Coming to the question of installing a ceiling lamp, and this concept slightly expands the usual theme interior lighting, should, first of all, pay attention to the very design of the chandelier, namely its way fastenings.
- Necessary materials and tools ↓
- How to fasten? ↓
- How to connect the wires? ↓
- Three-wire connection diagram ↓
- Four wire connection ↓
- Connecting a chandelier with a remote control ↓
- Connection to the switch ↓
- Tips ↓
Structurally, luminaires can be conditionally divided into:
- Pendant mount with ceiling hook.
- Mounting with a mounting strip.
- Case mount to ceiling surface.
The first, most common type of fixture of chandeliers of the recent past. Almost all lamps from exclusive crystal lamps from rock crystal, the most beautiful and scarce in the Soviet time, bohemian glass chandeliers, to pre-war plush lampshades were attached quite simply with the help of a rigidly mounted ceiling hook.
More modern options for interior lighting, use a mounting strip in their mount
In the case method, using dowels, the chandelier is rigidly attached to the ceiling through the holes in the lamp housing.
Necessary materials and tools
The rationality of using each of these methods is determined directly at the installation site based on local conditions and design ideas.
But no matter what the idea of the design of the room was, in its implementation it is necessary:
- Means of protection and tools to ensure compliance with safety regulations.
Of the tools necessary for attaching the chandelier (here we are talking about the option when only wires are removed from the concrete ceiling, without a hole and any means or devices):
- Hammer drill for punching holes in a plate.
- Set of drills on concrete.
- Electrical extension cord.
- Electrical tester (not to be confused with a probe).
- Electric probe (and here not to be confused with the tester, the tester is a device for measuring the electrical circuit, voltage, resistance, and the probe is a device similar to a screwdriver for determining the presence of voltage in wiring).
- Hidden Wiring Indicator (if the logic of the builders cannot be understood and it is necessary to search for electrical wires in the thickness of concrete).
- Screwdriver (preferably with a long working body wrapped in electrical tape).
- Round pliers.
- Dielectric knife, as well as all other tools.
From consumables you will need:
- PVC insulation tape.
- Mounting block.
- Dowels and bolts.
As a means of protection:
- Rubber gloves (preferably special gloves for mounting made of soft rubber, but if there are none, ordinary kitchen gloves will do).
- Stable step ladder or a strong chair.
Additionally, it is useful to have at hand the space for the tool and the assembly of the elements of the lamp.
How to fasten?
It is recommended to devote the start of installation work to the study of the lamp itself and the method of its fastening, the electrical filling and the assembly instructions directly.
The process itself can be represented as follows:
- Assembly of the main elements of the chandelier, without shades and decor elements.
- Using hidden wiring indicator determines the location of the electrical cables in the ceiling.
- In a safe place, not far from the place where the wires exit (usually the wires extend 10 to 12 centimeters), there is a spot for installing a ceiling hook.
- Puncher a hole is made in the plate to the depth of the dowel (numbers are marked on plastic dowels: the first is the diameter, the second is the length, all indicators are in millimeters).
- A plastic dowel is inserted into the hole and the hook is screwed in (or a self-locking hook is inserted).
- For a special ring or the chandelier lock is suspended on a hook.
In the case of fastening with a mounting strip, the procedure is as follows:
- The installation location is determined slats.
- Mounting bolts are attached to the bar.
- Puncher holes are drilled.
- Plugs are inserted.
- Through the center hole electrical wires are inserted in the mounting plate.
- Plank screws or bolted to the ceiling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch? v = Ltu6IWLV7Po
How to connect the wires?
Now that the dirtiest and dustiest part of the work is behind, the most interesting and creative part of the process is coming in - connecting the electrical wires.
Here, among other things, it is recommended to take a sheet of paper and a pencil. So it’s easier and clearer on paper to sketch, and later, correctly and the first time to assemble the connection diagram of the lamp.
The first thing you need to pay attention to is the number of wires leaving the ceiling:
- Two-core cable - the lamp will work in one mode - at the same time turning on all the lamps.
- Three core cable - in this case there is a possibility adjust the lighting of the room, use the minimum or maximum lighting mode.
The second important point to which special attention should be paid is the design of the circuit breaker - one, two or three-key.
A single-key switch turns on all the lamps of the chandelier at the same time and switching modes is not possible. Switches with several positions allow you to switch lighting modes, as well as turn on all the lamps at the same time.
The third point, already from the practical plane, requires determining the presence of phase and zero in the wiring. In the classic wiring diagram, zero, denoted by the Latin "N", from junction box It is connected directly, without a switch. The phase is determined by the probe - the light indicates voltage by glow. This conductor is broken by the contacts of the switch.
Now that the main points are identified, without any difficulty you can connect the chandelier to the mains.
Three-wire connection diagram
For 30 years, modern electrical appliances have been equipped with color-coded wiring. So, generally accepted in the color gamut of cable sheaths - the blue color symbolizes “zero”, the other wires are “phase”, but the wires having two longitudinal stripes - yellow and green, are needed for ground connection.
The simplest type of connection is two-wire. One cable is “zero”, the second through the “phase” switch. The building wiring wires are clamped in the sockets of the mounting block, and the lamp wires are clamped on the opposite side of the sockets. Everything is elementary.
When connecting three wires, the actions should be as follows:
- All blue wires are connected in the wiring of the chandelier in one twist.
- The remaining wires are connected depending on the number of lamps in two twists - one part of the lamps will be turned on with one key of the switch, the rest of the lamps will be turned on by the second key, when you press both keys, all the lamps will be turned on.
- Through mounting block twists are connected in the following order - “zero” to the socket with blue wires, the remaining twists to the jacks with “phase” wires.
Four wire connection
The classic version of using four cables in the building wiring is a standard two-position circuit with additional residential grounding. Such a wire is marked with two additional strips.
In the future, it is recommended to simply insulate this end of the cable and not use it when connecting.
Connecting a chandelier with a remote control
The creation of a beautiful light show or the inclusion of indoor lighting software made it possible to use electronic components in modern luminaires. One of the achievements of modern electronics is the use of remote control lamps.
A feature of connecting such an electronic miracle is a special control unit that controls the lighting. In principle, connecting such a chandelier is not a big problem, it is the same lamp as the others, except for the electronics, which must be connected to the network according to the attached circuit.
Here, not only the polarity plays an important role, but in some cases the need to connect the ground wire with a yellow-green strip.
Connection to the switch
In addition, it is desirable, like a regular chandelier, to connect a common circuit through a switch, After all, turning off the lighting is sometimes necessary during a long absence or, for example, replacing lamps. Like conventional luminaires, voltage is connected through a switch, and the neutral wire goes directly through the junction box.
In the arsenal of a home electrician, in addition to traditional electrical tape and a probe, it is recommended to have some other tricks - for example, probe lamps. A simple device consisting of an electric cartridge with connected wires 35-40 centimeters long with stripped ends and light bulbs will allow you to quickly and easily determine the voltage in wiring.
Getting to the installation of lighting devices, it is worthwhile to attach a sheet of paper with a tape warning to the switch on the work warning tape.
In addition, among protective measures, it is recommended to have rubber-soled shoes and not work with the stepladder on a wet floor.