In conditions of budget savings, making furniture with your own hands from pallets is a worthy alternative to the purchased one. Finished products made from raw, rough but durable boards can withstand a lot of weight and will be an original addition to your home or garden.
When using transport wooden pallets for furniture assembly, financial costs are minimal. All you need is imagination and some free time. And what can be made and what materials will be needed for this - we will tell about all this in our article.
The content of the article:
Features of the use of wooden pallets
- Where can I get pallets?
- Pallet selection recommendations
- Benefits of pallet furniture
- How to prepare the material?
Furniture from wooden pallets in the interior
- Option # 1 - upholstered furniture
- Option # 2 - dining and coffee tables
- Option # 3 - bar counter
- Option # 4 - terrace furniture
- Assembling a sofa with drawers
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Features of the use of wooden pallets
Pallets are transport containers designed for storage, warehousing and movement of goods weighing up to 1 ton. They are made of wood, plastic, metal, cardboard. For the assembly of furniture, wooden pallets are used - these are two-tier structures made of untreated wood with high strength and durability. The weight of one unit ranges from 15 to 20 kg.
Depending on the purpose, they have the following dimensions:
- euro pallet - 120x80x12 cm;
- standard pallet - 120x100x12 cm.
Today pallets are non-trivial interior and landscape design items. Their ability to withstand a weight of up to 1 ton allows the use of storage systems and cabinets as functional elements.
A properly assembled pallet cabinet withstands heavy loads, making it suitable for storing a tool or a set of tires
Environmental friendliness of the material and low cost have become the key to the high popularity of wooden pallets among designers. Loft, grunge or eco-interior - furniture made of wooden pallets will organically complement any of these styles.
Inspiration and interesting ideas can be gleaned from collections based on pallets. Complementing and modifying ready-made solutions, you will create original and functional pieces of furniture that are distinguished by their durability and strength.
It is recommended to complement furniture made of pallets with upholstered seats and decorative cushions. This will make the interior look more comfortable.
Where can I get pallets?
Despite the reliability of the structure, wooden pallets are regarded by manufacturers as a consumable material. Depending on the conditions of use, pallets can be discarded after just one use.
You can purchase pallets as follows:
- Contact the transport company or manufacturer directly. Many of them are ready to provide pallets free of charge so as not to deal with their storage and disposal.
- Find sellers of used pallets online. Their cost can vary from 30 to 200 rubles. for a unit.
If there is nowhere to buy a used container, you can make it yourself from 15-20 mm thick boards and 70x70 mm beams. First you need to calculate the dimensions of the future piece of furniture, cut the boards into blanks, fasten them to the beams.
Pallet selection recommendations
Choosing used pallets, the question arises about the quality criteria. There are several varieties on the market. In addition to the state, they differ in size and strength. It is recommended to purchase stamped pallets EPAL or EUR. They meet all safety requirements.
Pallets made in America and Canada are more reliable due to the high quality wood. But with proper processing, domestic products are not inferior.
When choosing pallets, pay attention not only to the marking, but also to their condition. There should be no cracks or chips on them.
Benefits of pallet furniture
Do-it-yourself pieces of furniture - an original and budget solution for arranging a summer cottage plot or adjoining territory, allowing you to embody fantasies and independently create a full-fledged set.
In addition to low cost and ease of manufacture, pallet furniture has a number of advantages:
- Reliability. Thanks to the high strength of solid wood, pallet furniture will last much longer than made of chipboard.
- Practicality. By changing the modification of the pallet, you can get any item: a table, a chaise longue, an armchair, a wardrobe or a sofa.
- Relevance. Eco and Loft Styles actively occupy leading positions in the field of design. Massive pallet furniture will be an ideal solution for home improvement in this direction.
- Environmental friendliness. Packaging pallets are not treated with synthetic mixtures and impregnations. They do not pose a danger to human health.
Things made with your own hands are of greater value than those made in an industrial environment.
How to prepare the material?
Assembly and disassembly of pallets does not require any special skills. Depending on the final goal, their shape can be modified, supplemented with other materials or equipped with roller wheels.
The preparatory process should begin with measuring and cleaning the pallets from dust and dirt. If the planned furniture has non-standard dimensions, the pallets must be disassembled, in parallel sorting the boards by size and condition.
The next stage is grinding the embossed surface. The best way is to use a grinder.
If you don't have a sander, you can use sandpaper, but the process will take longer. Hand sanding can be accelerated by choosing paper that is highly abrasive
You need to work in a ventilated area, wearing goggles and a mask. It is not necessary to sand all surfaces. It is enough to be limited to the facial and those that will be in contact with the body.
If the furniture will be used outdoors, its components must be treated with moisture-proof compounds. You can use a water-repellent outdoor primer.
After that, all that remains is to purchase fasteners and select fittings, think over the color scheme and design of the furniture. Each element should organically continue the concept of the interior. It is recommended to complement armchairs and sofas with soft pillows, and tables with glass or wooden tabletops.
Wooden furniture pallet in the interior
Pallet furniture sets will always be relevant on an open terrace or backyard area. If they are supposed to be used indoors, it is worth deciding whether they are suitable for a particular interior.
Such furniture is appropriate for interiors in style country, loft, provence or grunge. Scandinavian and industrial styles, tending towards naturalness and the use of natural materials, can also be complemented by pallet elements.
The interior, designed in minimalism, high-tech style or luxurious classics, does not allow the use of headsets from pallet. Smooth glossy surfaces, strict lines and laconic forms do not go well with untreated wood.
Natural materials are the best companion for wooden pallet furniture. You can make one piece of furniture or a whole set
From pallets, you can make both simple elements - bedside tables, poufs, shelves or resting places for pets, and more complex ones - sofas, beds, armchairs or sun loungers. The final result is limited only by imagination and the availability of free time.
Disassembling wooden pallets into components, you can use them to make accessories and decorative items. A vase, a frame for a mirror or a frame for a picture - natural wood will become a highlight of the interior.
Option # 1 - upholstered furniture
From wooden pallet you can make sofas, armchairs, ottomans, beds. For an Asian-style interior, with a characteristic low berth arrangement, one tier of pallets can be used.
Classic European version - stapled in two or three levels pallets, on which the orthopedic mattress is laid. Inside the base, you can equip drawers for storing linen.
Option # 2 - dining and coffee tables
The easiest way to use pallets - table making. For the base and sides, 3-4 pallets are required. A wooden, stone or glass tabletop is laid on top of the structure. For a family dining table, you will need 6-7 units.
Low 2-3 tiered tables are typical of the Japanese style, higher ones are Provence, country or loft
Option # 3 - bar counter
To make a small bar counter, you will need 3 pallets and material for the countertop. This option is often found in modern restaurants and bars.
In a house or apartment, a pallet rack is suitable for kitchens or living rooms made in eco- and industrial, loft and Provence style
Option # 4 - terrace furniture
A summer cottage or terrace can be ennobled by installing several massive flower boxes made from pallets. If the area of the estate allows, it would be a great idea to place a barbecue area. It is important to process wooden pallets heat-resistant composition.
Another option for using pallets is to equip a suspended swing. Due to the strength of the material, both adults and children can use it. You can place soft pillows or drawstring seats on top.
To install a garden swing, you need to purchase high-quality and durable ropes or chains. The safety of the structure depends on their reliability.
Wooden sun loungers can also be made from pallets with your own hands. They will become an indispensable attribute for sunbathing by the pool or patio.
Assembling a sofa with drawers
The pallet design assumes free space between two bases. By using it, you can significantly increase the functionality of the finished product. A sofa equipped with drawers will provide additional storage space. A master class on manufacturing will be presented below.
List of tools and materials:
- pallets - 6 pcs. (it is recommended to have 2 spare);
- plywood sheets - 2 pcs.;
- grinder, if you have never used a grinder, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with operating rules;
- drill, screwdriver;
- corners and boards for fastening elements;
- varnish or paint for wood;
- roller or brushes;
- fittings for boxes;
- ready-made system of hidden guides (if drawers are expected);
- wheels for the product - 4 pcs.
You will also have to pick up decorative elements: foam cushions or special seats, textile fabric for upholstery.
Pallets must be thoroughly cleaned and sanded. You can only work with surfaces that users have to come into contact with during operation
The initial stage of assembling a sofa on wheels with drawers:
- Four pallets will be used as the base of the sofa. Two of them are laid face down, fastened with corners and boards. 2 more pallet fastened together in a similar way.
- The fifth pallet must be cut into two equal parts. The back of the product will be made of them.
- The slots in the pallet can be repaired with cut-out pieces of boards, attaching them with beams from the inside.
All prepared elements must be carefully primed. After it dries, you can start painting or varnishing. To obtain a rich color, it is recommended to paint the elements in several layers.
After final drying, it is necessary to equip the workpiece with legs or wheels. They are attached to the bottom of the sofa. It is recommended to purchase variants equipped with brakes. You can find them in a hardware or furniture store. Legs can be made independently from pieces of timber.
We continue to build:
- It is necessary to fasten together 2 previously prepared pairs of pallets. It is important to check the reliability of the connection. Applying wood glue to the joints will further strengthen the finished structure.
- Parts palletsawn for the backrest must be connected with fasteners using a screwdriver.
- The side pieces or armrests are made from planks and attached to the base.
An alternative is to cut the pallet into small pieces and make armrests out of them.
Drawers can also be fitted in the armrests of the sofa. They can be used as a minibar
To create drawers, you need to measure the free space in the pallet used for the base, leaving clearance for the installation of the rail system.
The order of assembling boxes:
- In accordance with the measurements obtained, outline the plywood sheets and cut out the elements. Connect them with glue. The bottom of the box can be additionally reinforced with a stiffener. If it is supposed to store heavy things, the bottom can be made of chipboard.
- Install the system of guides to the boxes and the inner part of the base of the pallet.
- Attach the prepared fittings to the boxes, insert them into the holes.
The ergonomic sofa with drawers is ready. It will be an excellent option both for indoor placement and on an open terrace or balcony. At the final stage, you need to unfold the soft seats and decorate it with decorative pillows.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Detailed parsing process pallet into the constituent elements and the assembly of a small bench from them:
A simple option for making a two-seater sofa from pallets:
Bar counter from pallet, the necessary tools and step-by-step manufacturing technology:
Pallet furniture looks unusual and stylish. Well-executed, it will become an alternative to the traditional options sold in showrooms. These headsets are practical, reliable and ergonomic. Decorated with decorative elements and soft pillows, they diversify the interior, create a special flavor and comfort.
Have you assembled original pallet furniture with your own hands? Share your experience with our readers - tell us what turned out to be the most difficult for you and what other items do you plan to make? Are you satisfied with the result? Leave your comments below the article. You can also add original photos of homemade furniture here.