- Question 1. What is a "liquid wallpaper how do they look and why are they called that?
- Question 2. What is the essence? What are the pros and cons?
- Question 3. How to avoid the appearance of yellow spots? And how do I delete them if they already appeared?
- Question 4. How to clean the wallpaper?
- Question 5. Which manufacturer to choose?
In the transfer "School of repair" on TNT often liquid wallpaper is used for finishing the walls of children's rooms and bedrooms. We do not doubt that for interiors of living quarters, this is really a good solution, but does it withstand the extremely difficult conditions of the kitchen? Let's figure it out with an optional guide in questions and answers.
Question 1. What is a "liquid wallpaper how do they look and why are they called that?
Silk plaster or so-called. "Liquid wallpaper" is an amazing cover that looks like wallpaper, decorative plaster, and paintwork. However, on the wall it looks like a stone, but if you look closer, it does remind you of a knocked-down colored felt. The secret of such a finish of "wallpaper" and a cunning name lies in the composition and technology of application. They consist of: a binding part, fibers of cellulose, cotton and / or silk, dye and decorative additives in the form of colored flocks, marble or quartz chips or spangles of mica. The mixture is sold in bags in a dry form, but for application on the wall it is diluted with water, and then distributed on the wall almost like plaster.
Question 2. What is the essence? What are the pros and cons?
- The uniqueness of liquid wallpaper is that you can restore them yourself in just 5 minutes with the help of one water. To do this, you just need to wet the spoiled fragment of the cover, scrape it with a knife as shown in the photo below and make a patch from the pre-mixed mixture. The soaked "cake" will only be leveled with a spatula and the wall will again be in order.
But this is not their only plus,Here are 12 more arguments for:.
- Unlike conventional wallpaper, liquid does not absorb odors and does not attract dust, which is especially true for the kitchen;
- The composition of silk plaster is hypoallergenic and environmentally friendly (including adhesive glue and water-based dyes);
- The coating is breathable;
- "Wallpapers" are beautiful in appearance. You can choose an option from 100 different colors and textures, as well as create wall art compositions, solid panels or borders as in the following photos. If desired, they can be painted;
- Covering is seamless, which also distinguishes it from wallpaper, in which seams are a drawback;
- Do not require perfectly smooth walls and can themselves trim them, as well as fill small cracks;
- Application does not require skills, the mixture can fill small cracks (for example, near the platbands, windows, sockets, etc.), and also to trim the rounded surfaces, for example, the arch. All work is done without dust, dirt and smells with a minimum of tools;
- Not toxic in combustion;
- Slightly increase heat and sound insulation;
- Ideal for finishing premises in new buildings, because they do not crack due to their elasticity due to shrinkage of the building;
- They are relatively inexpensive;
- They serve about 10 years;
- Light-resistant, as the fibers are colored in mass.
Unfortunately,the disadvantages of liquid wallpaper are very significant:
- The main argument against the application in the kitchen is that they are afraid of water and do not allow wet cleaning;
- On the already finished wall, yellow spots and stains may appear. This is due to the fact that the coating has a water base and, in case there are nails in the wall or hides iron fittings, as well as if its surface experienced a variety of treatments, liquid wallpaper can be covered stains. However, unpleasant surprises can be avoided, as it is done - we will tell below;
- "Patchwork" after restoration can be slightly noticeable, especially if they are large;
- Although the technology of work is really available to everyone, but to evenly distribute the mixture on the wall, you have to practice and adjust to keep the spatula at the right angle and pressure. In addition, they are difficult to apply to hard-to-reach areas, for example, behind the radiator;
- Another disadvantage is that the material consumption can be much larger than the one declared on the packaging because of too liquid / thick consistency, too smooth or uneven wall.
Conclusion:can I choose a liquid wallpaper for wall or ceiling decoration in the kitchen? In our opinion, yes, perhaps, but only not near the sink, stove and cooking area. Ideally, "wallpaper" is to decorate only one wall, for example, in the dining area. The second option is to paste them on all walls, but to cover with matte acrylic lacquer on a water basis (completely or partially). However, in this case you will lose the main bonus of silk plaster - the possibility of local repair.
Question 3. How to avoid the appearance of yellow spots? And how do I delete them if they already appeared?
That yellow maculae have not appeared, it is necessary to prepare well a wall:
- Remove all old trim, be sure to pull out all the nails, if any. If necessary, cover the walls with an antiseptic primer.
- Putty, wait until the putty completely dries.
- Prime the wall 2-3 times with a special priming coat "Water Drain" (from Silk Plaster) according to the principle of alternation: 1 time - vertically, 2 times - horizontally. Each layer needs to be allowed to dry for at least 3 hours.
- And finally, we paint the wall with white water-dispersion paint in 2-3 layers, also alternating the horizontal and vertical method of staining.
Advice: apply silk plaster followed by a plastic, rather than an iron spatula, to avoid oxidation.
If the yellow divorces already appeared, then on the wall you just need to spray with a spray of a solution of "Belizna" and water, diluted in the ratio:
- : or: - for white wallpaper;
- : - for color.
Tip: First, this method is best tested on a single section of the wall.
Question 4. How to clean the wallpaper?
Only dry cleaning is allowed 1-2 times, for example, with a vacuum cleaner. If the liquid wallpaper is varnished, then they can be wiped with a slightly damp rag without cleaning agents and abrasives.
Question 5. Which manufacturer to choose?
Unfortunately, the producers of the original material are quite few.
- The Russian brand Silk Plaster (the one used in the "School of Repair") provides a choice of many different designs and colors at a relatively low price. 1 sq. M. m ready finish economy class "Master" costs from 39 rubles. That is 195 rubles. for one package of a mixture. The most expensive coating from Silk Plaster costs 505 rubles. / 1 square. m (1760 rubles. for one package weighing 1 kg).
- Plaster of approximately the same quality and design produced by the factory Bayramyx (Turkey) in the collection of Silkcoat and Koza. The minimum price is 1990 rubles. for one package of a mixture by weight, kg.
- For interior design of premium cuisine, you should choose the "wallpaper" of French brands. For example, Sakadeco coating from Senideco with cotton or Fibres de Cotex (pictured below) from RMD.
- . Choose wallpaper and background for the kitchen by all rules.
- . Wall decoration in the kitchen with vinyl wallpaper - 6 steps from buying to sticking.
- . Wall-papers for kitchen - receptions and ideas of registration.
- . We create a unique design in the kitchen - we correctly combine the wallpaper.
- . Flizeline wallpaper in the kitchen: customer reference and step by step instructions for gluing.