Many rabbit breeders are faced with diseases of the ears.Inflammation, formation of scabies, pus, itching and burning sensation when touched- all these are common symptoms of several diseases. How to identify, distinguish, prevent earaches of rabbits and what treatment should be discussed in detail in the proposed article..
Table of contents
- Symptoms of Ear Disease
- Purulent otitis media
- Obstruction of the ears
- Prevention and treatment of ear diseases in rabbits at home
- How to treat psoroptosis and purulent otitis media
- Treatment of frostbite of the ears, folk methods
Symptoms of Ear Disease
The peculiarity of ear diseases of rabbits is a similar symptomatology, which prevents the formulation of a correct and accurate diagnosis.Diseases of the ears are determined by the following visual signs:
- Rabbits constantlyThey scratch their paws, rub their ears about the bars of the cageand other items available;
- Behavior of animals nervous, restless with general weakness, loss of appetite;
- Decreased reproductive functions, in the literature examples are described where, due to constant anxiety caused by a disease of the ears, the rabbits lose interest in the mating;
- Ears of diseased rabbits may fall, and the rabbit's head unnaturally leans forward or to the side.
All these signs are a signal for a more careful examination of the ears of animals. Why does this happen and what should I do? Beginning rabbit breeders will also be useful to know the specific signs of each ear disease, especially since there are only three.
Psoroptosis refers to the number of infectious diseases.Pathogen - tick Psoroptes cuniculi yellow or brownround or oval. The mite lives on the skin of the auricle, so it's very difficult to detect it in the initial stages with a cursory visual examination of the ears.
One of the symptoms of the disease is on the skin of the inner surface of the earsappear scales and small abscesses. The abscesses burst, the pus emerging out is withering, causing the skin to turn into a scab, which gives the rabbits great anguish.
Expressed psoroptosis is detected and visually.Rabbit ears in affected areas swell, covered with scabs and sores, become hotter than the main body mass.
The size of the mites is small, so if desired, it can be seen through a magnifying glass. If the tick is found - you can not doubt, the earworm scab is also a common name for psoroptosis.
For processing, use a conventional plastic syringe without a needle.The solution is applied to the crust, after a thorough massage of the crust should be separated and removed from the auricle. The procedure will reduce the suffering of the pet an order of magnitude.
Purulent otitis media
From psoroptosis distinguish rabbit festering otitis in the initial stages is problematic, since the primary symptoms are identical.Otitis also refers to viral diseases, untimely detection and treatment of this ailment leads to brain damage and the death of the animal.
Feature of otitisin that at the initial stage it can not be visually detected, since the infection spreads behind the tympanic membrane, which is not accessible for external examination. When the disease develops, it is possible to observe excretions and pus that spread through the auricle.
Progressing otitis is also noticeable inviolations of the vestibular apparatus. Rabbit can stumble upon objects located, the head makes unnatural movements from side to side, as if swaying. The eyes of a sick rabbit make constant movements, rotating or moving horizontally.
Obstruction of the ears
Rabbit ears are gentle, so keeping in cold areas is fraught with frostbite of the extremities or ears.Symptoms of frostbite are easily noticeable:
- Ears are cold, swelling, pain when touched;
- Presence of blisters, which burst, forming purulent ulcers - a sign of severe frostbite. In the future, the skin dries up and exfoliates, forming open wounds.
Prevention and treatment of ear diseases in rabbits at home
Prevention of ear infectious diseases, otitis media and psoroptosis should include the following measures:.
- Checking and quarantining, rabbits taken on the side. In practice, infection with a tick occurs most often from newly arrived rabbits. Mix them with the main herd is possible only after a lapse of a month, making sure of their health;
- Increased immunity, the addition of vitamins, which is an effective prophylaxis of otitis media;
- Creating warm and comfortable living conditionswith a normal temperature for rabbits. The ideal temperature for a rabbit is a range of 19 to 25 degrees Celsius;
- Keeping clean, regular cleaning and disinfection.
These measures will reduce the incidence of ear diseases among your pets by an order of magnitude.
If your pets have signs of ear diseases, thentreatment is carried out in the following order:
- Having caught the infectionthe animal must be immediately deposited separately;
- It is necessary preciselyTo determine which infection you are dealing with. Beginning rabbit breeders, or if there is any doubt in the diagnosis, should contact the veterinarian.
How to treat psoroptosis and purulent otitis media
Treatment of psoroptosis is carried out by a combination of local and general medicine. First of all, the mite itself must be destroyed, for which foam and aerosols are used: psoroptol, acrodex, acaromectin, dicresyl, etc.
Local treatment, as a rule, is the same.Spray should be sprayed on the affected area within a few seconds. The procedure is repeated 2-3 times a day, the course of treatment is 5-7 days. After a week, it is desirable to repeat the course, which will consolidate the result.
For systemic treatment and destruction of infectionthe best approach is the preparation of a buymec or a 1% solution of an ivomech. Preparations are injected under the skin, and a single dose is calculated based on the concentration of the drug and the weight of the animal.
Advantages of these drugsin the fact that they actively destroy both the mite itself and the larvae deposited. Usually relief from an animal occurs 2-3 days after the start of the course of treatment.
Treatment of purulent otitis at home is not recommended. Its pathogens can be several cultures of bacteria, which can only be discerned after taking the tests and carefully examining the head and ears of the rabbit.
The treatment should be done quicklyincreased doses of antibiotics, for example, prednozone or albendazole. Correctly to appoint or nominate a dosage and a concrete preparation the veterinarian can only.
Treatment of frostbite of the ears, folk methods
When obmorozheniyah used a proven folk way -Affected areas are lubricated with fat, goose or pig. The main requirement, fat should not contain salt. With severe frostbite, one-percent camphor ointment is very good at healing. They smear only dried places.
A good tool for frostbite actshealing aljusprey. The drug is released in the form of an aerosol, which is applied to the affected area after the primary sanitization (removal of wool, excreted from the wounds of liquid, dead skin).
Summarizing, we note that the implementation of simple preventive measures, as well asisolation of rabbits from extraneous people, animals, hygiene and timely disinfectionIs the best way to prevent the development of ear wounds..