The glitter and shine of gold rings, bracelets and chains attract attention. But over time they grow dull, the attractive shine disappears. To restore the old beauty, you need to clean the gold. And how to do it and not resort to the help of professionals, I will tell below.
Cleaning is important only for beauty, but also for health. Dust, dirt and sebum are accumulated on the jewelry while wearing it. Such deposits, for example, on earrings, can cause an inflammatory process in the ear lobe.
Pure gold is a very soft metal. It can be deformed simply by pressing a finger. Therefore, in order to give hardness, various alloys are added to it:
- To obtain white gold, it is sufficient to add manganese, palladium and nickel.
- Copper adds red to the jewels. The more its content, the brighter the decorations look.
- Yellow gold products are obtained from alloy silver and copper.
- For green, silver and rubidium are added.
- And to get black jewelry, you must cover the surface with rhodium or oxidize an alloy of gold, chromium and cobalt.
Alloys interact with the environment - a chemical reaction occurs. Gold is thereby oxidized, so our jewelery looks dim and darkens.
How to clean the gold?
Some doubt that such actions can be done at home. They prefer to turn to specialists and trust the case only to professionals.
But why spend time and money if you can clean the gold at home quickly and easily? This can be done using:
- improvised materials;
- professional tools.
When cleaning gold should take into account their composition. Some products may not be suitable for a particular type of alloy.
Secret 1. Professional cleaning products
If there is no desire to do cleaning products with their own hands, then you can resort to professional ones.
In jewelry stores special pastes or napkins with impregnation are sold. When buying them, it is worth paying attention to what kind of gold they are intended for. The instructions on the package will help to quickly put in order the decorations.
In addition to pastes and wipes, there is ultrasonic cleaning. You can purchase a small unit and clean the house.
When cleaning with ultrasound it is necessary to be careful with stones, some under its influence may crack.
Secret 2. How to make cleaning with the help of available tools?
The price of professional tools can be high. For the budget option use the available substances that can be found in any hostess.
How to clean gold at home - use the following products:
- hydrogen peroxide;
- onion juice;
It is necessary to remember a few nuances before putting gold jewelry in order:
- Dishes for cleaning should be taken in such a size that the decoration completely covers the solution.
- If there are hard-to-reach places in jewelry, you should use a toothbrush when washing with clean water.
Secret 3. How to purge gold?
For all lovers of jewelry relevant question, what is the purity of gold? The answers to it are painfully simple. Cleaning gold with ammonia is carried out as follows:
- Boil water, pour it into a deep container.
- Then add 1 to it dining room spoon of detergent or washing powder and 1 teaspoon of ammonia solution.
- Stir well to dissolve the powder.
- Then put the product in the resulting product for 2 hours.
- After the time is over, we wash the jewelry with clean water and wipe it with a soft cloth.
You can clean the jewelry with the help of one dishwashing liquid. For this:
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of detergent in a glass of water.
- The resulting solution is poured into dishes that can be heated, and put a rag on its bottom.
- We place there the objects that must be cleaned, and put the dishes on the stove.
- Next, boil the liquid for 10 minutes along with the jewels.
- After that, we wash the jewelry under running water and wipe it with a soft cloth.
To prepare the next solution will need:
- hydrogen peroxide,
- liquid soap,
When everything is ready, proceed to cleaning:
- Heat 1 cup of water until warm.
- Pour everything into a deep dish.
- We add in it on 1 teaspoon of liquid ammonia and liquid soap, 40 ml of hydrogen peroxide. All carefully stir.
- We put there decorations. Leave for 20 minutes.
- Then wash and wipe.
If there is no urgency in cleaning, then you can resort to the method using simple kitchen salt:
- In half a glass of hot water dissolve 3 tablespoons of salt.
- Put the jewels in the brine - for the whole night.
- In the morning we wash out beauty items and wipe them with a soft cloth.
To shine gold as in former times, resort to cleaning with foil. For this method:
- Dissolve a couple of tablespoons of soda in 1 cup of hot water.
- Then put the foil in a deep dish on the bottom.
- Gold products are placed on it and poured with mortar.
- Leave overnight, and in the morning they are washed and wiped with a soft cloth.
You can also make a sweet cleaning solution. For him:
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon of sugar in a glass of warm water.
- Put gold there for the night.
- In the morning, rinse under running water and wipe dry.
Using a conventional toothpaste or tooth powder, you can quickly and efficiently clean a gold bracelet or gold watch:
- We apply toothpaste and clean our jewelry as well as our teeth.
- Only need to take a soft toothbrush.
- The cleaning time will depend on how dirty your jewelry is.
- Toothpaste contains abrasives, but they will not harm gold products.
- Foaming components that make up the paste soften the abrasive.
To clear gold products, even onion juice is used. For this:
- Cut the onion.
- Rub it with jewels.
- Leave in this state for 2-3 hours.
- After a time, wash and wipe.
How to clean various types of gold?
With simple gold ornaments, there is no particular difficulty. But the owners of white or pink gold are experiencing in order not to harm their jewelry. Now we will look at how gold is cleaned in each case.
- For products made of white gold, you must use a soft cloth. To give this color decorations are covered with rhodium. But over time, the coating tends to wear off. To avoid this, you need to seriously approach the issue of care and cleansing. You can use ammonia and detergent.
- For gold products with a matte surface, you should resort to dry cleaning. With this method:
- The product is placed in a 25% ammonia solution.
- Leave for a few hours.
- Then washed and wiped with a soft cloth.
- You should not resort to harsh ways to clean gold-plated jewelry. In the manufacture of their cover with a thin layer of gold. In order to prevent its erasure, it is necessary to wipe them with cotton wool, which must be pre-moistened in beer or wine alcohol. You can also use egg white.
Secret 4. Jewel jewelery cleaning
If you can apply a lot of cleaning products to the gold alloy, then you need to be more careful with the stones. Some of them do not tolerate those tools and methods that are applicable to gold.
How to wash and how to clean such jewelry? Do not worry, the methods listed below do not require much effort and cost.
- Gold jewelry with diamonds or cubic zirconia is cleaned with liquid ammonia or soap solution. Stones can be wiped with a brush.
- Turquoise, coral and pearls need only be wiped with flannel. The application to them of a solution of ammonia is unacceptable.
- For cleaning products with stones, ear sticks are best suited. They are pre-moistened in cologne or a special tool and produce cleansing.
Do not use sharp objects, they can damage the rim.
- Also resort to fabric, which is moistened in an alcohol solution. Then you need to wipe with a damp cloth and give time to dry. This method will quickly remove greasy stains.
For large dirt use a soft toothbrush and gasoline. A brush moistened with gasoline gently removes all contaminants.
Secret 5. Care
In order for gold products to not lose their beauty, it is necessary to carry them properly and care for them. It is necessary to adhere to the following recommendations:
- When cleaning you should not resort to acids and alkalis. Such compounds have a detrimental effect on gold.
- When doing household work is better to remove the product.
- Cannot be stored in cartons. The sulfur contained in them adversely affects the alloy.
- When working with paints or abrasive products, their interaction with the precious metal should be excluded.
- When going to the bathhouse or solarium, you need to remove all the decorations. The temperature difference detrimental effect on the alloy.
- It is recommended to remove the product before applying the cream, body lotion or medical ointment. It is impossible to predict the reaction of the alloy on these funds.
- Do not forget to clean the gold at least 1 time per month.
Gold jewelry is beautiful and attracts the eyes of others. To always look at the highest level, you need to periodically clean your jewelry.
The methods listed above are easy to use and not expensive. With proper storage and regular cleaning, gold products will serve you faithfully for many years.
For more information, watch the video in this article. If you have questions or your own cleaning methods - share them in the comments.