- Variations and design of arch
- How to make an arched hole with your own hands for 7 steps from the GKL
- How to make an arch with the help of a "padded" interior arch with a rectangular vault
Open apertures instead of doors are a great way to visually enlarge a small kitchen, combining it with a hallway / living room / balcony, while preserving the separation of zones. To ennoble the appearance of the U-shaped opening, you can make it arch.
Attention: the majority of variants of re-planning with a change in the size or configuration of openings need to be coordinated in the bodies of housing supervision.
Variations and design of arch
The arch between the kitchen and the living room / hallway can be very different in form - from simple round to complex hyperbolic in the oriental style. But the most universal and widespread types of arches are the following:
Classical Romanesque, when the arch arc smoothly passes into the walls of the aperture
This form fits well into narrow and small passages, so it is more often used for redevelopment kitchens in the Khrushchev and other typical houses and in those cases when the arch is made on the basis of the existing door opening.
As you can see, arched openings will be appropriate not only in classical interiors, but also in modern ones. But examples of wide Roman arches instead of doors in the interior of the kitchen:
English (arched), when the arch has angles at the base of the arc
This option is more suitable for wide openings and is often supplemented with additional wall decor. For narrow niches, the arch's arch form instead of the door is also good, as it will visually make it wider. Examples of design kitchens with the arch arch look in the next selection of photos (leaf).
Arched opening in the form of a half-ellipse, when the arc is almost flattened from above
This form is also suitable for the design of both small and wide openings. Visually makes the opening wider.
The opening in the form of a trapezium is much easier to make by oneself than a round arch, and it is also more suitable for kitchen design in country style.
The design of the arch depends not only on the shape, but also on its decoration and frame.
- For small kitchens (for example, in the same hruschevkah), the vault should be left without framing and confined only to finishing with wallpaper or plaster. The photo below shows an example of a laconic design of the archway in the interior of small kitchens.
- If you still decided to make the arch more interesting, then try to avoid the contrasting frame, so as not to "overload" the kitchen and the living room / hallway / dining room. It is much better to look the finish in the tone of the walls as shown in the following photo.
- If the opening is wide, then in the choice of the design of the arch you are limited only by the general style of the interior. You can decorate the arch not only with ready-made or custom-made arched moldings, but also with artificial / natural brick, stone, mosaic, pilasters, columns.
But the photo-examples of the design of arches with glazing, which are made to order.
How to make an arched hole with your own hands for 7 steps from the GKL
To make an arches of plasterboard with your own hands, you will need 1-2 days off and the following materials.
- Screwdriver or screwdriver;
- Scissors / hacksaw for metal or Bulgarian - will be needed to give the profiles a round shape;
- Electric jigsaw or hacksaw - are needed for cutting gypsum board;
- Needle roller;
- Kapron cord / wooden ruler and pencil or engineering compass - for drawing a template of the arch of the correct form on the principle of a compass.
- GKL 1, mm - for two sides of the arch shell;
- The strip of arch GKL (, mm) or usual (1, mm or 9 mm) - for the end of the arch;
- Metal starting profiles UD27 and, if necessary, strengthen the arch body profile CD 60;
- Camorezy with dowels;
- All that is needed for plastering: serpian, finishing plaster coat, primer, etc.
To make the arch do not seem to you to be anything complicated, we broke the whole process into 7 steps.
- Carefully dismantle the old door and its box. If necessary, increase the height / width of the opening with a manual diamond saw or wall saw if the thickness of the partition is thicker than 20 cm.
- To the doorway we mount the frame from the profiles with the help of screws and anchor dowels (go in the kit). To do this, first the profile (UD 27) with a metal knife is cut into three parts of the following sizes: 1 part = opening width, 2 parts = arch height. Long profile is fixed to the "ceiling" of the niche, and short ones are to the walls as shown in the photo. Then we repeat the same actions for the other side.
- Profiles should be mounted with an indent from the edge of the wall / ceiling equal to the thickness of the GCR;
- Mounting step - 10 cm.
- We begin to make the case of the arch of gypsum board. To do this, you need to draw a full-size template on the paper and then cut the arch body on it. The second way is to first cut out the rectangle of the desired width and height from the GCR, and then draw an arc directly along it according to the circular principle - using a pencil and cord / strap as shown in the photo below. Surplus cut off and the resulting detail is outlined as a template on the second sheet of drywall. Two halves of the vault are ready.
Drawing an arc by the circular principle
- The easiest way is to cut out the GCR with an electric jigsaw, but if it's not there - a hacksaw or saw on the plasterboard will help.
Arch for GKL arches
- Now it's time to mount the two parts of the arch to the frame with the help of screws, sinking them flush (in level) with gypsum boards in 10 cm steps.
- After installation, make sure that both parts are level and correspond to each other in level. If necessary, their levels can be equalized using a plane for drywall.
- Next, we need to make and fix the end strip. The butt will be cut later, but for now we will make the basis for its installation from the same profiles. To do this, they need to be made flexible so that they can take the form of an arc. We measure the necessary length of the guides, and then cut their edges with a step of 2-5 cm, depending on the steepness of the bend.
Preparing a profile for fastening to an arch
Now we screw the resulting arched profiles from the inside to the body of the arch.
- In case the arch is deep (more than 60 cm), at this stage it is necessary to additionally install jumpers inside it, so that the arch turns out to be strong and rigid. Jumpers can be made from the rack profile of CD-60 and even "bars" of polystyrene foam;
- If the pier walls are too narrow, then the end strip is fixed with glue.
- Finally, cut out the end strip of the desired length and width.
- If you bought a flexible arched gypsum board, then you just need to fix it to the profiles, gently right during the installation giving it the right bend;
- The usual drywall should be treated: at first it is easy to walk with a needle roller on the marked side (!) Along the entire length of the strip, evenly soak the water with a brush or sponge, and then put the strip so that it can bend under its own weight and take a round shape. This process can last 2-12 hours, you need to wait until the drywall looks dry, but more flexible. Of course, testing the band for flexibility should be carefully.
To fasten the end strip to the arch, you need just as you fastened the parts earlier, that is, putting the screws into a level with gypsum board and keeping the step of 10 cm.
- Well, that's all, it remains only to trim the arch - plaster, and then paint, plaster with decorative plaster, wallpapered, framed with a finished MDF / wood arch or a natural / artificial stone, brick, mosaic.
For more information on how to properly plaster the arch of plasterboard with your own hands, see this video instruction:
How to make an arch with the help of a "padded" interior arch with a rectangular vault
The easiest and most profitable way to make a rectangular aperture with your own hands and simultaneously to frame it - just buy and install a built-in interior arch with a rectangular vault like on pictures below.
- Sometimes the arch of the arch framework requires an increase in the height and expansion of the rectangular opening. Another disadvantage is that the frame of the structure will be visible;
- It is not always possible to find a ready-made arch in the right size and shape.
An example of what an inter-room arch looks like between a kitchen and a living room in a classic interior is presented in the following photo.
On how you can assemble and install a ready-made arch structure with your own hands, you can look in the following video instruction:
- . Himself a painter - painting the walls in the kitchen.
- . Choose wallpaper and background for the kitchen by all rules.
- . Wall decoration in the kitchen with vinyl wallpaper - 6 steps from buying to sticking.
- . We create a unique design in the kitchen - we correctly combine the wallpaper.
- . Flizeline wallpaper in the kitchen: customer reference and step by step instructions for gluing.
- . Kitchen design and design without window.