Lentils are healthy food. Probably the fastest cooking from the whole family of legumes. After all, it does not require soaking before preparing it. Well compatible with a variety of foods or seasonings, has a high nutritional value, is available throughout the year. Lentils are nutritious, rich in antioxidants, selenium, vitamins, which strengthen the immune system. How to cook lentils correctly? Below are tips on cooking..
- Useful properties of lentils
- Basic Steps Step by Step
- With what lentils are compatible
- So that lentils do no harm
Useful properties of lentils
Like other legumes, lentils contain anti-carcinogenic substances of vegetable origin, rich in protein, iron, folic acid, fiber, which is very useful for the digestive system and heart. High protein content makes it an excellent substitute for meat.
Lentils are of different varieties, the main difference is in the color of grains. Red is by far the fastest in cooking, it is often used in Indian cuisine. However, green, brown varieties are more nutritious than red ones.
Basic Steps Step by Step
- Rinse the grains under running water, go through them - if necessary, remove the crushed, wrinkled grains or small garbage.
- 1 glass of dry lentils requires 2 a glass of water.
- Bring the water to a boil, put the washed seeds in a pot of water. Salt do not add yet! Let him leave for 2-3 minutes. Then reduce the heat to a minimum, cover the pan with a lid, but leave it a little ajar so that the water does not boil off very quickly.
- Check the pan from time to time to make sure that the water does not drop below the level of lentils. Add water as needed.
- When it softens and can easily be mashed with a fork in mashed potatoes - it is ready. Usually it takes about 30-45 minutes.
- Lentils, which you have kept for a long time, do not lose its nutritional properties, it will simply be cooked longer.
- Do not mix fresh lentil kernels with old ones. They will be prepared unevenly.
- Grains of red varieties are cooked faster - about 20 minutes, not more.
- Salt should be 15 minutes before the end of cooking. If you put salt in a pan at the beginning of cooking, then the cooking time will double.
When the lentil is cooked until ready, turn off the fire. Cover the pan tightly with a lid. Let it take 5-10 minutes. During this time, it absorbs excess water, become juicier, more tender. Actually, it's not necessary, but I do it - I like it that way..
With what lentils are compatible
- Add the diced potatoes - it will be cooked on time as much as lentils. It may be necessary in this case to add water, but you can do this during cooking.
- Add the spices along with the salt. Powder curry, ground cumin, garlic, ground red pepper, coriander - everything goes well with lentils. Spices can be added at any time, but the earlier you add them, the more seasoned the taste and aroma will get your dish.
- Lentils are usually used to make soups, stews. Green or brown varieties keep their shape pretty well. If they are not digested, they can be added, for example, to salads. For these purposes, it is enough to cook it for 10-15 minutes.
- Cooked lentils can be stored in an airtight container in a refrigerator for 4-5 days.
So that lentils do no harm
Lentils, like any legumes, in many people cause... flatulence. Add 1-2 pieces of cloves to the water - this problem will not affect you. In addition, the carnation will add to your lentils a delicate aroma that perfectly fits the taste of the prepared dish..