The content of the article:
Carrots are planted, in fact, all summer residents. This is understandable, because the root crop occupies one of the important places in any kitchen. And in planting carrots is nothing difficult. Poured the seeds on the garden and wait for the harvest. However, everything is not so simple. Some of the secrets of growing and carroting in the open, about what needs to be done before planting, and how to deal with uninvited guests, this article will tell.
- What to consider when planting carrots in the open ground seeds.
- Soil preparation.
- Plant carrots with seeds in the open ground.
- Care for carrots in the open field and the correct watering of the carrot beds.
- Fight against diseases and pests.
What to consider when planting carrots in the open ground with seeds
All of us from childhood, a familiar carrot is not so simple vegetable in growing, it is content with capricious. To get a truly generous harvest, and the crop was saved without losses, it is necessary to take into account some serious points:
- a garden with carrots should be located in the sunniest place, in shaded places carrots will grow weakly and will not give a full-fledged vegetable;
- To get a sweet carrot on a table, plant it in soil that is not supersaturated with acids;
- excessive watering leads to the fact that the carrot begins to grow strongly, but coarsens and becomes, more likely, fodder than the dining room;
- this vegetable especially likes loose soil, otherwise it will have a curved shape;
- carrots do not like fresh manure, from it it warps, the root is deformed, which leads to the ugly form of the fruit;
- If the carrot is not watered for a long time, it loses its juiciness and sweetness;
- when, after a long dry period, abundant and frequent watering begins, root crops crack;
- without thinning grow frail fruits, not capable of long-term storage;
- rough thinning can lead to the fact that the neighboring (remaining) roots are deformed, several ugly fruits grow from one carrot.
If these factors are taken into account, carrots will be pleased with smooth and tasty fruits that can be stored until the next harvest. But before planting seeds, it is necessary to prepare the soil.
A good owner begins to prepare beds for carrots from the autumn days. Seeds for carrots should be done where previously grown cereals, cucumbers, beets, cabbage or corn. For a full yield, only very loosely soiled soil will do. If the soil is light, not compacted, then you can simply walk a rake or, better, a flat-cutter. In other cases, you should seriously tackle the loosening, otherwise you will have to harvest a curve, small carrots.
To achieve beds with a light and lush soil, the land is mixed with compost, with peat or sand. You can add manure, but it should be well reborn. Carrots do not like fresh manure and will respond to its introduction with a thick and dense tops, fruits with thick skin, unpleasant taste, small and ugly forms.
Since this vegetable does not tolerate acidic soils, it is worth adding ash, dolomite flour or lime. It will be sensible to add various fertilizers right from the autumn. In spring, such a bed should be carefully loosened again and only after that sow the seeds.
Planting carrots with seeds in the open ground
Some gardeners plant seeds just in the ground, however, it is much better to put the carrot seeds soaked for 3 to 4 days, and then dry a little. This will reveal non-resembling seeds and significantly accelerate the germination process. How to plant carrots with seeds in the open field experienced gardener know themselves. But, since the seeds are very small and plant them is difficult, the farmers have come up with some ways to ensure that the small seeds fall flat and do not fall all in one place.
Planting carrots into the open ground with seeds occurs as follows:
- most often the seeds are mixed with sand, they do not stick together and more evenly fall into rows;
- on a roll of toilet paper every paste is glued to the desired distance by the paste, in spring such tapes are simply buried in the bed;
- prepare the jelly from potato starch, place the seeds in it and pour it through the nozzle of the kettle into the prepared rows;
- if carrot seeds are drained, they are simply sown in grooves.
In any case, the seeds are planted at a distance of 3 - 5 cm. from each other in rows, and between the rows (grooves) should be maintained a distance of 15 - 20 cm.
That the weeds do not crush the tender shoots, and the moisture does not weathered and the crust on the soil does not appear, the crops are covered with a film. Seedlings appear at a temperature of 18 degrees in two weeks. And, young trees are not afraid of short-term frosts, but after a long cold, the plant ceases to build up the root and gives out color.
Care of carrots in the open ground and the correct watering of the carrot beds
Cultivation of carrots and care in the open ground requires a certain degree of systematicity. This is especially true for watering. It is very important to know how to water carrots in the open ground. After a lack of watering, the young roots can not reach the water, and the sprouts will die, and the overflow threatens to turn the tasty and juicy carrots into livestock feed. Water should be abundant, but not often. When carrots already form long roots, some gardeners completely stop watering it. In this case, the roots rush strictly downward, forming straight and long root crops.
Frequent, superficial watering promotes the growth of hairiness of carrots and the fact that the fetus grows curve. But to excommunicate the plant from watering is also risky. If carrots will be for a long time on water starvation, and then suddenly there will be a rainy period, all the fruits will crack. Watering carrots in the open ground should not be frequent, but systematic. Even with the moments of the first shoots carrots can be fed, she will gratefully accept this.
In addition to watering, thinning is necessary. Small seeds when planted, sometimes so close to each other, that do not give full development of the fruit. If you neglect thinning, the carrot will grow thin, frail, which will quickly decay during storage, and little will be suitable for the table.
It is recommended to thin the carrots on days 12 and 22 from sprouting.
Care of carrots in the open ground contains one more very important stage - loosening. As described above, the carrot without this procedure grows a curve, small and ugly. Very often loosening is combined with weeding or thinning. Weeding is also needed so that strong weeds do not obscure the shoots.
Fighting diseases and pests
One of the pests of the vegetable is a carrot fly. In order to get rid of it, it is better to arrange the beds in a windy place beforehand, the fly does not like winds. It is very advisable to plant carrots next to onions. And that she did not even look at the carrot patch, it is better to sprinkle the garden with spicy pepper, gold or tobacco dust, mulch mowing grass or straw.
From the rotting carrot helps timely thinning and loosening. Another pest is the mole. To combat this hooligan, shops offer a number of means. On the right care for carrots in the open ground will take a lot of time and effort, however, a splendid harvest of this is worth it.