The easiest and cheapest option for finishing the ceiling are plastic panels. For their installation there is no need to acquire special building skills. The installation process is quite simple and straightforward. Such material will be relevant both for residential bedrooms, office premises, and for the humid atmosphere of the bathroom.
- Kinds ↓
- Advantages and disadvantages ↓
- How to choose? ↓
- How to fasten? ↓
- Tips ↓
They do not get wet, do not change their color and do not sag over time.
Ceiling plastic is made of polyvinyl chloride, which does not emit toxic substances and is perfect for indoor use. This is a thin, 8-10 mm thick, and quite fragile material having a different texture and a wide color gamut.
Thanks to ceiling plastic panels, you can implement design solutions of any complexity. Stack plastic in any direction, creating unique images. The design allows the integration of lighting elements.
Properties of ceiling panels:
Due to its design featuresPlastic panels have good strength. They consist of two main strips: front and working, between which stiffeners are laid. This creates the effect of a honeycomb structure, which in its cavity contains an air gap.
- They have heat-shielding properties.
- They work as a sound absorber.
- Do not burn.
- Full waterproof.
- Withstand significant leaks even in the joints.
- Have a long service life (more than 10 years).
- Do not fade when exposed to sunlight.
- First, a mixture of polyvinyl chloride is prepared and additional additives that make the material smooth, durable and designed for a certain temperature range.
- The solution is immersed in the extruder, after which smooth plastic strips are obtained.
- After cooling down, they are cut into a length of 2, 5, 6 meters.
- Quality control is carried out.
- The surface of the plastic is covered with special films different colors, or spraying is applied, imitating wood, metal, three-dimensional patterns.
- In conclusion, the material is covered with a protective layer.
Since the material has excellent performance, it is used to decorate bathrooms, toilets, bedrooms, hallways, offices, pools. Also, as a result of high frost resistance, PVC material can be used on loggias, balconies, garages, basements.
Often, there are huge shopping centers with plastic ceilings. Lightness and low cost make plastic simply irreplaceable.
Plastic for the ceiling is distinguished in appearance:
- Glossy - visually increase the space, but create glare.
- Matte - absorb light, reducing room illumination.
By connection method:
- Suture - fastened with a visible lock and create a three-dimensional view.
- Seamless - when docking do not form a pronounced separation.
By type of execution:
- Leafy - are attached only to perfectly smooth surfaces.
- In the form of a tile - allow you to create complex ornaments.
- Typesetting stripes - The most popular and easy to install.
Among the whole variety of PVC panels, it is important not to confuse the ceiling and wall options. Ceilings are lighter and more fragile, requiring careful handling.
Pick up a three-meter sheet and try to pick it up, this is quite simple. The wall ones, on the contrary, have a more tangible weight and bend less with a large length. If you press your finger on the ceiling panel, then it will give in easily. Wall ones have wider stiffeners.
Advantages and disadvantages
Among masters and consumers, plastic was able to gain indestructible authority, given the main advantages of this material:
- Installation takes only a few hours depending on the square of the ceiling.
- Externally, the product looks aesthetically pleasing and very modern.
- Plastic helps make the surface perfectly flat without the use of additional measures.
- Cavity behind the suspension structure allows you to easily part all the wiring.
- You can easily insulate the ceiling. This applies not only to bedrooms and offices, but also to bathrooms with high humidity. When laying a mineral bath, lay a layer of a vapor barrier, this will protect the heat-insulating material from getting wet and the formation of mold.
- Designed for significant differences temperatures.
- Don't crack with time.
- Easy to care for. The ceiling can be washed using conventional glass mops. Since the surface is perfectly flat, dirt is removed even without the use of special detergents.
- Do not ignite.
- Do not turn yellow over timehowever, it is better not to smoke in a room with plastic ceiling panels, since tobacco smoke tends to be absorbed, forming characteristic spots.
- Environmentally friendly and have no odor. Even when melted, no harmful substances are released.
- Hides all communication pipes.
Despite all the advantages, plastic panels have their drawbacks:
- Limited formTherefore, it is simply impossible to make a multi-level ceiling from plastic.
- Due to visible seams between the panelssignificantly loses in appearance.
- Start to deform at a temperature of more than 60 degrees.
How to choose?
Choosing ceiling panels is quite simple.
It is necessary to take into account several nuances:
- Prefer seamless views. Checking their affiliation is very simple. Connect the two stripes together, or ask the sellers to do this for you, in order to see how the seam looks. It should be barely noticeable, since without attachment to the profiles it is impossible to achieve the ideal. No joints will be visible on the ceiling.
- For residential premises Do not buy Chinese-made goods, as they are very easy to break during installation. They can be installed where aesthetics will be in second place, and there is a need to save.
- Trackso that the surface is flat without obvious drops and bumps.
- In recent years, well-recommended material of domestic production.
Depending on the manufacturer and the length of the strips, the price of the PVC panel differs. The market value of a material of 3 meters in length ranges from 150 to 200 rubles on average.
If you need 6-meter strip, then you should prepare for the price of 270-320 rubles. First of all, pay attention to the quality and color scheme, and then look at the price. There are times when cheap material is made no less soundly than its expensive counterparts. Then it makes no sense to overpay. They will last equally long.
How to calculate the required amount:
- First of all, to calculate the amount of material, you need to determine the ceiling area, multiplying the lengths of the sides.
- Secondly, divide the result by the area of one panel. As a rule, these data are indicated on the packaging. However, if you have not visited the store yet, but know that you will buy 3-meter strips with a width of 250 mm, then their area will be 0.75 square meters. In the case of 6 meters - 1.5 square meters.
- Thirdly, add 15% to cuts to the resulting value, rounding the final number to a larger value. So you get the number of lanes needed.
How to fasten?
Ceiling plastic is mounted on a pre-assembled structure of a robust metal profile. It is also possible to use a wooden frame, however, this option is not suitable for the bathroom and other rooms with high humidity.
If the base is correctly installed, then further installation will go quickly and without unnecessary debris.
Necessary materials and tools:
- plastic panels;
- UD profile
- CD profile;
- starting L-profile to hide the ends of the panels;
- dowels and screws;
- scissors for metal;
Step-by-step installation instructions:
- Step one. At the initial stage of installation of the ceiling system, create a frame of galvanized profiles. To do this, the level is measured, and marks are made on the walls where it is necessary to fix the UD-27 profile. These will be the perimeter guides. It is worth noting that the step between the fasteners should not be less than 40 cm, the distance of 50 cm is considered optimal. Cross sections from guides are performed using the CD-60 profile with a step of 60 cm. The axles are fixed with P-suspensions, which are drilled with dowels to the ceiling at 90 degrees.
- Step Two A plastic L-profile is attached to the guides using self-tapping screws.
- Step Three At this stage, all the necessary wires are laid.
- Step Four We proceed to install plastic panels, which we cut off strictly along the length of the ceiling, using scissors for metal. We mount the first strip in the L-profile, carefully fixing with self-tapping screws along the entire length. The following stripes are connected by a lock. In such situations, the start profile serves as a hiding element, the ends of the panels go there.
- Step Five The most critical step in the installation of the ceiling is the installation of the last strip. As a rule, it has to be cut. In such a situation, the principle of "measure seven times - cut once" is by the way.
To make the plastic ceiling beautiful, you need to follow a few simple rules:
- Seams between panels should be parallel to the source of direct sunlight. This will help to hide the junction.
- When choosing plastic, pay attention to its strength. Press the edge of the panel with two fingers. Deformation should be negligible.
- Plastic should flex well and at the same time not to break, so its fragility is checked.
- Prefer PVC panels with a lot of stiffeners. This will help create a sturdy construction.