- We make measurements
- Guide to the types of cornices
- General recommendations
In the window decoration, the cornice plays no less important role than the curtains themselves. For those who have to solve the window question, we have prepared a small overview of all types of designs, how to choose the cornice in the length, diameter and design, as well as a selection of video instructions for the independent installation.
We make measurements
Before choosing the curtain rod for the curtains in the kitchen, you need to measure the width of the window opening and calculate the length of the cornice using the following formula:
- The standard length of the cornice (when mounted to the ceiling or wall) = width of the window opening + 30-50 cm.
- The length of the cornice for installation inside the window niche = the width between the two walls of the window niche - (minus) the thickness of the fasteners.
By the way, with the help of a longer or shorter cornice, you can level out the shortcomings of the window in the kitchen.
- Too narrow a window will appear wider if you hang the cornice more authentic;
- Too wide a window can be reduced by selecting the cornice exactly along its width.
Guide to the types of cornices
Stained glass (telescopic)
Description:A small round or rectangular cornice, which is adjustable in length and fastened to the window frame. Suitable for stained glass curtains "hourglass" (pictured below) and curtains-cafe.
In which cases it is recommended:This type of cornice is ideal for classical interior, as well as for cuisine in the style of Provence, country, cheby chic. Stained-glass curtains (respectively, and the cornice too) is just a find if the window is a sink..
Made of:metal or plastic.
Mounting:The straps can be attached to the frame by self-adhesive hooks, on the screws-crutches and on the small brackets-holders (in the photo below). Most often telescopic cornices go to the pocket of the curtains, but if desired they can be hung on rings, hinges and clothespins.
Mounting the telescopic cornice on the window frame
Description:round cornice, performing not only practical, but also decorative function, as curtains do not close it. Depending on your design and weight of curtains, you can choose a bar diameter from 16 to 35 mm. And how to choose a cornice, suitable in length? There are three solutions:
- Buy the product in a specialized curtain shop, where you will cut the cornice of the required length to order.
- Buy a sliding bar and adjust its length by yourself.
- Buy the whole bar with a margin of length and be shortened with a stool or a hacksaw on its own.
- Buy two cornices of the same diameter and length, connect them with a special connector and, if necessary, shorten both bars.
The edges of the rod are necessarily covered with decorative tips.
In which cases it is recommended:This type of cornice is the most traditional and versatile. Cornices made of wood and wrought iron are suitable for interiors in the style of Provence and country. In the kitchen in the classical style, there will be organic cornices made of bronze metal (pictured above), brass, antique gold, etc. with tips in the form of cones, arrows or balls. For a modern interior, chrome, white or black cornice with laconic tips is more likely.
Made of:wood, metal or plastic.
Mounting:depending on the selected brackets, the bar can be hung not only to the wall, but also to the ceiling and between the walls. In addition, you can choose brackets for installing the eaves in two or three rows.
Further on the video there is a detailed master-class on installation of double-row rod cornice with their own hands.
Description:Tire cornice is a bar with grooves in which hooks for curtains are attached. Its peculiarity is that it is practically not visible above the curtains. Tires are two-row and three-row, their length is adjusted independently or is made up of two tires, in addition, they can be connected to rotary modules.
In which cases it is recommended:especially relevant tire cornice for wide windows, windows with access to the balcony, as well as if you do not want to complement the curtains with any unnecessary details.
Made of:plastic of white color.
Mounting:fasten the tires more often to the ceiling, but in combination with the brackets can be attached to the wall.
Below is a video-instruction how to hang a ceiling cornice.
Description:it is the same tire cornice, but complemented by a decorative baguette of wood or plastic, imitating a tree, with elements of gilding, carvings and other decor. In the next photo you can see how this design can look in the interior of the kitchen.
Description:Electroframe is a profile with hooks for hanging curtains, equipped with an electric drive, which allows Manage curtains manually and remotely - through the console, the stationary button or even through the Iphone (Smart system house). Such a cornice is available for sliding and Roman curtains, Japanese panels. In addition, the electric drive can be equipped with a flexible cornice for windows of complex shapes.
The price of cornices with an electric drive can vary greatly depending on the size of the cornice, the weight of the curtains (for example, the cornice for tulle will cost much less than for curtains), the type of control, the presence of a timer and etc.
In which cases it is recommended:Cornice with electric drive is especially important for hard to access windows and windows of complex shape. And yet this technological cornice is simply created for the kitchen in the style of high-tech.
Made of:metal (aluminum, steel) or plastic.
Mounting:The electric house can be fixed both to the ceiling and to the wall.
Description:A string cornice is a structure consisting of a steel cable (up to 8 mm in diameter) and two metal fasteners. It can be single row, double row and three row. In operation, the tension cornices are very convenient and simple.
In which cases it is recommended:string cornices fit perfectly into modern interiors and are especially suitable for hanging light curtains and tulle.
Mounting:can be installed to the ceiling or to the wall.
The photo below shows the popular string cornice Dignitet from Ikea.
Description:This type can be called an improved version of the profile cornice due to the fact that the profile in this case is equipped with a rail system. The sloping cornice can be supplemented with a plastic baguette imitating wood, metal, stucco, etc. The profile without baguette can be made in any color - from antique bronze to chrome.
Made of:metal and plastic.
Mounting:can be attached to the ceiling or to the wall.
Description:profile, which can bend, and with the help of special fasteners fix in the right direction.
In which cases it is recommended:Flexible cornices are designed for processing complex window openings (arched, pointed, angular or bay window (pictured), as well as in case the kitchen has round walls.
Made of:aluminum or plastic.
Mounting:can be attached to the ceiling or to the wall.
And here's a video on how to fix the cornice of flexible plastic.
- The smaller the diameter or thickness of the eaves, the easier it should be the curtains and vice versa.
- The more complex and elegant the design of the fabric, the laconic can be the cornice and vice versa.
- If the ceiling in the kitchen is low, it is recommended to give preference to the ceiling cornice or install a wall curtain, but slightly above the top edge of the window niche.
- The color of the cornice should be combined with curtains, kitchen handles, chandelier or other details of the interior.
- To ensure that the curtain always remains on the edge of the rod, do not forget to place one ring in the gap between the fastener and the tip during installation.
- Clips can be alternated with round rings, then the curtains will hold tight.
- If the length of the cornice is more than, m, and also if the curtains are very heavy, then for the reliability in the middle it is necessary to install the third bracket.
- To the kitchen curtains do not get dirty when opening or closing them, add curtains to the special driver bar.
And finally, we offer to see the story about how to choose the right cornice, brackets, rings and runners.
- . A guide for choosing Roman curtains for a window in the kitchen.
- . 10 window decoration ideas for the kitchen in the style of Provence.
- . Curtains for the kitchen: color, material, look and style.
- . Curtains-threads in the kitchen - choice, care, manufacture with their own hands.
- . Kitchen curtains on the eyelets - a modern fittings for modern curtains.
- . Curtains-arch for the kitchen - a master class on sewing and advice on the choice of design.