- Choose a table cloth for 6 steps
- Photo gallery of ideas
How can you quickly refresh the bored interior of the kitchen or create a holiday atmosphere in it? Simply simple - just lay a new tablecloth on the table! For those who are in search of ideas for textile decor, want to buy or sew a tablecloth with their own hands, we have prepared a large selection of inspirational photos and a 6-step guide of choice.
Choose a table cloth for 6 steps
The tablecloth is an ornament of a table, an important detail of its festive or daily serving and the whole interior of the kitchen. It mutes the sound of instruments and protects the surface of the countertop from household contamination.
1. Determine the purpose of tablecloths
Depending on the purpose for which you want to purchase or sew a tablecloth, the choice of material and its size depends. Tablecloths can be banquet, wedding, decorative or tea, but since we are talking about choosing a tablecloth in the kitchen, there are only 3 options:
- Everyday - from practical tissues (we'll talk about them just below) and with a small overhang about 20 cm;
- Festive - holiday tablecloths can be simply elegant, and can be thematic, for example, New Year's or children's. They can be several in different colors and styles, the overhang at them can be 25-40 cm, if desired - in the floor, as in the photo below;
- Guest (tea) - such textiles do not have to be, but it is very convenient if, for example, you will be visited by a few guests who can be seated at the table in folded, not folded.
2. We find the optimal size
Before going to the store or atelier, measure the countertop - we measure the diameter of a round one, the square one has the length of one side, otherwise:
- The length and width of a rectangular table;
- Diameter of small and large oval countertop.
Now we determine how long the overhang is needed. It can vary from 20 to 40 cm - a long length is suitable only for banquet and decorative tables, and a smaller one will look too short.
If you buy a tablecloth in the store, then in order not to make a mistake with the size, you can calculate the desired parameters and look for the finished models as close as possible to them:
- Length of countertop + (length of desired overhang x 2) = length of tablecloth
- Width of tabletop + (length of desired overhang x 2) = width of tablecloth
If you want to sew a tablecloth yourself, then you need to add to these calculations and allowances, but talk about this in more detail in a separate article.
3. We choose the form
Here everything is simple:
- For a rectangular table, a rectangular tablecloth is suitable, at the most extreme - an oval;
- For square - square or round;
- For an oval table, you need an oval tablecloth or rectangular as in the photo below;
- For round table - round tablecloth or square;
4. Choose the color and design of the tablecloth
The color of the tablecloth depends on your personal preferences, the color scheme of the interior of the kitchen / dining room, and also on what you want Do you want it to play the role of a color accent or, on the contrary, counterbalance the bright serving and the situation of the room.
- You can navigate the rest of the textiles in the room - curtains, napkins, upholstery furniture, pillows;
The design and decor of the tablecloth depends on the purpose of its destination and on the style of the interior. Here are some tips:
- If you need a "workhorse" for each day, then let the fabric be with a soft pattern or pattern, as too variegated will create a sense of disorder on the table;
- If you want to buy a universal festive tablecloth, then choose the fabric of base colors - white, cream, beige, light gray with a restrained pattern. Of course, the most traditional and no-lose option is white;
- Today in a fashion double holiday tablecloths as on a photo more low when both fabrics echo or contrast with each other on color and drawing;
- Consider the style of the interior. So, for example, in the kitchen in the style of Provence will be appropriate fabrics in polka dots or in a cage "Vichy plain linen, sackcloth or crocheted like in the photo below.
Embroidered cotton or crocheted tablecloths with lace, flounces and ruffles, in a flower or cage, and for the kitchen in the Scandinavian style bright fabrics in stripes, with drawings or inscriptions, stitched in the technique of patchwork etc.
5. We select the material
For everyday tablecloths practical, easy-to-care tissues are needed:
- Synthetic fabric- Polyester fabrics are easy to wash, as the stains in them are not eaten, in addition, they are durable, keep in shape, do not crumple, do not sit down, do not fade and are inexpensive. But synthetics loses in appearance to natural fabrics, and the main thing - it is fire dangerous, therefore on such cloths it is impossible to put candles and hot utensils.
- Tablecloth with Teflon impregnationIs a modern hygienic, waterproof and fireproof material made of cotton impregnated with Teflon. Teflon tablecloth is not similar to an oilcloth, but also is not afraid of difficult spots.
However, unlike the oilcloth material, the Teflon tablecloth is not afraid of hot dishes or mold, since Teflon only covers cotton fibers, without hammering holes between them and allowing the canvas "breathe". Another plus - they often have a very original design. For example, you can easily find tablecloths in the style of Provence - in a cage, in peas, under burlap or flax. Teflon tablecloth has also disadvantages - it's a limited choice (in comparison with natural fabrics) and a short service life of Teflon impregnation, which will eventually get damaged and get off.
For festive serving it is better to choose natural fabrics:
- Cotton- Sits after washing and short-lived with daily use. When choosing the size of a cotton ready-made model or fabric for sewing, consider its shrinkage - add another 10 cm to the length of the overhang, ie it will be, for example, not 30 cm, but 40 cm.
- Linen- Linen tablecloths are traditional, beautiful, dense, heavy, durable and expensive. Linen tablecloth always looks noble and stylish. Cons: strongly sits down after washing, difficult to wash and iron. A linen fabric for tailoring or a finished model should also be bought with allowance for shrinkage, adding to the desired length of the overhang 15 cm. Of course, you need to wash the flax at a temperature of 30 degrees.
- Sackcloth- Recently, this jute material has gained great popularity thanks to the fashion for the style of provence, country, loft, industrial, cheby chic. From the burlap, wedding and festive tablecloths are often sewn with flounces in rustic or maritime style.
- Silk- Silk table textile is a solemn and luxurious version, which is worthy of the most refined and elegant serving. Silk is durable, wear-resistant and moisture resistant, but it is expensive, capricious in care and requires an acute treatment.
6. Choose optional accessories
If you want, you can add a tablecloth with napkins, podtarelnikami or runner, that is, a narrow tablecloth-track, which resembles a Slavic towel.
- Runner (track, tablecloth-slider)- put either one track along the table (you can without eaves) or somewhat crosswise (with overhang). In the first case on the runner laid out dishes, a vase of flowers, etc. In the second (photo below) - the tracks play the role of subtitles.
- Countertops- can be made of different materials - wood, plastic, fabric, cork. In the trend, sub-plates from woven rattan or bamboo as in the photo below.
Photo gallery of ideas
And now we present you a selection of ideas and photos of beautiful tablecloths in a variety of styles - from "Provence" to Scandinavian.
- Ideas for decorating tablecloths with your own hands
- Sewing ideas in patchwork technique
- Ideas for knitting crocheted tablecloths (scroll to the right)
- Ideas for tablecloths in a flower, cage, strip and peas
- Design Ideas with Lace
- Ideas of a tablecloth with flounces and ruches
- And other interesting ideas
- . We sew a tablecloth for 1 evening: a master class for beginners.
- . All about sewing an apron for the kitchen - instruction, tips and photos for inspiration.
- . Ideas and master classes on sewing stitches with their own hands.
- . We sew a kitchen towel - a master class and decor ideas with our own hands.
- . Sewing a children's apron: a master class, ideas and 70 photos for inspiration.