- Repair in the kitchen Chebby Chic
- Kitchen set and dining room
- Decor items
- Where can I buy?
Do you like a simple light kitchen, with a beautiful candelabrum, linen curtains and a tablecloth with frills, flowers in vases, exquisite pieces and vintage furniture?
Then welcome to the kitchen in the style of Shebbie chic!
Shebbie chic style (lit. "Shabby chic") was coined in the early 90s by the British Rachel Asheville, fond of the restoration of old furniture, which she found in flea markets in England. Over time, the hobby turned into a lifelong affair, and the style of its authorship gained popularity and grew the whole trend of interior design. Now Rachel is the author of 8 books on the Shebbi style, maintains her blog and creates collections of accessories and furniture for the branded network and online store. Below we will necessarily give you a link to it!
Repair in the kitchen Chebby Chic
So, you decided on the style and decided to start repairs. Excellent! But first we will tell you in which cases the repair can not be done, because Shebbi chic is exactly the style when a slight dilapidated finish gets its own special charm.
Do not do repairs if in your kitchen:
- slightly cracked plaster on the ceiling and paint on the walls;
- shabby old parquet;
- in places the cracked tile on the floor or in the apron of the headset;
- wallpaper of gentle pastel or restrained tones, wallpaper in a flower or with a classic floral pattern.
In this case, you can change only skirting boards and trim, and if desired, decorate the ceiling with stucco, which is not too difficult and expensive.
If you decide that repairs need to be done or you need to do it partially, then the following recommendations are for you.
- The whitewashed ceiling on the Shebbi kitchen is not a way to save, but a real designer move!
- More practical and easier option: stretch ceiling. This ceiling has many advantages: it is perfectly flat, durable, is not afraid of leaks and when installing it you can build a few, not one lamp. Choose matte or satin surfaces, but in no case glossy;
- The ceiling can be decorated with stucco and even gilt.
Walls: wallpaper, painting or panels?
- Wallpaper in the kitchen should be necessarily washable and dense;
- Single-color pastel shades - white, beige, light gray, blue, pink - will do. Patterns: small or large flower, vegetable pattern.
- Choose matt and semi-matt paints of high wear resistance especially for kitchens and wet rooms;
- Paint color: white, beige, light gray, blue, pink. The most advantageous are white and beige paint colors, because they visually expand the space and in case you want to change the style of the kitchen in the future, these colors will fit into any interior;
- Painted walls can be decorated with stucco moldings and moldings or make decoupage of walls by oneself.
- Suitable as plastic, imitating tiles or wood, and veneered and more expensive all-wood panels;
- The color of the panels should be light, most often in the design of the kitchen in the style of Shebbie chic white panels are used. If you want to use wood-panel or wooden panels, then such colors and types of wood as bleached oak, birch and beech are suitable. Especially good look wooden panels, painted with a simple white stain or paint.
Sex in the kitchen in the style of Shebbie chic must be not the main element of the decor, but the backdrop for the interior. Therefore, the main thing is that it is wear-resistant, and the color is suitable for any light or natural brown, both cold gray and warm tones.
- For the kitchen only a moisture resistant laminate with increased water-repellent capacity is suitable;
- Modern laminate is made by imitating any kind of wood, we recommend laminate for oak, light oak, birch or beech.
Porcelain tiles or tiles
- This is an excellent type of floor covering for the kitchen, but requires the installation of a "warm floor" system;
- Flooring in the kitchen is better done from matte, and not glazed or polished tiles / porcelain tiles, so that it is convenient and safe to walk, especially if the house has children;
- Look for a tile with a level of 3-4 for durability and 4-5 for hardness;
- Tiles and porcelain stoneware can be of different size and type, you can play with options for their masonry, for example, a classic staggered chessboard will be very appropriate in the kitchen in the style of Shebbi. Choose a tile light monophonic, imitating natural materials wood, stone, marble or with a floral pattern.
- Linoleum is relatively inexpensive and familiar for Russia flooring and it can also be used in the kitchen. Today, linoleum can be very high quality and it can be difficult to distinguish from laminate. Look for exactly such that it was as much like a natural tree. Or that the drawing on it was beautiful and high-quality;
- If you decide to choose linoleum, then pay attention to the commercial and semi-commercial types, because they are more wear-resistant.
Kitchen set and dining room
As we have already said, the main feature of Shebbie's style of chic was and remains "shabby" and vintage furniture. But modern Shebbie chic has undergone some changes. Now it is not necessary to buy a kitchen cupboard, tables and chairs with a touch of time - supposedly cracked paint and a tarnished tree, you can choose and brand new furniture in classic, rustic or country styles.
Now, the products suitable for the interior in the style of Shebbi can be found both in highly specialized shops and in ordinary furniture stores of domestic and foreign manufacturers.
The most unbeatable color of the headset is white, or restrained tones - beige and gray, lovers of bright colors will enjoy a set of pink or blue.
- White kitchen set Shebbie chic
- Gray Sheffield Chic Kitchen Set
- Blue Sheffield Chic Kitchen Set
Aprons of sets can be made from any natural materials or materials that adequately imitate them. The simplest and most popular option is a white glossy or matte ceramic tile that simulates brickwork.
- It is best to choose wood and decorated with carvings. Recently, it has become fashionable to use a table of untreated coarse wood;
- Table from untreated wood Shebbi chic
- Tablecloths Shebbie chic
- If you already have a table, but it does not fit into the style of Shebbi chic, then simply cover it with a cloth or a path made of linen, cotton or lace.
- Even the simplest wooden chairs will do;
- Figured chairs made of wood and even plastic of white, blue, pink colors - instantly transform your kitchen;
- Elegant leather upholstery or textile chairs contrast effectively with coarse or "worn" furniture items;
- Chairs that are supposedly brought from the garden - wicker or forged too organically fit into the interior, and in order to sit comfortably, place decorative cushions on them or put on sheepskins;
- For your future cuisine in the style of Chebby Chic fit not only chairs, but also benches;
- On holidays, you can decorate chairs with covers or tie ribbons, sachets or fresh flowers to their backs.
Lighting the kitchen in the style of Chebby - it's lamps and candles in elegant candlesticks.
- The best lighting option for this style is chandelier chandeliers. Depending on the budget, you can choose candelabra from glass, crystal or plastic;
- Wooden carob chandeliers with textile umbrellas can now be made to order, painted in any color and even artificially aged;
- Fixtures-drums and lampshades, umbrellas, upholstered in textiles, also fit well into the modern Shebbi-kitchen. Such a luminaire must be of high quality and evenly hanging;
- Lamps in the form of a lantern made of glass and metal of any color. It will seem that it burns real candles;
- Metal vintage lamps, like the old barn, look very stylish and set off the soft and "feminine" style of Shebbie chic.
Candles and candlesticks:
- Candles are faithful companions of a cozy and warm atmosphere. For your kitchen, any candles will work! Today, in a trend, put them in large metal candlesticks, candelabra or in candlesticks-lanterns. In the role of candlesticks, the most usual old bottles of wine and olive oil can perform. And let them light up only in the evening or on holidays, because even not lit candles look magical;
- Probably, Rachel Asheville, creating the author's style, did not use lanterns-garlands in the interiors. But now, fans of this direction decorate them with kitchens, dining rooms, living rooms, bedrooms and loggias, regardless of whether it's a holiday today or not. Hang and you garland with hearts or asterisks on the window or above the table and you will see how your kitchen will change, and children will definitely appreciate this design move;
- Curtains must be chosen from natural and mixed materials. For a budget variant, artificial cloth is also suitable, but it only mimics flax or cotton;
- The length depends on the size of the kitchen and the location of the window. Short or medium-length curtains - a win-win option for small kitchens. Long curtains in the floor - for dining rooms or large kitchens;
- Colors: white, color of unpainted flax, beige, light pink, light blue, gray. Curtains can be monophonic or with embroidered flowers, plant patterns, with beautiful prints and lace;
- Lambrequins will not be superfluous, let them be with ruches and flounces;
- Cornices can be any, even a fishing line or wire stretched over nailed nails with hooks-clothespins is appropriate. Tips for cornices can be chosen forged, with crystals, simple wooden, in the form of flowers and birds.
Shebbie chic style implies maximum attention to detail! It is interesting and delicately shaped things that, if inherited from you, or made by yourself, will make your kitchen unique.
Be sure to put live and artificial flowers. Artificial hydrangeas, lavender, lilies of the valley, heather, roses, peonies on the table will transform your kitchen. It is very beautiful especially in winter to put dried flowers and branches in glass vases and old bottles. Live plants will suit absolutely any: from geranium to ficus. Arrange them in beautiful pots and pots, purchase an iron or enameled watering can and then your Shebbi kitchen will be perfect!
Scandinavian fans of Shebby style are very fond of fluffy and delicate sheepskins. They can be put on the floor like a rug, but you can throw it on a chair. In Russia, such skins will look very organic. It is not necessary to buy a natural skin, a sheepskin made of artificial fur will come in handy. In addition, it is more practical option for the kitchen.
Pictures, baskets, watches
- In summer, harvest the herbarium in the country, beautifully lay dried flowers and leaves on paper and insert into the frame. You will get wonderful pictures that will remind you all year round about summer walks in nature;
- Decorate the kitchen with a reproduction of Claude Monet or Gustav Klimt, beautiful black and white or yellowed from time photos, posters of your favorite film of the 50-80s, old maps within or just beautiful still lifes and landscapes;
- In addition to paintings and plates, the walls can decorate wreaths from a variety of materials that are not difficult to make by themselves;
- In England, in the homeland of the style of Shebbi, the hostesses collected porcelain plates and decorated them with the walls of their kitchens. Hang and you a few on the wall, and put the remaining plates on the hanging shelves - the classic Chebby Kitchen is ready!
- Wicker baskets and baskets should be a lot! It is convenient for storing things, and, at the same time, makes your kitchen cozier;
- Metal baskets will bring even more "vintage" to your kitchen interior;
- The watches in England are given special importance, they must decorate your Shebbi kitchen and remind you of the five O'clock!
Tableware and kitchen utensils:
- Services of thin-walled porcelain or ordinary ceramics, elegant painted or rustic simple - this is not only dishes, but also an important element of decor;
- Vases, watering cans, milkmaids let flaunt on open shelves or in a cabinet-display;
- Napkins and tablecloths can be in a cage, in a flower, with embroidered family monograms, with lace or ruffles.
Where can I buy?
Well, we described the main elements of the style of Shebbie chic. It remains only to find them in your city or search in online stores.
Here are the useful links:
Shops with delivery in Russia
Stores without delivery to Russia, but you can order using shopfans.ru service:
. Online store of the same Rachel Asheville
- . Country in the city - we create a kitchen in a rustic style from scratch.
- . Guide to the style of the cafe in the interior of the kitchen.
- . Design kitchen in the style of Provence.
- . Kitchen in the American style: 20 key elements of design.
- . Indoor flowers and plants for the kitchen.
- . All about the interior design of the white kitchen.