The content of the article:
For the Ancient Greeks, cabbage was a symbol of sobriety. And Pythagoras believed so much in her healing properties that he was engaged in her selection. Gradually, from the shores of the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic, the cabbage migrated to the territory of Ancient Rus and, spread throughout the Eurasian continent, has become one of the most frequently used vegetable crops European cuisine. For residents of Russia, a traditional variety is considered white cabbage, for the cultivation of which 30% of sown areas are allocated. A special place among the types of cabbage cabbage is Slava. Why did she become so fond of gardening and how to grow it?
Cabbage Glory refers to the medium-ripening varieties of cabbage cabbage, since the head is formed 110-125 days after emergence. Being a moisture-loving plant, a variety of cabbage Slava differs a good tolerance of lack of moisture.
According to the official characteristic of cabbage, Slava gives a high yield to 1, kg / m. Ogorodnikam this variety of cabbage fell in love for its excellent taste and ability to resist the major diseases affecting cabbage.
The head of the head is round or round-flat. The mass of heads varies from, to, kg. Cabbage leaves are externally pale green, and in the cut are white.
Cabbage Glory is well transported, can be stored for up to 3 months, does not crack. It has a good marketable appearance, and therefore is successfully sold behind a sales counter.
The taste of fresh cabbage can be enjoyed until early January, but it is also good in sauerkraut.
Characteristics of cabbage: Slava 1305 and Slava Gribovskaya 231
There are two types of cabbage, Slava: 1305 and Gribovskaya 231. Consider briefly the characteristics of cabbage species Slava:
- Slava Gribovskaya 231. The formation of the head is 100-110 days after planting the seedlings in the soil. The matured head with a mass of 2-3 kg has a good density and has a rounded shape. According to the catalog of the description of cabbage varieties, Slava Gribovskaya yields from 6.6 to 8.9 kg per 1 sq. M. The structure of the leaf is fine-wrinkled, the edge is smooth, the color is dark green with a light waxy coating. Valued for its unpretentiousness to soils and better tolerance of lack of moisture.
- Glory to 1305. Ripens 14 days after the previous species, but is characterized by higher yield and resistance to cracking. Has better resistance to mucous bacteriosis. Kochany gives larger (3-5 kg), but less dense. It is stored somewhat worse, because it spoils faster.
Both species are grown for consumption in the autumn and sour.
Cultivation of cabbage Glory
To ensure that the harvest has pleased the gardener, it is necessary to take into account the basic requirements for the cultivation of cabbage. Slava:
- Cabbage Glory is grown by seedling and seedlings.
- Seeds of cabbage Glory for seedlings are planted in unheated greenhouses, covered with a film, or under a tunnel cover in the garden in the first half of April.
- The optimum temperature for seeding is 12-18C.
- In order for seedlings to grow well, one plant needs an area of 25 cm2.
- Seedlings are ready for planting in the ground, if it formed 5-6 of these leaves, and it reached a height of 15 cm. As a rule, this moment comes in mid-May - early June.
- Before transferring the seedlings to the open ground, it should be hardened for 6-8 days.
- For landing in the ground, choose a solar patch.
- Scheme of disembarkation in the soil: 60x60 cm.
- 2-3 hours before transplanting the seedlings, the soil is watered abundantly in the soil.
Separately, it is necessary to specify the features of preparing the soil for transplanting seedlings:
- cabbage Slava loves a weakly acid fertile soil with a pH close to 6. If the pH value is too high, the soil must be limed;
- cabbage Glory will grow well if its predecessors were potatoes, legumes or perennials;
- from autumn the soil is well digested and fresh manure is introduced (70-80 kg / m2) or humus (40-50 kg / m2 square);
- Before planting seeds, the soil is leveled with rakes.
Let's consider in more detail the process of planting cabbage seeds Slava under tunnel shelters:
- seeds are planted in previously made grooves with a depth of 1 cm, located at a distance of 7-8 cm from each other;
- the planted seeds are watered and covered with mats, which are not removed until the first shoots appear;
- after the appearance of the first leaf, the seedlings are thinned so that there is 5 cm of free space between neighboring plants;
- water the seedlings as the soil dries.
To grow strong seedlings, it needs to be fed in time. Top dressing occurs in two stages:
- Step 1. The first fertilizing is carried out when two real leaves are formed on the seedlings. To prepare a fertilizer mixture, superphosphate (6 g), ammonium nitrate (5 g) and potassium chloride (2 g) are used per 1 square meter of soil. The resulting mixture is scattered between the beds and well watered.
- Step 2. The second second feeding occurs one week after the first. Seedlings for transplanting into the ground are ready in 30-35 days.
Care for cabbage Glory
When seedlings are planted in open ground, care for cabbage Slava assumes abundant watering, pest control and timely feeding.
As a rule, cabbage Glory should be watered 7-8 times for the whole period of vegetation. And after watering it is recommended to hoe a cabbage bush to stimulate the growth of new roots and, as a consequence, the formation of larger cabbage heads. But watering should be stopped 2-3 weeks before the planned harvest.
To discourage pests, a bed of cabbage is planted with a strong-smelling plant, for example, marigolds or petunia, the main thing is that these plants do not shade cabbage.
Top-dressing of cabbage Glory is carried out in 3 stages:
- Step 1. After 2 weeks after planting the seedlings in the ground, the first top dressing of the plant is made with the fermented solution of the mullein: 5 buckets are used for 1 bucket per 10 liters.
- Step 2. The second top dressing takes place during the formation of the head. To the solution of Mullein is already added wood ash (50 g per bucket).
- Step 3. The third top dressing is performed 3-4 weeks after the previous one using the same technology.
A good characteristic of cabbage Glory is worth it to give her a place in his garden. A simple process of cultivation and care for cabbage Glory will be rewarded with the excellent taste of such a popular and useful vegetable.