The content of the article:
Black currant in the content of vitamins is the most useful berry among its other varieties. At the same time, it requires more attention from gardeners: the black currant has its own requirements for growing and nursing, including in the spring.
Requirements for growing
Black currant likes the sun, moisture and fertile soil. The best place for planting shrubs will be south or southwest, that is, a side well illuminated by the sun. In this case it is necessary to take into account that this plant is afraid of drafts, and also often suffers from too close a bed of groundwater.
Black currant does not tolerate sour soil, so if such a phenomenon occurs, a year before the planned disembarkation it is necessary to dig a site with lime at the rate of 500 g per 1 sq. Km. m. Directly before landing in the landing pit, add superphosphate, ash and humus.
Plant black currant can be both in spring and autumn, but most gardeners prefer the second option.
In order for the black currant to please the generous harvest of large berries, it must be paid attention at the very beginning of the growing season. In order to do this in spring it follows:
- Carry pruning of bushes, removing all damaged branches and those on which the pests (mites) settled. In addition, the technology of pruning depends on the age of the bush: young plants should be cut, leaving 3-4 kidneys. Two-year-old shrubs are thinned, leaving only about three strong shoots, and carving the rest to the soil level. The left shoots are shortened, cutting off their third part. The procedure is repeated for the third year of life. In the future, when the bush is formed, it will only be necessary to cut out damaged and too old branches every year, and also partially remove the young growth if it is too much.
- Regularly watering the planting, providing them with the moisture that the currant so loves.
- To prevent diseases and pest damage, treat currants with Nitrafen.
- Fodder with complex mineral fertilizers.
- Silence the trunks to avoid rapid loss of moisture and the appearance of weeds.
With timely and correct spring activities, black currant will bear fruit with delicious berries the next 10-15 years.