What is a MDF panel
MDF panel is a building material for decoration and belongs to the economy class. In Russia, this building material has recently been used in relation to other countries, and it has already gained great popularity.
- Definition ↓
- Functions ↓
- Advantages and disadvantages of panels ↓
- Necessary tools for working with panels ↓
- Methods of fixing MDF panels to the wall ↓
- Installation of MDF panels to the wall ↓
- Frame mounting ↓
- Glue mounting ↓
- Detailed step by step instructions ↓
- Guidelines for fixing panels to the wall correctly ↓
- Tips / tricks / possible mistakes ↓
MDF materials are available in two types: with a smooth and embossed surface. To achieve a smooth surface, a laminating film is applied to the part. To make a relief surface, you must first cut out the necessary pattern, and then cover the surface with varnish to protect the product. MDF is subdivided into rack elements, tile materials and sheet products in size.
MDF panel - This is a plate having a fiber-wood structure and made from waste wood production. They are laminated with a film that improves the aesthetic and functional qualities of the product.
The main function of this material is considered a decorative function. Due to its strength, various decorative elements can be mounted on it. The functions of the finishing material include soundproof and heat-holding properties. Used for the reconstruction of walls and ceilings. They are used both for decorating apartments and houses, as well as for office buildings and office premises.
Advantages and disadvantages of panels
- Moisture resistance. If necessary, wash with warm water and detergents.
- Strength. It withstands heavy loads and is much stronger than chipboard, which allows the material to lead the consumer market.
- Price. They have a low cost, which significantly increases demand compared to similar materials.
- Appearance. They allow not to limit creative fantasies and bring them to life. They have an attractive appearance.
- Poor thermal conductivity. They will not allow heat to pass through them, due to what happens wall insulation.
- Durability. With proper care they will last for many years.
- Fungus and mold do not appear on the panels.
- Installation. Fast and easy to attach to the surface, which saves a lot of time.
- Treatment. Easy to cut on the machine.
- Weight. Heavy enough, which complicates the transportation.
- Dust. When working, dust from this material is inevitable, which is harmful if it enters the respiratory tract.
- Holes. The need for drilling holes in the material.
- Resins In the manufacture of gluing use resins that can emit harmful substances.
Necessary tools for working with panels
To work with MDF panels, you may need standard installation tools:
- Joiner's tools, screwdriver, hammer, pliers.
- Reiki or profile.
- Construction glue.
- Skirting boards and corners.
Methods of fixing MDF panels to the wall
In order to attach the casing to the wall, two main methods are used: frame and adhesive.
Frame reception. This method involves the construction of a frame for attaching the MDF panels themselves to it. The method resembles gypsum plasterboard.
Glue technique. The easiest and fastest way to install this building material. Significantly reduced operating time due to the fact that you do not need to build a metal or wooden frame. This method involves simply sticking to a wall. The panels are interconnected using the spike groove technology.
Installation of MDF panels to the wall
The frame is installed so that the direction of the profiles is horizontal. Using a level, a plane is drawn for mounting the frame, after which guide profiles are installed. Vertical profiles are installed on the wall at a distance of three meters, which is its standard length.
Between them are installed horizontal profiles at a distance of half a meter. The profiles are interconnected using special crabs, and are attached to the wall with special brackets. The main work is the installation of the frame. Installation of the products themselves is straightforward and anyone can handle it. Attach them with clamps (kleimers).
The product has a special groove for the kleimer, which provides reliable fastening. However, it does not interfere with the connection of products among themselves. It must be remembered that the lowest profile should be on the floor for reliable fixing of skirting boards.
Before starting work, it is necessary to determine what glue is needed. The glue should have the following properties:
- Plasticity, even after drying. Such building materials have the ability to deform from a strong temperature drop and high humidity. Therefore, the glue should compensate for this.
- Density. The glue should be thick enough, since the surfaces on which the panels are mounted are not always smooth. It should be possible to apply glue in different layers.
For installation in this way it is necessary, first of all, to clean the walls of dust and dirt. For this, the best option is to ground them. After drying the primer, it was the turn of gluing itself. Glue in large drops is applied in a checkerboard pattern. Next, press the casing, and then tear it off. Thus, she does not come off under her weight.
After separation, five minutes should pass, and then finally stick. Gluing the panels is not difficult, which cannot be said about its cutting. It must be trimmed carefully, because the appearance of the room will depend on this.
Installation features for both methods:
- Angles. It must be remembered that the skin does not bend. In order to sheathe a corner, it will be necessary to cut the panel. The trimmed edges are closed with a special insert, which is used for external and internal corners.
- The very first panel is installed in level so that there are no distortions, and it is well fixed. Every meter or two must be checked with a vertical or laser level.
Detailed step by step instructions
- It is necessary to select the MDF panels that are suitable in color and manufacturer.
- How will the MDF panels be attached to the wall?
- The choice of glue - for glue mounting method. Profile selection - for frame mounting method.
- Frame construction (for the frame method).
- Bonding or installation.
- Weathering the glue for five minutes (for the glue method).
- Finishing fastening (for glue method).
- Installing a special insert for closing corners.
Guidelines for fixing panels to the wall correctly
- We take one detail of the casing and measure it. If necessary, carefully cut off the excess. Now you need to attach the panel to the wall and check whether the cut was done correctly. We screw with screws the first panel, installed according to the level (the screws should be in places that will subsequently be hidden). We apply glue by a drop method in a checkerboard pattern. Press firmly against the wall and immediately tear it off. It is necessary that the glue dry for about five minutes. Again we lean against the wall, but this time we glue it permanently.
- Grounding the walls. Next, you need to put the frame. We insert kleimers into special grooves. We lean the panel to the frame and fasten the clamp. For all types of finishing work, you must have a level on hand. The panels should stand clearly on it.
Tips / tricks / possible mistakes
If it is customary to use wooden instead of a metal frame, then it is necessary to treat it with a special refractory mortar.
Experts recommend leaving the material in the room for several days before installation to prevent gaps between the parts.
It is recommended to install MDF panels at a temperature below that which will be in the room constantly. As the temperature rises, the material begins to expand and adheres more tightly to each other.
In order to save time, you can apply glue to several parts at once.
The main mistake during the work is the neglect of the level. You can, of course, not use it at all, but this will entail irregularities that will be very striking.
The next common mistake is the wrong selection of glue. This is fraught with peeling and deformation of the skin.
If you carefully follow the instructions, then there will be no problems with wall cladding with MDF panels.