Features of selection, operation and repair of coolers
The times when drinking water from the tap was tasty and useful and it could be drunk without additional filtration, long gone. At present, the quality of water supply has significantly decreased, and for this reason, in office premises, and also in enterprises and in public places, more and more often began to appear special devices - coolers for water.
1What is a water cooler
- 1.1Principle of operation
1.2Technical characteristics of coolers
- 1.2.1Table: comparison of characteristics of coolers of different models
2Types of water coolers
- 2.1Table: Advantages and disadvantages of coolers of different types
- 2.2Coolers with electronic cooling
2.3Coolers with compressor cooling
- 2.3.1Table: Advantages and disadvantages of electronic and compressor coolers
- 3.1Flow Cooler Diagram
- 3.2Cooler circuit with compressor cooling
- 4Recommendations for choosing a cooler
5Cooler repair by own hands
- 5.1Disassembly of the cooler
5.2Main cooler malfunctions
- 5.2.1Video: water cooler does not work - independent diagnostics
- 5.2.2Water does not heat up sufficiently
- 5.2.3Video: cleaning the cooler at home
- 5.2.4Video: TEN check
5.3The cooler does not turn on
- 5.3.1Video: cleaning the cooler
5.4The water acquired a bitter taste
- 5.4.1Table: the schedule for replacing the filters in the cooler
What is a water cooler
A cooler is a device designed to provide employees and visitors to businesses, offices, city and private companies, as well as other objects with cold and hot water. It is a structure consisting of a container with drinking water (usually a plastic bottle with a capacity of 19 to 30 liters), a dispenser, a connecting pipe and a non-return valve.
Principle of operation
After the tank is connected, the liquid enters the distribution system of the dispenser, consisting of tanks for storage of cold and hot water. First of all, the liquid enters the tank for cold water, from where it is fed through the connecting pipe to the boiler, where hot water is prepared. A non-return valve is installed between the two tanks, which balances the system pressure and prevents the intersection of water flows.
Technical characteristics of coolers
The main parameters by which coolers for water differ are:
- power of heating and cooling water;
- heating and cooling performance;
- cooling technology;
- way of loading the container with water.
Table: comparison of characteristics of coolers of different models
|Cooling / heating power, W||Capacity for cooling / heating, l / h||Cooling technology||Method of loading a container with water|
|HotFrost V 802 CE||80/420||1/5||electronic||upper|
|SMixx 178 L||90/500||3/5||compressor||upper|
|HotFrost V 127 S||120/420||2/5||compressor||upper|
Types of water coolers
Water coolers are divided into several types, depending on the installation method and cold water supply mode.
- Outdoor coolers. Operate from a 220 V network and are installed on a flat and flat floor surface. The upper front panel of any device has an indicator board on which the information on the selected operating mode, that is, about what water is being supplied at the moment - hot or cold. Some models of outdoor coolers are equipped with an ozonation camera, which allows for disinfection of cutlery and dishes.
- Desktop coolers. They are a classic version of a bottled dispenser. The devices are a construction consisting of a large plastic base and a water tank with a volume of 18 to 30 liters. Before placing the desktop cooler, check the surface strength It is planned to install the device, since it has quite a lot of weight and can fall during operation.
- Flowing dispensers. In flow-type coolers, water does not come from removable portable tanks, but from the general water supply system. In such devices, an integrated cleaning system is provided, the principle of operation of which is similar to that of domestic water filters installed under the sink in the kitchen. In addition, some models can incorporate ultraviolet lamps, designed to combat harmful microorganisms.
If you plan not to use the device for a long time, it should be disconnected from the power supply.
Table: Advantages and disadvantages of coolers of different types
Depending on the cooling technology used, coolers come in two types: electronic and compressor.
Coolers with electronic cooling
The work of coolers with an electronic cooling system is based on the passage of an electric current through conductors that cool down at their junction points.
- the cooling rate is about 3 l / h;
- reliability and environmental friendliness. In devices of this type, freon is not used, so they have no problems with refrigerant leakage;
- light weight and low cost.
Coolers with compressor cooling
Coolers with a compressor cooling system function due to the use of refrigerant - freon, which is also used in refrigerators.
Features of compressor coolers:
- durability and strength;
- high performance;
- the possibility of adjusting the cooling temperature.
Table: Advantages and disadvantages of electronic and compressor coolers
|With electronic cooling||
|With compressor cooling||
The scheme and structure of the cooler depends on its type and purpose, as well as on the technology of water filtration.
Flow Cooler Diagram
Flowing water cooler consists of a four-stage filter, an ultraviolet lamp, tanks for hot and cold water with the appropriate elements (heating and cooling). The use of a large number of filters and a UV lamp is due to the fact that a water supply system (water pipe) is used as a source of water. They interfere with the process of reproduction of viral and bacterial particles.
Cooler circuit with compressor cooling
Cooler with compressor cooling consists of the following components:
- Sediment Filter - produces water purification from 90% of suspended particles larger than 5 μm;
- carbon pre-filter (Carbon Pre-Filter) - removes chlorine and organic chemicals, and improves the taste of water;
- UF Membrane Filter or RO Membrane Filter - clean water from bacteria, viruses, fine particles, dissolved minerals and salt crystals;
- post carbon filter (Post Carbon Filter) - removes smells, flavors and organic substances left after passing through the reverse osmosis membrane or ultrafiltration membrane;
- containers and taps for hot and cold water supply;
- compressor - creates the pressure necessary to convert the refrigerant into a liquid and its further evaporation with the absorption of excess heat;
- Increasing pump - sets the pressure to ensure optimum system performance.
Recommendations for choosing a cooler
The choice of a drinking cooler is a fairly important step, since the quality of the water and, consequently, the health of people will depend on its type and device. When choosing a cooler, you should focus on the following characteristics:
- The size of the apparatus.
- Filtration technology. Most preferred is a device with a multi-stage water purification system.
- The presence of an ultraviolet lamp, especially if it is assumed that children will drink water.
- The water temperature inside the device. It is better if it is +98 oC for hot water and +4 oC for cold water. An additional advantage is the possibility of temperature control.
- The presence of additional functions: protection from children, dispenser, timer (programming the cooler for automatic on / off).
Cooler repair by own hands
Despite the fact that the water cooler is a household appliance, it is designed for long-term use and therefore requires periodic maintenance and sometimes repair. To carry out these works the device is often required to disassemble.
Disassembly of the cooler
In order to disassemble the cooler, you need to do the following:
- Take the figured screwdriver and unscrew the screws.
- Remove the rear cover.
Further analysis depends on the type of malfunction.
Main cooler malfunctions
During operation, various malfunctions can arise, from elementary ones, which can be corrected independently, and ending with complex, associated with the breakdown of electromechanical components.
Video: water cooler does not work - independent diagnostics
Water does not heat up sufficiently
The weakening of the heating may be due to the fact that during the operation in the hot water tank, scale. In order to check the presence or absence of scale, you need to do the following:
- Open the back cover of the cooler.
- Find a container for heating water (usually it is located at the top of the apparatus).
- Remove the drain plugs (depending on the model, there may be one or two) and drain the remaining water.
- Take the key number 15 and use it to remove the rubber seal.
- Using a small figured screwdriver, unscrew the four screws (under the seal).
- Take the cutting pliers and gently cut off the clamp from the nozzle and the other connecting tubes.
- Disconnect the power and ground wires (by unscrewing the screws) and then remove the temperature sensor.
- Disassemble the disconnected heating capacity.
- Check the presence of paste in the installation area. If it is missing, then update it by applying a small thin layer.
- Take the dismantled container and clean it from the fiberglass coating (it may be missing).
- Open the lid, biting, if necessary, the clamps that attach it to the body.
- Using a toothbrush or a small brush, moistened in citric acid, clean the inner surface of the tank from scale.
Video: cleaning the cooler at home
In addition, you should check the heater (thermoelectric heater), as damage to its integrity or a decrease in resistance can also lead to a deterioration in the quality of water heating.
- Remove the heating element from the heating tank.
- Conduct a visual inspection for the presence / absence of microcracks.
- If they are not available, measure the resistance and call the element with a multimeter. In order to check whether the current resistance of the element corresponds to the nominal (working) resistance, the following operations should be performed:
- calculate the nominal resistance by the formula R = U2 / P, where U is the mains voltage (usually equal to 220 V), P is the heating power of the cooler (W). For example, at a power of 420 W we get that R = 220 * 220/420 = 48400/420 = 11.3 Ohm;
- switch on the multimeter and put it into the resistance measurement mode (200 Ω range);
- disconnect the wires from the heater;
- touch the terminals of the multimeter of the element terminals (observing the polarity). With meter readings close to or equal to 11, Ohm, we can conclude that the heater is faultless. If the multimeter shows the values 0 (internal closure of the electric heater), 1 or ∞ (break), then the heater should be replaced with a new one;
- switch the multimeter into the continuity mode and check the breakdown of the heater on the housing, for which one probe (red) is connected to the terminal of the heater, and the second one to the housing of the element. If there is no breakdown, the multimeter will not beep, if the buzzer beeps, the heater has a breakdown to the case, it needs to be replaced.
- Collect the cooler in the reverse order.
Video: TEN check
The cooler does not turn on
Partial or complete loss of functionality of the cooler, as well as an unpleasant taste of water, may appear due to accumulated dirt. In order not to bring the device to a failed state, it is necessary to carry out its monthly cleaning from dust. Before you start this process, remember that four things are prohibited: washing the cooler under a tap or shower, installing the device in dishwasher, disinfection using a steam cleaner, and the use of abrasive detergents (powders and solvents).
In order to clean and disinfect the cooler, you need to do the following:
- Disconnect the unit from the mains.
- Take an antibacterial (wet) napkin and wipe the cooler body.
- Drain the remaining liquid from the tank with water and remove it.
- Consistently drain the water from both faucets.
- Remove the plug from the drain hole located on the bottom of the cooler (in some models it may be inside the device behind the back cover) and pour out the remaining water.
- Screw the plug into place.
- Turn the tank holder with water counterclockwise and remove it.
- Prepare a solution of citric acid (100 grams for 5 liters of water) and pour it into the hole. You can use the "Bior 1" (25 grams per liter of water). When using this product, it is strictly forbidden to heat up, as this can damage the heating element and the reservoir.
- Make sure that both containers are fully filled. To do this, you need to open the faucets - water should flow out with a smooth continuous stream.
- Connect the cooler to the network and turn it on. Wait for the water to warm up and turn off the device from the mains.
- Wait 5-6 hours for the acid to disinfect the cooler from the inside.
- Drain the water first from the faucets, and then through the drain hole.
- Unscrew both valves and clean the internal cavities of the faucets with a brush moistened with an Anticlin washing spray.
- Rinse the taps with clean water and put them back in place.
- Fill the cooler with clean water and drain it in the above sequence (repeat 2-3 times).
- Collect the cooler and put the tank with fresh drinking water.
Video: cleaning the cooler
The water acquired a bitter taste
Reduction of water quality and deterioration of taste can occur not only because of contamination of the apparatus, but also because of the loss of filters by its properties. To replace filters, you need to do the following:
- Take the screwdriver and unscrew the two screws on the rear panel.
- Remove the top cover or open the back cover of the device (depending on the model).
- Disconnect the corner fittings.
- Pull out the old filters and remove the connecting pipes.
- Take new filters and put on each pair of removed fittings.
- Connect the pairs of filters to each other and insert them into the device.
- Connect the cooler tube to the end filters.
- Cover the machine with a lid and screw it with screws.
Most cooler manufacturers recommend sticking to the next filter replacement schedule.
Table: the schedule for replacing the filters in the cooler
|Name of the filter||Frequency of replacement|
|Sedimentary (mechanical)||3-6 months|
|Coal prefilter||3-6 months|
|Reverse Osmosis Membrane||12 months|
|Ultrafiltration membrane||6-12 months|
|UV lamp||12 months|
|Coal post-filter||3-6 months|
On how carefully care is taken for the cooler, much will depend, and most importantly - your health. In order for the device to work properly, it is necessary to follow the recommendations that are described in the user manual and in our review article..