The content of the article:
Like other plants, gooseberries can be exposed to insect pests. There are also various diseases of gooseberry. It is very important to react in time to any of their manifestations and to prevent negative effects on plants.
The condition of the plant is important to control throughout his life. If diseases occur or if insects appear on it, medical measures should be taken immediately. If you ignore these negative factors, you can lose the crop, and later on the bush itself. Diseases of gooseberries quickly spread, because they all have a fungal nature.
As for insects - they cause no less harm than fungal diseases. They are mostly caterpillars and small aphids. Spread across the plant is also very fast. This situation damages the plant.
There are situations when the influence of insects is interwoven with the presence of diseases. Save the bush immediately. Diseases of gooseberries and their treatment should be determined first.
The main diseases of gooseberry are:
- Septoria. The disease is characterized by a rapid spread of the leaves of the plant in the form of spots. The most dangerous period for infection is the beginning of June. At the beginning of the development of the disease there are signs of gray spots with a dark brown border. With further development on the spots appear black dots. Such a course of the disease causes premature drying and falling of the foliage. Even after the fall, the fungi continue to live in the fallen leaves. Because they need to be cleaned and burned immediately. You can see the photo of gooseberry disease.
- Spheroteka (powdery mildew). This is one of the most dangerous diseases for a plant. Its insidiousness lies in the fact that it does not affect individual organs, but the whole plant. Favorable period of the disease development is the end of spring - the beginning of summer. The first signs of the development of the disease appear from the bottom of the sheets in the form of a small white coating. Over time, if the disease is not treated, it grows into a more neglected phase, which is characterized by the appearance of brown coarse seals. At the onset of such a phase, it is very difficult to save a plant. In addition, it is not recommended to leave it in this form, since spores are easily spread by insects and wind.
- Rust is columnar or goblet. It is a disease of the leaves of a plant. Progresses in late May - early June. This disease of gooseberry is manifested by external symptoms - the appearance of yellow spores in the form of spots of irregular shape. With the development of the disease, the places of infection turn into the shape of the beakers on the foliage. The disease can affect the growth and deformation of the fruit, as a result of which they can still be green. If you do not start treatment, you can lose the whole crop.
- Anthracnose. It is also a disease that manifests itself on the leaves of a plant. Defeating areas of foliage, the disease provokes their rapid falling off. Appears in the form of dark brown spots. In later stages of the disease, the leaves are covered with a rough, dry crust of brown color. If you do not start timely treatment, the foliage falls off, and the growth of the plant stops.
The presence of gooseberry diseases is not the only danger in their growth and development. There are also insects - pests of gooseberry, which can spoil the whole harvest. They adversely affect the foliage, the root system and the fruits.
Gooseberry seedling pale. These are small insects in the form of green larvae. Adult individuals reach 6-satimeter size, have a dark color with light spots. They can cause irreparable damage to the plant. The larvae of the sawfly develop very rapidly. They are capable of destroying the whole bush in one or two days. After their pernicious influence, only a sinewy structure remains from the leaves, the entire surface of the leaf is destroyed and the plant ceases to grow.
Gooseberry sprout yellow. The larva has a bluish-green color. Its body is covered with small warts. Adult individuals are red-yellow in color. Great harm is done by them, nibbling the leaves entirely. If this pest is found, measures need to be taken.
Control of pests of gooseberries:
- Initially, it is necessary to spray the plant with tinctures based on bitter wormwood, yarrow, tobacco or makhorka.
- Also an effective means for destroying larvae is a solution of soap and wood ash. Use it you need about, kg / bush.
- A good effect is the use of insecticides.
In autumn, after harvesting, you need to loosen the soil around the bush. You can use forks. It is necessary to dig up to a depth of at least 10 cm. This will destroy all the insects that hid in the winter.
Gooseberries.The first sign of the presence of an insect in a plant is the cobwebbed fruit and brushes. In the flowers, the adults lay eggs, from which hatch a bright green caterpillar with a black head. In this case, the fruits are still infected at the stage of growth and formation, and not ripe. They begin to rot and dry.
To prevent these unfavorable circumstances, it is necessary:
- To destroy the cocoons of an insect, you need to carefully dig up the soil in the fall.
- Under the bush you need to make peat or compost (mulching).
- In late autumn, gooseberries need to be hilled.
- During flowering it is necessary to spray gooseberries with infusions of makhorka, onion, tansy, mustard, wood ash. The same measures are repeated two more times with an interval of 14 days.
- After the flowering process, at the stage of fetal formation, it is necessary to treat gooseberries with lepidocid or bitoxybacillin.
If there are signs of cobwebbing, you need to remove these parts of the plant and destroy them.
Willow Shield. This harmful insect in most cases occurs in areas with a cold climate. The insect shields are like a spray of a lime solution. Under the veil of these formations are females and eggs of red-violet color. For the winter, the larvae die, but come to life at the time of flowering of gooseberries. They feed from the juice of the plant through a long proboscis.
To get rid of this parasite, you need:
- Cut severely damaged shoots with further destruction (can be burned).
- To whitewash the bark of the bush with slaked lime in early spring.
- After the flowering period of gooseberry, it is necessary to spray the bush with a copper-soap composition.
- A brush should be used to clean the bark of the branches from the larvae.
Running gooseberry aphid. They are manifested mainly on young shoots. They have the appearance of small green, black and gray bugs, which plentifully cover the branch, destroying the plant. Shoots, under the influence of parasitic creatures, deform, and the leaves become twisted and dull.
The main means of fighting aphids is a solution of laundry soap, water and soda ash. The proportions should be kept as follows: for 10 liters of water you need,% of soda ash and about 40 grams of laundry soap. Apply the solution by watering or copious spraying of the plant.
The most reliable drugs for spraying gooseberry plants are Iskra, Fitoverm, Karbofos.
Diseases and pests of gooseberries are manifested mainly at the time of active growth and development of gooseberry. The gardener needs to be very careful during this period (early spring and May / June boundary).
How to deal with gooseberry diseases?
Diseases of gooseberries need to be treated quickly, otherwise the bush can be completely lost, and all efforts made to grow it will be in vain. How to deal with gooseberry diseases?
If the first signs of the disease are found, the following substances should be used:
- Copper and iron chloride, as well as Bordeaux liquid. As a result of spraying gooseberries, the symptoms of the disease become dull, and the disease recedes.
- To combat septoriosis, it is necessary to use sulphate manganese, zinc and boron. These substances increase resistance to the onset of the disease.
- To cure gooseberry from anthracnose, it is necessary, at its first signs, to treat the leaves with a solution of copper sulfate. It can be prepared from 10 liters of water and 40 grams of substance. Strongly affected leaflets should be cut off better.
- Defeat the goblet rust can Bordeaux fluid. It is necessary to treat the leaves once before the bud opening, then 8-10 days a second time.
- To get rid of powdery mildew, it is necessary to introduce into the soil around the bush solutions of boron, zinc, sulphate manganese and copper.
Diseases of gooseberry in pictures can be seen in the previous section of the article.