Potato Colombo is quite a popular variety used both in horticulture and for planting over large areas. Differs in good transportability, keeping quality and excellent taste of .The characteristics of this variety and cultivation features can be found below.
In order to pick up for yourself the required variety for cultivation on your own private plot of , you need to familiarize yourself with it and not only withtuna qualities, but also with the rules of its cultivation.
Indicator Description Peel Rather thin with amber color. Eyes Small 0.2 mm. Flesh It has a cream color. Form Elongated-oval. Starch 12-14%. The average weight of a tuber 18-130 g.(depends on the number of tubers in the bush) Shrub Upright, spreading. Its height is 55 cm. Flowers White with a lilac shade.When frying, the slices do not fall apart and retain their shape.
Characteristics of varieties from Finland
Potatoes for table use and are suitable for preparing any dishes in the home kitchen. It has an early ripening, , the first potato can be started to dig already after 45 days after planting .A fully grown potato will be ready for digging for 65 days. Maturation can be judged by its bush, which by this time is completely dry. The harvest from one square meter will be almost 5 kg.This variety is produced in huge quantities in Finland, and this mistakenly affects the fact that this country is considered its homeland. In fact, it was produced in Holland, and he is a sort of Dutch selection.
For what region of Russia is it intended
This variety is zoned for cultivation in such regions of Russia :
- Black Soil Region;
- North Caucasus;
- Volgo-Vyatsky district;
- Northwest region;
- Central District.
According to general reviews, gardeners Colombo has high marks on such properties :
- Has, above all, good delicate taste and does not boil soft;
- has an attractive appearance of tubers, which has a positive effect on its sale;
- Early Maturity - there are areas that receive two harvests each;
- Absolutely is unpretentious in the care of for their plantings;
- Resistant to dry periods ;
- Large yield ;
- Resistance to various diseases .
There is only one drawback of this variety - its poor keeping quality. He needs special storage areas, as it is stored in a usual basement for only half a year .That is, for human consumption, it will remain until the beginning of spring, but for landing it is difficult to keep planting material in a poorly prepared basement.With such qualities, potatoes are in great demand.
Cultivation of potatoes
To get a good harvest, it is worth exploring the rules of its cultivation.
The basic rules that must be adhered to when growing :
- First of all, chooses a sunny site and dredges, at the same time, humus is introduced and weed-free.
- Depending on the quality of the soil in the area, the method that is suitable for growing potatoes is selected. If the site is closely located groundwater , then the best method of planting is planting it in ridges 40 cm high. With such a planting it will dry out better and there will be no rot on the potato tubers.
- Having decided on the method of planting, the germinated tubers are laid in prepared holes with a depth of 7 cm .according to the scheme 35x80 cm.
- If the tuber is larger than 5 cm , its diameter is divided into parts so that each has a sprout and pulp. This part should be dried for 5 days, so as not to cause it to rot after landing in the ground.
It is necessary to follow general rules when planting potatoes to get a good harvest.
- 250 gr is added to each well of , which will serve as potash fertilizer to increase the yield.
- After the emergence of shoots, they are tucked three times to grow more tubers.
Features of cultivation
A good feature of this variety is that in the southern regions of Russia you can get 2 potato harvests. For the second harvest, the tubers are planted in August , and the crop is harvested in October.In the second crop, planting potatoes is almost never affected by pests.
maintenance rules When growing sprouting potatoes to a height of 15 cm , the first hilling of the sprouts is carried out. It is also worthwhile to carry out weeding from weeds that clog potato tops. Hilling increases ground reeling around roots for increased tuberization.
Since the tubers grow well only in slightly damp earth, it is best to irrigate in hot weather once a week. Watering the furrows will be faster and better. They are obtained by hilling potatoes and go along the line of planted tubers. After watering, it is necessary to make the appropriate fertilizer and remove weeds. After all these manipulations, in order to prevent the earth from being crusted, it is necessary to loosen the soil, so that oxygen goes to the root system of potatoes.It is necessary to do timely watering, fertilizing and loosening, as this serves as the basis for obtaining an increased yield.
Diseases and pests
It is distinguished by its high resistance to potato cancer, to the golden nematode, and to the scab originating on potatoes.
Disease Maximum 9 points Scab common 6.5 points. Late blight
- 4 points - tops;
- 6 points - tubers.
Drought tolerance 5 points.hassle-free;.If the potato is planted on one weave, then it can be harvested by hand, at the same time destroying the eggs on the back of the leaf plate. If this is a commercial landing, the Colorado potato beetle is destroyed with the help of various fungicides sold in specialized garden centers.Planted potatoes should be inspected periodically and the Colorado potato beetle periodically destroyed.
By purchasing this variety, you can be sure that you get a good harvest of tasty potatoes. The main thing is to take care of the planted potatoes, and he will thank the gardener with the quantity and quality of the crop.