- Where can I hang a sconce?
- General rules
- Choose a diffuser and the direction of light
- Choose practical material and design
- At what height do you hang?
- Installation of sconces before and after repair
- How to hang a sconce in the kitchen
Lighting in the kitchen using not only the chandelier, but also the sconce, looks much better, because in this combination the light is distributed gently and evenly. Competently arrange the light sources and combine ceiling central lighting with the local - a whole art. Designers know how to "play with light given its direction, power, color, brightness of lamps, and the design of the lamps themselves and lampshades. What are the basic rules of "games with light" you need to know if you are yourself a designer?
Where can I hang a sconce?
- To separate the kitchen space, studio apartment or kitchen-living room - with light accents, you can separate the dining area / rest area from the working / kitchen area. In the photo below you can see how in the interior of the kitchen-living room zoning places for food, rest and cooking with wall sconces and chandelier above the table, sconces over the sofa and hanging lamps over the bar rack;
- On a large area, local lamps are needed not only to separate the dining area, but also to create comfortable and uniform lighting. In this case, the wall can be hung along the wall at the same height;
- In the dining room or kitchen-dining room one chandelier is also not enough. In addition, the sconces in this case highlight the pictures, cupboards and add symmetry to the space;
- If the kitchen with low ceilings, then instead of a chandelier it is better to hang a few sconces around the perimeter and in the dining area;
- In general, for small and narrow kitchens is not desirable light only from the central chandelier - this illumination visually narrows the space, expand it will help several points of light from the wall fixtures. Even one sconce above the table can make lighting better;
- To accent any wall decorations, install the sconce above the photos, plates, paintings;
- Above the table top the headset is in case there are no hanging elements in the headset or there are only open shelves that are now in fashion;
- You can also install the sconces on the edges of the hood and on the open sidewall of the cabinet above the sink or stove;
- The place above the bar counter is also an excellent place for sconces;
- Remember that the lower the lamp, the lower the ceiling appears, but also the more comfortable the local lighting will be. And vice versa - the higher the sconce with the light directed upwards, the higher the kitchen will appear;
- If a few sconces are placed at the same height and distance from each other along the perimeter of the walls, the space will visually become wider. In the photo below, an example of how light from a sconce can expand a small kitchen, which, in addition, has narrowing the space of dark walls and part of the facades;
- Chandeliers, floor lamps and, of course, sconces are often produced in accordance with one collection, so that you can decorate the kitchen as a single space. But you can choose a sconce not only complete with a chandelier. The main thing is that the ceiling and wall lamps do not conflict with each other in style, material and color.
Choose a diffuser and the direction of light
- Lamps completely covered with a plafond as in the photo on the left create a soft general lighting;
- If the lamp is covered only by the diffuser, then the direction of light will be more upwards - on the ceiling and the wall, which is more suitable for creating general lighting, rather than local;
- If the lamp is closed from above, then the sconce will illuminate fairly brightly only the space below it. Such local lighting is suitable for lighting the dining or work area. If the light will blind your eyes, replace the ordinary lamp with a matte one;
- The most versatile and common option is the sconce with the direction of light and up, and down, and through the plafond, that is, the diffuser. Such a wall lamp will not blind the eyes, at the same time it will create both general and local lighting in the kitchen.
Choose practical material and design
- Wall light fixtures for the kitchen should be easy to clean, so it is better to refuse fabric shades - from fat particles in the air they will quickly become salted;
- Wooden elements must necessarily have protection in the form of a layer of varnish, and forged - covered with mastic, protecting the metal from grease and impurities;
- Keep in mind that the chrome or gold bracket will get dirty from any touch, and from light spots will be very noticeable, so it is better not to hang such a lamp above the table and in the work area;
- Classic sconces with crystal / glass / plastic are also not worth installing in the work area. And, if you put such lamps on the perimeter of the kitchen, take care of the work of the hood, so that in time the pendants are not covered with fat coating. Since the classic sconces are often made by the type of candles and do not have diffusers, choose matt lamps of the corresponding form;
- When placing a wall lamp over a table, prefer lamps with shades of neutral "warm" shades, so the food will seem more appetizing. But a transparent glass of blue or violet for a shade is not the best solution.
We choose lamps:
- It is also worthwhile to rely on the power of the lamps - too bright room, as well as too dark, will be uncomfortable for the eyes. The norm for a kitchen of ten square meters is 120 watts;
- It is necessary to consider the type of lamps. So, inexpensive incandescent bulbs have low efficiency, and fluorescent lights bright and soft, but can be tiring for the eyes;
- For sconces with a shade or bubble with slits and perforations, transparent light bulbs are best suited. They will create patterns of light and shadows on the ceiling and walls;
- If the wall lamp does not have a diffuser - a lampshade or a lampshade, then the lamp should be with a matte coating;
- If the lighting in the kitchen with the sconce is arranged in the work area, it is optimal to prefer lamps with the light of the cold spectrum (white). If the lamp is placed above the dining table, it is better that it lights up muffled and warm.
At what height do you hang?
- In case you want to abandon the ceiling chandelier or supplement it with several sconces around the perimeter of the kitchen, then the standard height of their fastening to the wall is -2 m from the floor. But this rule is not dogma, the main thing is that you should easily reach out to the lamp switch, but at the same time it should not be at eye level if it shines brightly;
- If the wall is installed above the table or in the dining area above the seats, the optimum height from the floor is a little above the head seated so that the light does not blind the eyes, but you can hang the sconce and at the level of human growth (-2 m).
Installation of sconces before and after repair
Lighting in the kitchen with the installation of the sconce should be thought out in advance.
Provide the location of 2 or more cable outlet points, preferably before or at least during the repair of the kitchen, so that the wiring is hidden in the wall. The best option is to locate the sconces in the design project in the 3D visualization program or in Auto Cad, marking all the sockets, switches and cable outlet points from the wall on a separate layer. Or you can simply draw a wall in scale and mark the desired places for sconces and their switches.
If the repair is already done, then completely hide the wire will not work. But you can close it with a plastic box covered with wallpaper or choose a sconce with a white wire if the wall is light in color and with a black, if dark. Or just accept and fix the wire with decorative clips on the wall and along the baseboard to the outlet so that it looks neater.
How to hang a sconce in the kitchen
It is not difficult to hang a sconce in the kitchen correctly. To do this, you need the lamp itself and a suitable switch, a length of cable for the connection. Among the necessary tools - a screwdriver and a punch, a voltage indicator, a drill and a hammer. Requires and fasteners - dowels and screws.
The process of installing the sconce is to execute the following algorithm:
- Determine the location of the lamp, the height of its location.
- The lamp is completely assembled.
- The electricity is turned off.
- A wall under the fasteners is marked out and the necessary holes are drilled-complete with a scoop there is a special fixing metal plate or bracket.
- In the prepared holes, the dowels are hammered into, on which the bra fastening element hangs.
- The cartridge is connected to the wires. Use a tester to avoid confusing zero and phase.
- The remaining chandelier is attached to the connected cartridge.
- The device is checked for operability.
After the work is finished, you will only have to enjoy a soft and comfortable light.
- . Choose the perfect chandelier for your kitchen.
- . Fixture for the kitchen by own hands - 3 ways and ideas of design on their basis.
- . Wiring in the kitchen with their own hands.
- . LED lighting for the kitchen from A to Z.
- . The choice of lighting under the kitchen cabinets and not only.