregnancy , breastfeeding, they lead to side effects, various allergic reactions.
Use of black and red currant leaves
Currant leaves can be used all year round. Due to phytoncides in their composition, the useful substances of the plant are preserved practically in their natural form during drying and freezing.
Decoctions and infusions - the benefits and harms of
In addition to the undoubted healing properties of decoctions and infusions of currant leaves, they have an excellent aroma.
With systemic and correct use, they have a high therapeutic effect during prevention and treatment:
- bronchopulmonary diseases;
- inflammatory and catarrhal pathologies;
- cardiovascular disease;
The plant component strengthens the immune system, visual functions, regulates the work of the liver and kidneys. Decoctions and infusions are used for daily cleansing of the skin, make lotions on the problem areas .Such procedures suppress inflammation in the skin cells, a common cause of acne and systemic sepsis of the face.
The anti-inflammatory properties of currant leaves greatly facilitate the manifestation of dermatitis and other skin diseases.
With the help of currant leaves baths are treated:
- all types of dermatitis;
- prickly heat in children;
Currant leaf bath is a great way to nourish skin, nail and hair cells with beneficial substances. This is a good alternative for many spa treatments for women.
Tea Currant leaf tea is a good supplement to the daily diet. The drink has tonic and tonic properties. This is a worthy replacement for more aggressive tea and coffee drinks.
. The diuretic properties of tea complement the complex treatment:
- of renal pathologies( cystitis, pyelonephritis)
- gout( uric acid withdrawal);
Especially useful tea for older people .At this time in the body there are significant metabolic disorders, blood circulation and the nervous system. The structures of the heart wear out and require increased support from the nutrients from food.Currant leaf tea is a source of significant macronutrients and vitamins, the soft effect of which does not disrupt the body’s natural function. The drink has no age restrictions, will be useful for children and adults.
Recipes for Medicinal and Cosmetic Products
Currant leaves have been practiced for a long time, and there is a constant study of the beneficial properties of the herbal component. Therefore, today , we can use the best recipes of medicinal and cosmetic products from currant leaves.
- Decoction .For the preparation of a remedy, dry and chopped leaves( 4 tbsp. L) are placed in boiling water( 1 l) and kept in a water bath for 30 minutes. Filter and cool. Take 200 ml 3 times a day.
- Infusion .Dry raw materials( 5 tbsp. L.) Fall asleep in a thermos and pour boiling water( 1 l).Insist 2-3 hours, filter and cool. Take 100 ml 3-4 times a day. With the help of this make lotions during inflammation of acne. To this end, a piece of gauze is moistened in a medical device and applied to problem areas for 15 minutes.
- Medical Bath .To prepare the bath, you can use and branches of the plant. To do this, 1 kg of raw material is poured with 10 liters of water and boiled for 30 minutes. After that, cover the dishes with a lid and insist 1 hour, filter and add to the bath. The duration of the procedure is 25 minutes, the recommended frequency is 2 times a week.
- Tea .In the summer it is better to brew tea from fresh leaves of currant or raspberry. To do this, the leaves( 5-6 pcs.) Put in boiling water( 250 ml), hold 1 minute on the fire and leave for 2-3 minutes. To improve the taste add a spoonful of honey. Tea can be brewed with the addition of mint, in which case you get a good sedative that promotes healthy sleep.
Currant leaves are used not only for medicinal and cosmetic purposes. The extraordinary flavor makes them an excellent addition to salads and hot dishes. Leaves are also irreplaceable when preserving vegetables. The high content of phytoncides in their composition protects products from decay during long-term storage.
- Compress antiseptic .The treatment procedure is recommended for owners of oily skin prone to the formation of acne. Dried leaves of currant( 20 g), chamomile flowers( 30 g), sea-buckthorn fruits( 50 g) are poured with boiling water( 1 l) and exposed to a water bath for 20 minutes. Cool and filter. The gauze fabric moistened in broth is applied to the face for 10-15 minutes. The recommended course of treatment is 5 days.
- Face Mask .Crushed fresh leaves( 6 pieces) and yogurt( 150 ml) are thoroughly mixed and squeezed through gauze fabric. The nutrient mixture is applied to the face and incubated for 20 minutes. In winter, as a component, you can use the infusion of dry raw materials. The mask brightens pigments, evens the complexion, has a softening effect.
Collection and storage of
Currant leaves will be useful only when properly prepared. Collect leaves during the flowering of currants, when the content of vitamins and macronutrients reaches a maximum. Collection is carried out with a minimum humidity of the environment. .
To do this, choose a day without precipitation, a period between 10-12 hours, when the morning dew dries out. Cut off the whole leaves of young shoots without signs of disease. Dry on the surface of the fabric in a dry and ventilated area without access to sunlight .
Store the product in tight cloth bags or glass jars, closed with a lid. Useful properties of raw materials are stored for 2-3 years. .
Despite the enormous potential of medicinal and beneficial to the human body properties, currant leaves are undeservedly pushed towards .This can be explained by the easy availability of raw materials and the lack of complete information about the amazing plant component. Therefore, it is important to look closely at the modest plants around us, whose names are often mentioned in the composition of expensive creams and medicines.