The content of the article:
Raspberry varieties of Hercules are increasingly found on garden plots, This is a unique plant that gives delicious fruits throughout the season. To please your family with fragrant berries, you need to study the description of the raspberry variety Hercules and make a choice.
Brief description of the raspberry variety Hercules
This is a remontant species, which was bred by breeders in the Bryansk region. This plant is perfectly suitable for growing on the territory of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. Raspberries Hercules prefers light soil with a fertile upper ball. Has a high grade of fertility. Due to this, it is grown not only in garden areas, but also for industrial purposes.
The taste and aroma of berries is affected by soil composition and climatic conditions.
Feature of the variety:
- The bushes grow up to two meters high. Because of such parameters, raspberry Hercules is called a tree. Stems are powerful, a lot of shoots leave them.
- The branches are abundantly covered with spines, which are bent downwards.
- The color of the young shoots is green. Each year their shade changes. The bushes, which have more than a year, twigs acquire a purple tone, and by the end of the season they are covered with a silvery coating.
- Fruits are located on the upper half of the bush.
- Ripe berries have a ruby tint. The shape of the fruit is conical. They are located under foliage plates, which hides them from human eyes.
- With proper care, the weight of the berry is about 6 grams.
- The peculiarity of this variety is the taste of raspberry. Ripe fruit is juicy with a sweet and sour taste, fragrant.
- The leaves have a rich green color. Plates are distinguished by curved margins and weak wrinkling.
- Ripe berries are able to maintain their appearance and taste in fresh form for two days.
As for harvesting, it should be carried out exclusively in dry, sunny weather. This will preserve the quality and taste of berries. Also it should be taken into account that they are very delicate and fragile. Therefore, so that the raspberries are not deformed, the container for its collection should be taken small and fairly wide.
Raspberry variety Hercules is a winter-hardy and drought-resistant species. But, despite this, it needs shelter, especially in the snowless winter.
Advantages and disadvantages of plants
Raspberry Heracles has many advantages. Thanks to them, the plant is in great demand among summer residents.
The main advantages:
- strong fruiting, which lasts until the onset of frost;
- from one bush it is possible to collect about three kilograms of berries per season;
- has good resistance to many diseases;
- can be used both for consumption in raw form, and for various processing;
- well tolerates transportation for long distances.
Like all other varieties, Hercules has its minuses. One of these is poor shoot formation. The drawbacks include the presence of spines. When harvesting it is recommended to wear gloves, since there is a high probability of injuring your hands.
With the correct planting and care for Hercules raspberries, harvesting can be carried out in the second half of June.
A relative disadvantage of this variety is the extended period of fruit formation. This is due to the fact that in some areas because of the onset of early winter raspberries do not have time to catch up. But to still get a harvest, many cut off twigs with green berries and put them in a vase of water. After some time, raspberry starts to turn red and will acquire its natural flavor and taste.
Planting a plant
Many things depend on the correctness of this procedure. In general, planting raspberries Hercules does not differ from other varieties. When buying seedlings, special attention should be paid to the root system. They should be rozlozhistymi and not have rot and other damage.
In order to raspberry well started, buy it better in the early spring. It is at this time that the plant leaves the stage of rest, having much energy for active development.
Planting of raspberries is best done on sites that are located on the south side of the building.
Stages of the procedure:
- Site selection. The plant should be planted in a territory that is well illuminated by the sun. The site must be well protected from drafts. It is allowed to plant raspberries on the territory that is in the shade only in the morning. If this is not observed, then the culture will not give the desired harvest.
- Formation of trenches. The planting of raspberries should be done in pre-made grooves. Their value should be within 50 centimeters. The length of the trench should be determined independently. It directly depends on the number of seedlings. Distances between the bush should be about a meter, and at least two in width. These indicators are important, as grown plants are able to grow and branch. If they do not have enough space, this will affect the yield.
- Fertilizer. To raspberries quickly began, it is necessary to put in each dimple five tea-beds of superphosphate, a little sand and wood ash. All components are mixed and evenly distributed at the bottom of the trench.Then pour water to form a mud mash.
- Landing. Before you put the plants in the groove, you need to thoroughly spread the roots. Do this with hands and very carefully. Then immerse the seedlings in the soil and fill them with soil. It is important to ensure that the plant is as vertically as possible. Ground around the stem and pour 5 liters of clean water.
To see if the seedlings have started, it will be possible in two weeks. If everything went well, then along the edge of the bushes it will be necessary to make fences so that the seedlings do not bend and break.
To raspberry was healthy, it is enough to adhere to the correct watering, loosening the soil. Also do not forget about fertilizing.
This variety of raspberries is resistant to rot. The bushes perfectly cope with the waterlogged soil.
Also important is the pruning of raspberries. The main problem of the absence of a plentiful harvest is considered to be thickened bushes. Therefore, to prevent this, it is recommended to periodically cut off shoots. Remove twigs that are thinner than the pencil. They will not be able to harvest and at the same time harm the development of fertile shoots.
In order to repair patch raspberry Hercules was as in the photo, you should use one of the 4 methods of trimming:
- Standard. It is held only in the spring. For this it is necessary to remove all shoots, leaving no more than 30 centimeters from each. If everything is done correctly, the malinka will release young twigs, which at the beginning of the season will give 30% of the crop, and at the end - 70%.
- To the root. Such a cut must be carried out before the onset of frost. This should be done somewhere 14 days before the first frosts. Using the pruning "under the root" the harvest will be more abundant, but the first berries will appear somewhat later than with the standard one.
- Double pruning of bushes. The first procedure should be carried out after the ovary begins to form. This period falls on the middle of May. If the shoots are removed on time, then the second harvest will exceed the expected one.
- Removal of the tops. Cut the bushes in this way in autumn. Top shoots should be removed by 40 centimeters. In this case, the initial yield will be about 60% of the total.
Conduct similar procedures should be only a sharp knife. You can also do this with a pruner. If you cut off other devices, then there is an opportunity to harm shoots, and they will begin to lose their abilities.
It should also be noted that if you trim in the fall, cover the bushes for the winter is optional. Especially it concerns those plants around which mulch is laid.
Irrigation is the key to a quality harvest
The abundance of the raspberry harvest of Hercules depends not only on planting, but also on the care that provides for proper watering.
Irrigation of bushes should begin in the second half of May. The procedure should be carried out twice a month. Watering should last until the end of October. To the root system is well saturated with water, you need to make grooves near the stem. They should be at a distance of 40 centimeters from each other, and their depth - about 10 centimeters. After the grooves are made, they are fed with water. On each bush should be used from three to four buckets of liquid. You need to do this early in the morning or late in the evening. This feature of watering is necessary to ensure that the leaves do not get burned in the event of liquid entering the plates.
To improve the safety of the crop and ensure good transportation, when tearing berries, do not remove the stem.
Also do not forget about loosening.Thanks to good penetration of air to the roots, the bush will receive the right amount of vitamins. Fluid soil around the stems should be 5 to 6 times a season. The first procedure should be carried out in the early spring, before the buds dissolve. The next weeding is recommended to be done immediately after the formation of a crust or germination of weeds. The depth of loosening between ryadochkami should be within 15 centimeters, in the root system - 7 cm.
An important procedure in caring for raspberries is mulching. Thanks to him, you can reduce the number of propoloks, and also maintain the optimum percentage of humidity. For this purpose it is recommended to use sawdust, compost, humus or peat. The thickness of the mulch should be within 5 centimeters. It must be laid at the base of the bush. This procedure should be done once a season. Until next spring the material has time to rot, which requires its renewal.
Raspberry Heracles is resistant to most diseases. It is rarely affected by insects, but despite this, it is susceptible to viruses.
The main diseases of this variety:
- Rust. The outer part of deciduous plates is covered with yellow specks. Also, in the presence of this problem, the color of the stems changes. They are covered with small sores, which have a gray tinge. To cure raspberries from rust, it will be necessary to treat the bush with 1% solution of Bordeaux liquid. A good prevention of this disease is the systematic loosening of the soil. Also helps to prevent the development of rust mulching.
- Mosaic. This disease also affects the foliage plates. They not only deform, but also change their shade. The middle part becomes darker than the edges. If you do nothing, the stems will thin out, and the fruits will lose their taste. Cure a bush from this disease is almost impossible. In case of appearance of such symptoms, the affected shoots should be removed as soon as possible.
- Septoria. Plants that are affected by this infection are distinguished by leaves with round spots of brown tones. After a while, they acquire a purple color. Septoria is very dangerous, as it affects not only the leaves, but also the kidneys. At its first manifestations, the bushes need to be sprayed,% copper chloride. To lead to this problem can be an excess of fertilizers containing a large amount of nitrogen.
An excessive number of shoots is also a frequent cause of poor fruit formation. This problem is called sprouting. Sometimes on one bush can grow up to 200 branches. Often they are all very thin and can not yield. To get rid of this problem, the bush needs to be cut down and burned. This is the only effective method. Removal of the plant will prevent the spread of the virus to other crops.
Observing the rules of planting and caring for the patchwork Hercules, you can get a high-quality and abundant harvest. The berries of this variety will have a rich flavor and incredible taste that will not leave anyone indifferent.