- General recommendations
- 6 variants of kitchen layouts 12 sq.m. meters
Kitchen area of 12 square meters. meters is good for its compactness and at the same time capacity. Here you can not only equip a full dining room and work area, but also put a bar, sofa or apply a non-standard layout. In this material you will find 7 useful tips, ideas for repair and design, as well as photo-examples of the 6 most common variants of kitchen layouts 12 sq. M. meters.
Tip 1. Design the interior in light colors
Despite the fact that the kitchen area of 12 square meters. meters can not be called small, the effect of visual expansion of space here does not hurt.
- In order for the kitchen to appear more spacious and lighter, it is enough to decorate the interior in mostly light colors (at least in proportion: with other colors). So, for example, the ceiling, kitchen furniture and facades of the headset can be white, the walls - light gray, and the floor - the shade of the bleached oak. But as an accent and in the decor you can use any bright or dark shades.
For more information on the combination of colors, see our section.
Tip 2. If there is a desire and opportunity, make a redevelopment
Most often, in the kitchen 12 square. meters there is no sense to carry out repairs with re-planning, because this is a very long, troublesome and expensive process, besides it is not always possible.
But if you want to get away from the typical solutions and make the kitchen more spacious, then during the renovation you can combine the kitchen with the living room, hallway or insulated balcony. Read more about the coordination of redevelopment with housing inspectorates in a separate article..
To combine the kitchen with the living room you can:
- Completely remove the partition between them;
- Make in the wall an arched or just a wide opening.
And you can increase the kitchen by reducing the adjacent living room. For this it is required to demolish the old partition and erect a new one.
An example of a design of a combined kitchen-living room, where the kitchen area is 12 square meters. m, and sofa area - 20 square meters. m., is presented in the photo below (see!).
To combine the kitchen with a balcony you can:
- Remove only the window and the balcony door from the partition. On the remaining window-sill, you can organize a bar counter, a working area, build a cupboard. The balcony itself can become a winter garden, a storage room, a mini-bar or a dining room.
- Remove the window sill and insert the French window into the opening as shown in the photo below. This method will let more light into the kitchen, make the interior more interesting and facilitate access to the balcony.
Tip 3. In the planning of the kitchen, observe the rule of the "working triangle"
To the kitchen turned out to be convenient for cooking, the three main points - a sink, a refrigerator and a stove - need to be placed next to each other (but not too much!).
- The first thing you need to determine the place where there will be a "wet point that is, a sink, because its place is almost always unchanged (although, if desired, to transfer or extend the communication quite really). Near the sink you need to place a dishwasher.
- The plate should be placed at least 50 cm from the sink. This space can be made a working area.
- Then find the place for the fridge. It should also not stand too close to the stove and sink (the minimum distance is 50 cm).
- Do not forget about the oven. It is also better to place near the "working triangle for example, under the hob or in the high module (eye level) near the refrigerator.
On the forms of the headset and the various layout options, we will describe later in a separate chapter with photo-examples.
Tip 4. Choose a built-in and roomy furniture
To use the potential of the kitchen to the maximum, the suite should choose built-in and roomy. The roominess of furniture is especially important in case you want to emphasize the dining area by reducing the working area.
- It is desirable that the lower tier consist of draw-out drawers, and not of swinging lockers. This will allow you to quickly find the right dishes or products and accommodate more large utensils.
- If the height of the room is 0 0 m, then you can design the headset to the ceiling height by the third tier or the enlarged second. This configuration of furniture will allow you to store more things or hide the ventilation box. An example of a headset with a third tier is presented in the photo.
Tip 5. Choose a built-in home appliances of small or medium size
Household appliances, including a refrigerator, are also desirable for an embedded type. Kitchen area of 12 square meters. meters can be equipped with a full set of equipment - from the washing machine to the wine cabinet.
- But that the working area of the kitchen does not turn out to be too big, try not to buy too large equipment and appliances that you do not really need. So, for example, for a family of 3 people, a narrow dishwasher (45 cm) will replace a standard dishwasher.
And if you want to choose a layout with an emphasis on the dining area or you just rarely cook, then it's worth picking up the technique and at all in mini format. It can be a plate with two or three burners, a small oven with a microwave function or a refrigerator with a capacity of 120 liters, which can be installed under the countertop.
Council 6. Arrange a beautiful and spacious dining area
Kitchen design 12 sq. M. meters involves the placement of a full-fledged dining area. Here are some tips to take into consideration when choosing furniture and layout:
- If the working area of the kitchen occupies half the space or more, then the dining area is better furnished with light and functional furniture for 4 persons. For example, a folding table, in case of arrival of guests, and light compact chairs. Another great idea is the kitchen corner with drawers for storing things under the seat.
- If the kitchen layout is given priority to the dining area, then you can choose a table of any shape for 4-6 people and complement it with any chairs, even with high backs and soft upholstery.
- Remember that the distance from the table to another furniture or wall should be at least 90 cm.
In any case, do not miss the opportunity to equip the dining room really beautifully and even out of the ordinary, because the kitchen's footage allows you. For example, instead of a pair of chairs you can put an elegant sofa, make a set of garden or restored old furniture with a story.
Council 7. Think about a layout that is convenient for you
Correctly chosen layout of the kitchen will allow you not to sacrifice the functionality or beauty of the kitchen interior. Depending on your needs and the shape of the room, you can choose the following types of layouts:
- Single row;
- Double row;
- L-shaped (angular);
- Planning with the island.
Variants of kitchen layout 12 sq. M. meters
Of course, there are a lot of variations with the arrangement of furniture, but these 6 types are the most common. More details on their features are suggested in the next chapter with illustrative examples.
6 variants of kitchen layouts 12 sq.m. meters
One-row layout assumes the arrangement of a kitchen set along one wall. This option is especially relevant for small and narrow kitchens, the width of which does not exceed 2 meters. In this case, the working area is located along a deaf short or long wall, and the dining group is placed closer to the window or on the opposite side to the headset.
Kitchen design 12 sq. M. with a single-row layout and a buffet can be seen in the photo below (scroll).
L-shaped (angular) lay-out
Corner kitchen is the most universal, and therefore the most common planning solution. It is good that it uses a corner, creates a space convenient for cooking and allows you to clearly distinguish the dining area. Particularly relevant is the L-shaped layout in the kitchens of the square shape.
The photo shows the design of corner kitchen area of 1 square meters (kitchen area takes up space to the balcony, the living room area has an area of 20 square meters. m).
Two-row (parallel) arrangement of furniture is more suitable for narrow and elongated kitchens, the width of which is not less than, meters. In this case, part of the headset with a sink, work place and stove is placed near one wall, and refrigerator, storage module and, possibly, a microwave oven is placed on the to the opposite side. The dining area is located at one of the walls. Furniture and equipment can be combined in different ways, but the principle of their arrangement remains the same.
Below is the interior of the kitchen 12 sq. M. meters with a two-row layout.
More details in the material: How to equip a two-row kitchen-galley
The U-shaped layout is also suitable for kitchens wider than, meters and is good in that it uses two angles at once, allows you to cook, making minimum movements. But to realize in a typical kitchen such a solution will be somewhat more difficult, because you will at least have to remodel the windowsill, can be raised the level of the window opening (which is not always possible), and also to ensure the passage of heat from the radiator to the window. As a maximum, you will need to reschedule or extend the communications if you want to move the sink to the window. Keep in mind that placing the slab under the window is prohibited. As for the arrangement of the dining group, then with the U-shaped layout you can limit yourself only to the bar counter (it can be part of the letter P), place compact furniture or even take it out to another room, for example, a dining room or living room.
A few examples of design kitchen area of 12 square meters. meters with a U-shaped layout, see the next photo compilation.
C-shaped layout is a variation of the U-shaped scheme. You can apply it in a room with a width of 0-0 meters. Since the C-shaped kitchen implies the location of the bar counter or a small table in the form of a continuation of the headset, then for a large family it, unfortunately, is not suitable. However, if the apartment has a separate dining room, then the C-shaped kitchen will be an ideal choice.
Theoretically on 12 squares of kitchen it is possible to place even a table-island. In this case, the rest of the kitchen furniture is arranged in one row or L-shaped. This layout is very convenient from the point of view of the "working triangle especially if you transfer a plate or a sink to an island. However, island cuisine excludes the possibility to equip a spacious dining area, so this option is also suitable only for bachelors and, say, couples without children, as well as in the case if a kitchen is connected to the living room or there is a dining room in the house as shown on the picture.
- . 5 layout options for a kitchen area of 11 square meters. meters.
- . Kitchen design 10 sq.m. m.
- . Design and layout of the kitchen area of 13 square meters. meters.
- . 8 examples of kitchens with an area of 14 square meters. meters.
- . Design kitchen area of 15 square meters. meters.
- . Kitchen design 8 sq. M. m in seven steps.