Mistresses make a lot of work to get a comfortable cozy atmosphere in the apartment. Particular attention is paid to the kitchen, because there is cooking, cleaning dishes from pollution. In this room, unpleasant aromas often appear, which gradually spread throughout the apartment. One of the reasons for this unpleasant phenomenon is considered a blockage in the sewer system. From our article we learn how to eliminate the smell from the sink in the kitchen, consider the causes of its occurrence and methods of control.
Before choosing a specific method for eliminating an unpleasant odor, you need to understand the cause of its occurrence:
- Siphon blockage. When washing dishes, grease, cereals, vegetables and food waste get into the sewer system. Over time, these substances accumulate on the walls of pipes or in a siphon, form plugs. Rotting deposits create an unpleasant odor that can only be removed by thorough cleaning of the siphon.
- The second popular reason is the intermittent operation of the sink. A water seal is not formed in the siphon, which should prevent the penetration of extraneous odor from the sewer system. If the plumbing has not been used for its intended purpose for a long time, the liquid will evaporate and the smell will penetrate the room.
- Incorrect installation of the siphon.
- Corrugation deformation during operation. Over time, the tube changes its initial location, it can sag or stretch. In this position, a blockage or a complete discharge of liquid into the sewer is formed, which prevents the formation of a water seal in the siphon.
- Lack of sealing in the joints of the riser and pipes. The corrugation is simply stuck in the drain hole after the siphon, its second end is inserted into the sewer.
- Airing is accompanied by a characteristic gurgling of the sink. This phenomenon often occurs when neighbors on top have installed plugs on the sewer inlets.
As we can see, unpleasant aromas in the kitchen can appear for various reasons. Next, we learn how to get rid of the smell from the sink.
The relevance of the issue
The smell from the sink is not only not pleasant, substances entering the premises can affect human health. The air entering the room from the sewer system contains harmful gases (ammonia, hydrogen sulfide and methane). The last substance is especially dangerous, it is impossible to notice its presence, because methane does not emit a smell.
Prolonged exposure to harmful fumes leads to loss of smell, affects the respiratory organs. These gases act on the nervous system. A person has a feeling of anxiety, which can lead to nervous breakdowns.
Determining the causes of odors
A plumber will help diagnose the sanitary equipment, but the specialist will have to wait a long time, and then pay for the services. This option is recommended for use in case of serious damage, most of the work can be done independently without special skills.
First you need to follow the operation of the sink. If the liquid drains normally, but the smell does not disappear, rinse the pipe with hot water with detergents or a solution of vinegar and baking soda. If such operations did not give the desired result, you will have to inspect the pipes and siphon for cracks, leaks. Perhaps there is a leak in engineering communications. If moisture is detected, the joints are sealed or wrapped with fum tape.
Fragrance Control Methods
Before you eliminate the smell of sewage in the kitchen, you need to figure out the cause of its occurrence. If all the connections of the sanitary fixtures are tight, then the unpleasant odor enters the room through the formation of blockages in the pipes. There are several methods for destroying traffic jams, we will familiarize ourselves with them in more detail.
Cable for cleaning
A standard steel cable will not solve the problem; to break the cork, it is necessary to use a special product with a hook and a brush. Its length ranges from 3-5 meters, a handle is installed at the end for carrying out rotational movements.
To remove the blockage in the sewer, the following steps must be taken:
- Remove the corrugation from the input to the sewer system.
- Insert the cable into the pipe and push it to the maximum depth.
- We rotate the handle and at the same time hold the casing.
- Such manipulations are carried out until the cable comes into contact with the blockage. Further, the cork can be tried to break or pull out with a hook.
After carrying out the procedures, the tool is thoroughly washed, its surface is lubricated with machine oil and stored in a box.
Using a plunger
The specified device is used in the formation of deposits in the siphon, when there is no desire to disassemble the device. Next, we describe how to get rid of the smell from the sink using a plunger. To do this, you must:
- install the cap on the drain hole on the sink;
- turn on the tap with hot water and wait until the liquid completely covers the cap;
- we close the valve and alternately move the plunger handle, up and down;
- after several such tricks, the device is pulled out, while part of the sediment from the siphon must fall into the sink;
- open hot water and wash away the dirt.
Instead of a siphon, you can use improvised means, for example, a bag of juice or milk. In such a container, we cut off the upper part, insert it into the drain hole and act on the principle of a plunger with periodic movements up and down.
If the cause of the unpleasant odor is in the siphon, then this device can be disassembled. We take out the corrugation from the sewer bell and substitute the bucket, open the tap and pour water into the sink. If the fluid does not flow, it is necessary to disassemble the siphon. For this:
- we substitute the capacity and carefully unscrew the cap;
- unscrew the nuts and remove the corrugation, remove the blockage;
- the siphon is assembled in the reverse order.
At the final stage of work, we check the tightness of the joints. To do this, just turn on the water. If necessary, tighten the fasteners.
Dealing with blockages with improvised tools
How to remove the smell of sewage from the sink if you do not have the necessary equipment at hand? The available tools will help in this:
- We pour a glass of salt into the drain hole of the sink and add 500 milliliters of boiling water. After 3 hours, turn on the hot water.
- We mix baking soda with salt in equal proportions, pour it into the sink. After half an hour we work on the mixture with boiling water. If the smell remains, repeat the procedure or use more effective methods.
- Pour into a siphon 2 tbsp. Spoons of soda, then pour a glass of vinegar and block the hole with a rag or cork. After 10 minutes, wash the pipes with boiling water.
- Pour the contents of a bag of citric acid powder into the drain, add a small amount of hot water. The chemical reaction should contribute to the destruction of the blockage.
- We use a special tool "Mole" according to the instructions on the package. This drug is more aggressive than citric acid or a mixture of soda and vinegar.
To eliminate blockages in the sink, you can use other chemicals. They are bought in a household chemistry store, used according to the manufacturer's instructions.
How to remove the smell from the sink in the kitchen? The best way is to prevent clogging. To do this, you must:
- Use a special mesh to trap food waste in the sink. Do not pour tea leaves or coffee grounds into the sink.
- After washing the dishes, rinse the pipes with hot water. This will prevent the accumulation of fat in the siphon or in the corrugation.
- Perform periodic cleaning service. Pour vinegar into the drain hole. Such operations must be carried out at least once a week.
- If the plumbing is inactive for a long time (the owners have gone to rest), pour a little vegetable oil into the siphon. Such a liquid does not evaporate, which will prevent the penetration of odors from the sewer system.
Buy quality siphons that you can take apart yourself. In this case, the user will be able to repair the equipment himself without calling the plumber.
There are a huge number of ways to get rid of the smell in the sink, but before carrying out specific actions it is necessary to identify the cause of its occurrence and choose the most effective means. The recommendations specified in the article will help to independently solve the problem and achieve the desired result.
With great interest I always read your comments to my articles. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, leave, you are welcome, Your feedback in the form below. Your opinion is very important to me. Thanks to your criticism and thanks, I can make this blog more useful and interesting.
I would be very grateful if you rate this post and share it with your friends. This is easy to do by clicking on the social media buttons above. Do not forget the article you like Add to bookmarks and subscribe to new blog posts on social networks.