- 16 tricks of small kitchen design
A small kitchen can be cozy and super-functional. Just its design requires a little more careful planning and non-standard solutions. In this material, we presented 16 receptions that will help you equip a small kitchen, and collected 70 photos of beautiful interiors for your inspiration.
16 tricks of small kitchen design
Reception 1. Bid on white color
White is the best friend of a small kitchen. After all, it reflects light, reinforcing the sense of space, and visually separates the walls. If you use it not only in the decoration, but to choose furniture in white, it will seem that space has no borders at all.
To the interior of a small kitchen did not seem too sterile, use a few shades of white and combine different textures. For example, the facades of the kitchen can be glossy, the walls are frosted, and the apron is decorated with white "boar" tiles.
Do not be afraid that the white surfaces will doom you to incessant cleaning. As practice shows, they are no more marquee than the surfaces of other colors, and even more practical than dark ones. And in general, the spaces, decorated in light colors, always seem more neat than the colorful interiors.
White small kitchen in stalinka
See also: Kitchen design 5 sq. M. meters from repair to decoration.
Reception 2. Kitchen planning L-shaped
In most cases, the L-shaped set is the optimal solution for a small kitchen. After all, it allows you to use two adjacent walls and the angle between them, place the stove, sink and refrigerator according to the principle of "working triangle" and at the same time leave enough room for the dining room.
- However, in a very small kitchen, the only possible option is most often a linear layout.
Design a very small kitchen
- If the kitchen is narrow, then you can consider a two-row layout. The main thing is that the passage between the furniture is not less than 100 cm.
- On a square kitchen area of at least 9 square meters. meters you can arrange furniture in a U-shape. This type of layout is the most convenient for cooking, but it takes a lot of space. Below is an example of the design of a 9-meter kitchen with a U-shaped set.
See also: How to equip the kitchen area of 6 square meters. meters.
Reception 3. Re-planning is the best way to increase space
Redevelopment always complicates, tightens and expensive repairs, because to conduct it, you need to prepare a project and get permission from housing inspections. However, it is through it that you will achieve the best results.
- Combining a small kitchen with a living roomNOTwill increase the area, but it will help create a feeling of a more spacious, bright and modern space.
- Also, the kitchen can be increased by a balcony or loggia.
- In some cases, the kitchen can be combined with the hallway / corridor or completely move it there.
To avoid visual confusion, the combined space should be physically or visually zoned. Here are a few ideas:
- Zoning with different finishes of the floor, walls and / or ceiling.For example, the kitchen area can be tiled, and the living room / hall area - parquet board (see. Example on the photo below). Also in the kitchen will be appropriate multi-level ceiling, which will, first, hide some communications, and secondly, will share space.
Design of a small kitchen in Khrushchev
- Use of furniture as a separator.On the border between the kitchen and the living room you can put a sofa, console, table-island, rack or bar (see. photo below). The main thing is that the dividing furniture does not interfere with the penetration of sunlight.
- Zoning with partitions.The partitions can be low (they can be used as a bar table or peninsula), glass (so that light can penetrate into the rooms unimpeded) or in the form of sliding doors.
Example of zoning kitchen in the studio apartment
Keep in mind that open planning has its drawbacks: lack of privacy, the need to always maintain order in both zones, the penetration of noise and smells throughout the apartment.
See material on the topic: Kitchen 7 sq. M. meters for 9 steps.
Reception 4. Use no more than 2-3 colors when drawing up the color scheme of the interior
So you avoid the feeling of congestion and make the situation orderly. Another tip: bright and dark colors in the design of a small kitchen are quite acceptable, but in small doses and in combination with a neutral background.
Reception 5. Using the built-in technique of reduced size
You can save space in the kitchen due to household appliances. First, it must necessarily be built-in, not stationary. So you save not only precious centimeters, but also create the effect of seamlessness and homogeneity of the facades of the working area. Secondly, if possible, the technique should be selected in a smaller size.
So, instead of the standard dishwasher, it is better to choose a machine with a width of 45 cm, and a cooking surface - with two, rather than four, burners.
Thirdly, try to pick up multifunctional devices, for example, a multivark-bakery or an oven-microwave oven.
Tiny kitchens - tiny appliances
Reception 6. Uniform lighting - the secret of comfort and a sense of spaciousness
To make a small kitchen cozy and spacious, you need to create the right lighting. It should be uniform, pleasant to the eye, without sharp shadows, narrowing the space. The familiar scheme of "central chandelier + furniture lighting" in a small, much less narrow room, only harm. But spotlights, installed along the perimeter of the ceiling or wall sconces, installed evenly on the walls, will create the desired effect of soft light.
But the ceiling chandelier / composition of the hangers is to hang at a height of 70 cm directly above the dining table.
Reception 7. Set with an additional tier
If there is not enough space to store things, then you need to use the height. A kitchen set with an additional tier and lined up to the ceiling will provide you with a lot of places, where it will be possible to arrange glass, festive dishes, grocery stocks or just trash like bottles for jam.
High kitchen set for a small kitchen
Reception 8. Facing walls with mirrors
Mirrors in a small kitchen can create a miracle - to "double" it. If you hang a mirror in front of the window, the amount of light in the room will also double. Here are three ways to use this trick:
- Facing the apron;
- Finishing one wall completely;
- Facing the mirror with a fragment of the wall, for example, near the dining area;
- Installation of a conventional floor mirror.
Reception 9. Finishing with "optical illusion"
Ideally, the walls of a small kitchen should be monophonic, but some types of prints and patterns can visually enlarge the space:
- If you paint one accent wall in a wide horizontal strip, the walls seem to move apart and the room will appear wider. This method is great for elongated and narrow rooms, but not suitable for low.
- Small kitchens often have low ceilings. Correct this drawback will help wallpaper in a vertical strip or with a vertical pattern, for example, in the form of trees. True, any verticals somewhat narrow the space, so they should be used in moderation, for example, only on one wall.
- To stretch the ceiling of a small kitchen up will help and wallpaper in a diamond.
By the way, large and bright patterns and prints of a small kitchen are contraindicated, as they visually overload the interior and make space even smaller.
Similarities will work with the finishing of the floor:
- Floorboards / lamellas / tiles in a small kitchen are best laid diagonally. If the kitchen is narrow, then the laminate / parquet board should be laid across the room. One-lane laying of the board / laminate is preferable to stacking in a descent or "herringbone" with small dies.
Just as clothing with horizontal stripes visually increases the volume of a person, the striped floor as in this photo will stretch the kitchen with a small area
Reception 10. Finding hidden reserves for storing things
If the storage area is sorely lacking, take note of the following solutions:
- From two pencil cases and hanging cupboards you can make a niche, and in it place a small dining area. It is important that at the same time the furniture is white or in the tone of the walls.
- You can hang cabinets or shelves directly above the door.
- Benches, banquettes of kitchen corners, pouffes or sofas often have built-in boxes hidden under the seat.
- The place under the sink can serve as a repository for household trivia.
- To free up space on the countertop or locker will help small banks, whose covers are screwed to the bottom of the enclosure. They are convenient to store spices and other bulk products.
- If you are using a stationary refrigerator, use the space above or around it for your benefit.
Reception 11. Multi-function and compact dining room furniture
- If a way of life allows, instead of a dining table establish a bar rack, a folding or coffee table.
Small kitchen with breakfast bar
Folding table folded more like a hinged shelf
- If the mini-tables are not for you, choose a rectangular or square table, not round or oval. It is desirable that it is visually light and not too large. It is good, if the table will be laid out and / or have built-in boxes for storage of napkins, candles and other trifles.
Rectangular kitchen table in a small kitchen
Choosing a dining table or, say, a bar counter, try to buy not too big, but not too small furniture. Remember that one person has a seat about 60 cm wide. The depth of the table top should be at least 45 cm.
- Chairs for a small kitchen will suit the lungs in weight and in appearance. If guests often come to you, take out folding chairs, which you can fold and hang on the wall.
- Transparent chairs from polycarbonate (the price for a chair-replica Louis Ghost 4-5 TR) - a super-idea for a small kitchen. After all, they do not completely clutter the interior due to their "invisibility they can stack on each other, almost do not scratch, do not break, they are easily cleaned and weigh a little.
Reception 12. Redesign of a window sill
For example, make it a part of the headset or turn it into a bar counter. Just do not forget to make a few holes in the window top to circulate warm air. Otherwise, the windows will be constantly misted, and this threatens the appearance of mold.
In the following photos, you can see examples of making a window sill in a more functional place.
Window sill as a continuation of the table top and headset
Reception 13. Denial of the door
Swing door "eats" a lot of space and clutters a small kitchen, so it is desirable to abandon it. Instead, you can simply leave an open doorway, decorated with platbands, remake it into an arch, hang a curtain or install sliding doors.
Keep in mind that the open doorway gives some inconvenience. For example, the smells of food more penetrate into all adjacent rooms, and any noise from the kitchen can be heard throughout the apartment.
Reception 14. Minimum decor and decorations
So, for example, magnets brought from travel should be removed from the refrigerator and taken to the dacha. However, completely to refuse accessories and ornaments it is not necessary, differently the interior becomes as if not inhabited. Live plants, pairs of paintings / posters and hours on the wall will be enough.
Reception 15. Window decoration with short and concise curtains
For a small kitchen, the following types of curtains are ideal:
- Roman curtains;
- Rolling shutters;
- Classic shortened curtains with easy assembly;
Roman curtains in a small kitchen
Reception 16. Elimination of confusion
The fewer things in a small kitchen, the better. Try to organize storage so that everything that is usually placed on the table top (from dishes to equipment) was hidden in drawers and lockers.
- . Furniture for a small kitchen - the secrets of designers in one article.
- . Design and repair of a small kitchen in Khrushchev - 13 tested solutions.
- . Planning and repair of a small kitchen.
- . Kitchen design 8 sq. M. m in seven steps.
- . 10 tips for improving the kitchen area of 9 square meters. meters.
- . Kitchen design 10 sq.m. m.