The content of the article:
Dijon mustard is known all over the world. Probably, there is no person who would not be guided by this gentle, slightly islanded, pleasant taste. We owe her appearance to the French city of the same name. On the shelves of stores, these products are presented in a huge range. But it turns out, this seasoning is not difficult to prepare and independently, at home.
Constant choice of kings
Everyone knows Burgundy, as a historical region, famous for its sights and unique French color. But few who are aware that this particular, comparatively small region, gave us that delicate taste for which we all so much like Dijon mustard. The photo of the original composition is presented above.
Historians say that mustard was used for more than three thousand years before our era. And used it not only in cooking, but also in medicine. It is believed that it came to Europe from Asia. But only in Dijon they were able to create that recipe, which later conquered the whole world.
A small French town was the center of mustard production in the early Middle Ages. Mustard is mentioned in the royal registers since 1292. It is known that this condiment was loved by Philip VI. For a long time in the houses of the nobility, it was an indispensable addition to the meal, emphasizing the refined taste of the owners of the house. And only in the XVIII century the spice became popular among other layers of the population.
Uniqueness in every grain
In 1937, the Ministry of Agriculture of France issued a certificate confirming the authenticity of the origin of Dijon mustard. That is, that the product is produced in a particular area, according to strictly established rules.
But the main thing is how Dijon mustard differs from ordinary mustard, this is its composition. Classical seasoning is made from brown grains, white wine, water and salt. And the seeds can be whole or chopped. But it is believed that they should be grown just under Dijon.
In addition, as part of Dijon mustard can be the juice of immature grapes, tarragon, lavender and so on. There are dozens of recipes that have a refined taste and a pleasant aftertaste. But they all have a soft consistency and a viscous structure.
White wine is added to the recipe to make the composition very soft. The result is a delicate structure, which is especially appreciated by gourmets.
Unlike the French sauce, ours is more spicy. Make it from the powder, which is obtained from the oil cake left after extraction of the oil. That is, a kind of non-waste production. In the dry composition, add sunflower oil. But such a fat is not capable of neutralizing sharpness and sharpness (only mustard oil can do this). Why is the domestic seasoning turns out to be very "evil". In the Dijon recipe, the grains are not processed. Therefore, they have a completely different taste.
Useful properties of spices
Dijon mustard is loved not only for a pleasant taste, but also a beneficial effect on the body. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. In addition, the spice contains a large number of vitamins, minerals, essential oils.
It includes such useful substances as:
- vitamins A, B, D, E;
- iron and others.
Thanks to the presence of special essential oils, Dijon mustard promotes the breakdown of fats, improves metabolism, helps quickly and easily digest food. Particularly useful product for those who seek to lose weight.
Microelements contained in grains help restore the correct carbon and protein balance.
Taste that is not forgotten
Dijon mustard is perfectly combined with any meat and vegetables. It is added to pork, beef, lamb, chicken, fish and so on. It is indispensable in salads, sauces, dressings. Wherever the mustard is not present, it can literally transform the dish. It becomes special, with a delicate, delicate taste.
If you are a great admirer of Dijon mustard, we suggest preparing it at home. It is not difficult to do. In addition, you can always balance the composition to your liking. And given that there are more than one dozen recipes, you can independently prepare different sauces each time. We offer some of the most popular ways how to make Dijon mustard at home.
This seasoning is characterized by a mild taste, a familiar aroma and consistency. Its peculiarity is that the preparation uses not classic black, but white grains. It is these seeds that make the composition very gentle and pleasant. This recipe for Dijon mustard at home is easiest to prepare.
For sauce it will be required:
- 100 g of grains of white mustard;
- 230 g of white wine;
- 1 hour l. liquid honey;
- 1 hour l. sunflower refined oil;
- garlic, salt, sweet pepper in beans, cloves, other herbs at will.
- Seeds of mustard and pepper must be grinded with a coffee grinder. Grinding grain is recommended separately.
- Wine needs to be warmed up.
- In a warm liquid put chopped garlic, pepper, other spices at will and boil a couple of minutes.
- Then the mixture must be cooled and filtered.
- In the liquid add honey, sunflower oil, salt and stir well to obtain a homogeneous mass.
- This mixture must be poured into the prepared mustard, mix well, pour into a glass container and put in the refrigerator.
Let the day stand and you can eat. It is very tasty with both white and red meat. The main thing is, do not add vinegar to it, as it will not be Dijon mustard.
Sauce, cooked this way, is obtained with a weak bitterness and sweet and sour taste.
For the recipe you need to take:
- 200 g of dark mustard seeds;
- 100 g of white wine;
- 100 g of balsamic;
- 100 g of olive oil;
- 1 tbsp. l, flower honey;
- 1 hour l. salts;
- 1 hour l. chopped black pepper.
- Before you start to prepare Dijon mustard at home, you need to pour a grain of a hundred grams of water and leave for a few hours.
- Soften the seeds slightly. For this, it is best to use a special mortar with a pestle.
- Honey, wine, balsamic, butter, salt, mix well, so that no crystals remain.
- Add the pepper and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into mustard, gently combine, transfer to a jar, leave for a few hours.
Expressiveness of the sauce depends on the size of mustard grains. The more they are, the more vivid the flavor of the seasoning.
This sauce is prepared longer than the previous ones. But the mixture turns out to be unusual, with a light note of citrus aroma and an exotic aftertaste. How Dijon mustard looks like this recipe can be seen in the photo.
For preparation it will be required:
- 200 g of mustard seeds;
- 50 g of squeezed orange juice;
- 50 g of purified vegetable oil (both sunflower and olive oil can be used);
- 200 g of white wine;
- 1 tbsp. l. liquid honey;
- 1 tbsp. l. salt.
This recipe for Dijon mustard is prepared in several stages:
- Mustard seeds must be rinsed well.
- Transfer the seeds into a container, add wine and orange juice.
- All mix, cover and put on the cold for 1 - 2 days.
- After this, the mixture must be removed and left on the table until it becomes room temperature.
- Then add honey, butter and salt to the composition.
- All mix well, put on fire, cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Next, you need to take a fourth of the mass and grind it in a blender to a creamy consistency.
- Mix the crushed and whole grains.
This recipe can be supplemented with other spices to your liking. This sauce is stored for about three months in the refrigerator.