There are several ways to connect an old hard drive via USB. The most inexpensive option is to purchase a special adapter. If you want to pack an external drive, you should consider a container (BOX). Finally, special docking stations are used to connect multiple drives - these and other devices are discussed below.
The content of the article
- With a special adapter
- Using containers (BOX)
- Using the docking station
With a special adapter
This is the easiest way that does not require special costs. In this case, the main disadvantage is that the disk is not embedded inside. It is completely open to dust, water, mechanical influences. It is recommended to put it in a hard-to-reach place and cover it, for example, with a bag.
The drive adapter is a standard USB to SATA cable, also called IDE. The device usually has a corresponding marking, as shown in the photo.
To make a connection, you need:
- Connect the drive from the USB of a computer or laptop.
- Open File Explorer on the device.
- If the new disk is not in the "My Computer" section, go to disk management and format it.
- If the disc is displayed, you can use it normally.
You can buy an adapter at any electronics store. And it is worth remembering a few important points:
- Device interface - SATA or IDE options are suitable.
- Disk dimensions (in inches). So, 2.5-inch drives are suitable for laptops, and 3.5-inch for computers. In the latter case, an additional power supply will be required, while in the former it is not required.
- It is also worth bearing in mind that the parts support different interfaces - USB version 2.0 or 3.0. Moreover, they are backward compatible - any type of adapter will work when connected. But 2.0 is about 2-3 times slower, which also needs to be taken into account.
Using containers (BOX)
In this case, the disk is not outside, but inside. Therefore, it is well protected from dust, moisture and other influences. If desired, it is easy to take it with you, for example, with a laptop. The choice of containers is quite large - they are available for both types of interfaces (IDE, SATA), they may have additional power supplies or not. When choosing a device, you need to take into account the thickness of the disk, which is relevant for models of 2.5 inches. The installation process itself is quite simple - the main steps look like this:
- Move the lid aside.
- Install the disk.
- Close the lid and connect to a PC or laptop.
Using the docking station
The best way for those cases when you need to connect not one, but, for example, 2-3 hard drives. This can only be done at home, i.e. stationary option, does not provide for operational transportation. Docking stations are selected depending on their needs, choosing the right port, for example, USB or X-Memory.
In addition, it is worth considering that some docking stations are equipped with slots through which more than 2 drives can be connected. Convenient devices with a wireless connection via Bluetooth, as well as data transfer via Wi-Fi.
Connecting an old disk is possible in different ways. You can choose any option, but it is necessary to take into account the type of connector, the dimensions of the device and the speed of its operation.