Apple tree of Zhigulevsky variety- a tree, the fruit on which ripen only in the autumn, depending on the variety of terrain, apples can be eaten either in early autumn, or only late..
Table of contents
- Description of grade Zhigulevskoye
- Advantages and disadvantages
- How to store apples
- How to properly cover for the winter apple tree
- How to properly cut
- How to care
- Diseases and pests
Description of grade Zhigulevskoye
Experiments on the breeding of the Zhigulevskoye variety were carried out by Russian botanists and breeders in Samara on a special research base. During the studyTwo varieties of apples crossed-Russian and American.
This variety is considered viable, in addition, the apples are large, each of them reaches a mass of 250 grams. The apples themselves are round in shape, color from red to maroon. They taste pleasant, sweet, with a sensible sourness.
These apples can not be called succulent, so about their taste is appropriate to say "to the lover." The skin of the apple is thick, protects the flesh, which in color with a noticeable yellowness, creamy color.
The optimal time for collecting apples of the Zhigulevskoye variety is September 5.
The apple tree is "alive its buds open early and quickly, it begins to bear fruit for the fourth year after planting, the crown The tree is not thick, so the trunk and branches are sufficiently illuminated by the sun's rays, and this contributes to high productivity.
This variety is recognized self-polluting, so it will be difficult to shoot a lot of harvests from the apple tree if it grows lonely and the owner of the garden does not take care of the nearby neighbors.
Besides,it is advantageous to plant such apple trees next to those places where there is an apiaryor beekeeping farms. The smell of apple blossoms attracts bees and they can help to pollinate the plant.
If the pollination is successful, then you can wait for the harvest, which is enough not only for yourself, but some of the apples can be sold..
Advantages and disadvantages
It can not be said that the apple tree of the Zhigulevskoye variety is a tree that is easy to take care of and has a lot of advantages.
Likely,it is planted by those who simply like the taste of apples, but this is why.
Disadvantages of the variety:
- From a sort-parent, American apple-tree Wagner,Zhigulevskoe inherited a poor ability to winter, so you have to work hard so that the apple tree normally hibernates and does not freeze, otherwise, next year you will have to forget about your favorite apples.
- The Zhigulevskoye variety is not resistant to scab, a disease that is caused by an abundance of moisture, so in the middle zone of Russia, the apple tree is unlikely to yield a crop. It can not be said that it is protected from other pests.
- When the tree becomes mature, it ceases to bear fruit regularly,crops occur every few years.
The advantages of the variety are the following:
- Apples are stored for a long time, whole, undamaged fruit can lie about two months.
- High yield.
How to store apples
Store apples in a specially designated room, the temperature of which is up to 0 degrees.
After removing the apples from the tree,do not need to wash or rub them, this damages the protective wax layer.
Apples need to be wrapped in paper and put in boxes or other clean containers, then they can be stored almost until the winter..
How to properly cover for the winter apple tree
The region of natural growth is the middle belt of Russia. With proper care, it survives well and winters in other areas.
It is widely believed thatapple trees should be sheltered for the winter only because it does not break the frost.
With this, no one argues, so everything should be done, but one must also know thatapple trees and other trees are sheltered for the winter from hares and other rodents, who roam in search of food and can severely spoil the apple tree.
Besides,the apple-tree is also sheltered from the windso that it does not break from his impulses, but there are no burns left on the bark.
Thus, harboring apple trees for the winter is an important procedure that will help keep the trees in order. It's important not to miss the right time.
You may be interested in these publications:
- Description of the Colon-shaped Apples. President.
- Description and features of varieties of apples Anise.
- Detailed description of the variety of apples Kandil Orlovsky.
What is to be done,so that the apple-tree overwintered:.
- Even before the onset of frost, but not after them, the apple tree should be watered and fertilized with manure.
- Examine the bark for aging and damage. Remove all unnecessary and dry bark, however, you need to do this very carefully, so as not to damage the healthy bark.
- The trunk must be treated with a solution of iron sulfate, this protects against parasites, including lichen.
- After that, heat the trunk with the help of soil. To do this, the soil from your own garden is suitable. Pour it around the barrel and tamper, but not much.
- To ensure reliable preservation of the apple tree, the place near the trunk should be densely tossed with grass (even torn weeds from the garden, twigs, the ideal option - spruce lapnik, so if possible, then you need to use him).
- When the snow falls, it is advisable to collect it more and additionally cover it with an apple tree.
- During the winter, you can not remove such a blanket, otherwise the apple tree will die.
To determine the state of a tree and whether it has died,cut off the twig and carefully examine it.
If the section is saturated white, then the tree is all right.If it turns brown or brown, this means that the care was not very good and the apple tree was still frozen.
It is not necessary to make such conclusions ahead of time, only a few branches could freeze. It is not necessary to run after the ax in frustrated feelings and get rid of the apple tree, you need to wait until spring and once again see how the tree will behave.
It is believed thatIn intensive winterization only young trees are needed, the older the tree, the less it should be sheltered..
How to properly cut
While the apple tree is still young, it must be cut regularlyto form the correct crown. If this is done correctly, then the apple tree will be more and more fruitful. Crop the apple tree only in the second year after it was planted.
To make the apples large and delicious,it is necessary to engage in thinning ovaries. This requires a central fetus from the beam.
If you do not, then apples will be small and tasteless, they will not ripen enough..
How to care
For the apple tree to grow and yield,It is necessary to apply fertilizers based on nitrogen. Signal to the fact that this substance is not enough, will be yellow leaves, which are showered out of season.
To form a kidney,It is necessary to use phosphorus fertilizers. For young shoots to appear, develop and grow, a fertilizer based on calcium is needed.
You need to bring fertilizers every year, the best time for this is autumn.
Diseases and pests
To protect the tree from this pest, you need to take preventive measures, such ascleaning of fallen apples and leaves, digging up the soil under the apple tree, cleaning the bark.
If such a pest was noticed, thenit is necessary to place traps on caterpillars, they are placed on the trunk. When the caterpillars fall into a trap, they need only be removed from there in time and destroyed.
To prevent parasites from returning,Spray the trunk with wormwood solution.
The bark of the tree is dark in color, soit can be exposed to sunburn. This helps whitewash or wrapping a tree with thick paper.
Нина, 41 year, Saratov: "Some of my favorite apples, sour, tasty. Their only drawback is that they hibernate badly. For me, the value of the storage period of apples is important, the Zhigulevskys do not fail, they are stored for a long time, especially in the cellar. "Otzyvy.pro
Igor, 38 years old, Rostov-on-Don: "The variety ripens late, in order for the taste qualities to be brighter, you need to give the apples some time to lie down. I can not say that I love them madly, but I do not refuse them either. "
Larissa, 52 years old, Mozhaisk: "Beautiful apples, one of my favorites, are enjoyed by the whole family with pleasure. I have been cultivating for many years and I plan to expand the planting area, I will grow it for sale, because apples like not only me, but also friends, neighbors. "Answers to mail.ru
Dmitry, 42 years old, Shchelkovo: "I love apples, I have been cultivating them for many years, Zhigulyevskoe acquired a variety for a long time and did not regret it. It is necessary to wrap up the apple tree well during the cold, but tasty and fragrant apples are eaten by the whole family almost until the winter itself. Suffices not only for food, but also for various home preparations: compotes, jam, jam, which in winter perfectly goes to pies. "Website Megaorodny
In this way,the apple tree of the Zhigulevskoye variety definitely deserves to decorate your summer residence..